Didn't We Used to Smoke the Leaves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't We Used to Smoke the Leaves?

So, I was looking at a big fat bag of buds the other day and thinking that I don't remember weed looking like that in the 80's. If I remember correctly, it was really mostly shake and very leafy, but we did indeed get quite high off of it. Why don't people generally smoke the leaves, even if they have a lesser THC content? Can the leaves be used to make oils and such?

i remember getting that shaky shit now n then back in the 80s. always came at a dicount if not free, lol. cheap stone. but good indica buds have been fairly available in washington state since the dawn of mankind, i believe. even my uncles knew the good shit through the 60s and 70s. but they never passed on bags of clippings either cuz you get stoned for a lot cheaper. i think nowadays the vast majority of us have become bud snobs especially in legal states. that and making hash and edibles etc is a far more palatable way to use those trimmings!

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes indeed, call me a bud snob!!
      I do remember back in the 60s smoking stuff that didn't do a thing to me and in the 70s getting lots of seeds and sticks in each bag of weed.

Absolutely, late 60's early 70's don't know about the 80's cause by then I had to quit, but yes stems, sticks, leaves. what buds where there had seeds in them. I think the first I remember, (at least on the East coast) Acapulco gold, came along early 70's, it did have the yellow gold color and like the song said "Those stems and seeds that you don't need". Then there was a time when Hawaiian hit the street, very strong but I think that still had seeds. I think most of what we got was Columbian, mass produced and pressed into bricks.

So Moriane, I have saved all my leaves that I snipped away, and to the bud snobs out there (lol) after 30 years of not smoking, when the time comes, during the curing of my buds, I will practice on smoking the leaves.

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      In the late 60's and 70's, we would not buy baggies unless there were some seeds in them, too many scammers selling chopped up male plants!

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Practice makes perfect!! ;-}

I'm still smoken them,some of my friends can't Handel a pure bud high(light weights)so I mix or cut the bud with leaves.the high is still there just not as intense.My .02$

Comment

• PigSquishy
      PigSquishy commented
      Editing a comment
      My friends can't even make it through a single bowl to 3-4 of them smoking on it, so like you said I have been cutting it with leaves and they can't believe how great it is... LMAO

Hey Potted, or really anyone, except bud snobs, lol. . -- question -- Which leaves would be the best to smoke or save?? Does a young plant leaves have the same strength as an older plant? Are the sugar leaves better than the big Fan leaves? Just wondering, if it makes a difference on what to save or toss?

Comment

• Potted
      Potted commented
      Editing a comment
      Not all leaves are created equal the first mounth not very good and as the plant matures the leaves get better more THC as for sugar leaves thier OK with me smoke I'm if u got I'm .peace

• PigSquishy
      PigSquishy commented
      Editing a comment
      According to Ed Rosenthal's book From Trash To Stash "all mature leaves on a cannabis plant contain THC", that being said the book brings out not to waste anything from the stem to the leaves, I knew most of it, but if you want to really squeeze everything you can out of the plant there is quite a bit of extra's you can get for things if you are willing to put in a little work for it.

Howdy morlane, I use all of my leafy trim (and smaller stems) to make dry ice hash, which I bake and use as a 'tea'. Very nice and relaxing way to start the day. Maybe I'm just cheap, "waste not, want not".
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

This is great, I'd love to try making oils or something out of the leaves. It's great they don't go to waste. I'll probably even dry them and try them out for a puff.

Comment

• DW2
        DW2 commented
        Editing a comment
        They need to be 'cured' like the buds do. The leaf will be harsher when smoked. I believe that it is because the 'structural' parts of the plant contain a greater amount of silicates in the tissue (support and rigidity). That is why I extract the good stuff with the dry ice, it can be smoked or cooked, use it for edibles or as a tea. As Mongol (from 'Blazing Saddles') would say, "Less hacking, good"! (LOL)

• PigSquishy
        PigSquishy commented
        Editing a comment
        I know both from the books and from years previous, to lessen the harshness of the leaves, first soak them in ICE WATER for a little bit, and then rinse and dry them when they are fresh, as I recall it has something to go with the chlorophyll in them,,. all I know is if you soak and rinse as directed in Ed's Book "From Trash To Stash" I've known guys to smoke on the leaves all ground up (no bud) and think it was okay bud... never telling them it wasn't any bud... just leaves.

I was thinking about rolling with some fan or sugar leaves...anyone try or hear of this?
      Current set up: 4 Bagseed
      1000w Kind LED
      Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil(not mixed)
      GH flora trio
      CalMag
      5 gal Smart Pot
      cheap fan
      cheap heater

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        I would juice a fan leave and smoke a sugar leaf... I don't think there's much THC at all in the fan leaves...

• DW2
        DW2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Have not tried it myself, but if One was to cure the fan leaves, like cigar wrappers are, soft, supple, and no green. Fill and roll with the cured and chopped sugar leaves, One could have some little skunk stogies! I think that dontknownuttin had a photo of some thing like that a few weeks ago, I think, maybe flash back time! LOL!

I trim but leave a good amount of sugar to latch on the buds. Works for me. Best smoke ever is your own

Comment

I remember the 70's, $10 - 4 fingers!! At least in SoCal!! A bunch of us are dating ourselves!!

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I recall. When I was a girl, I would walk five miles in the snow to cop a lid, and then I'd walk back!! These young whippersnappers these days have a dispensary a block away!!!!

• DW2
          DW2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Was the trip 'up hill' both ways? LOL

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          DW2, How did you know???!!! And I didn't have any boots--just leather hippie sandals...

Yanno, I have been watching, I think it's on Netflix, the 60's, by CNN. After watching most of that series and thinking I lived through all of that -- I'm proud to be dated.

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          We are aged, like fine bottles of wine. I used to be dated, but I prefer being on my own now...

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X