Choosing a mother plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing a mother plant

Hi yall. Im eager to sprout the seeds I ordered (sour bubble, sour strawberry, and lifesaver) Bogs seeds rock seriously got 1 - 3 extra seeds in every pack!
    I would like to put one of each outside this yr but really dont want to have any end up being male. Does anyone have a simple way to go about this? I have time to plan still but not a ton and I have no veg room set up (yet). Im looking to bring my flower room out into the main bedroom/converted walk in closet and use the closet in that room they are in as a veg station. Im in a legal state and we can have 12 plants protected by the law. I can fit 3 max under each of my p600s so leaves me with 6 plants. Thinking I could make my garden into a peretual harvester. Find a good stable mother of each of the 3 genetics I have. And cycle in a clone of each every harvest or staggered to about 1 plant harvested a month? Also I have a gsc clone I made thats still small so dont really want to flower with the rest of them. And I have 3 blue dream clones just rooting right now. I wish I could have a mother of each! Feel like I should clone my sweettooth as well now lol ahhaha. Seriously cannabis is my passion and I have some knowlege and know about what i want to and need to do but I have only done some limited grows always with a friend((besides my first one)which I will never recomend to anyone lol) because I never really had a space of my own. Well the times they are a changing.. and now its my labratory.. my kitchen... my house! Im so excited everyday and its a feeling I know will never go away.. as long as the light are on and theres pretty girls smiling up at them 😄

Anyone have a super strategy for choosing mothers without having put the plant through a harvest yet and revegging her? Please, help!
    Current Grows:

GSC and SWEET TOOTH (flowering)

Platinum LED P600 x 2 (380 w draw at the wall each)
    4'x4'x7' grow tent
    General Organics Go Box
    ProMix HP
    1>3>7 gal smartpots
    Well water PH 6.38

SOUR BUBBLE, SOUR STRAWBERRY, LIFESAVER, GHOST OG x LEMON, BUBBA KUSH in veg

Surely you bought feminized seeds..Surely you did!!!

Comment

• GDTRFB95
      GDTRFB95 commented
      Editing a comment
      Bahahahaha!! Wasnt thinking to make a mother before went outdoors just set up the inn! I have 40 something seeds so i suposed could plant 2 of each and hope for 50 50on each strain? Could do clones when I top them and put into flower to see whatswhat..i mean. I wouldnt mind collecting some pollen to try to make my own sourlifesaver which I almost bought over the original lifesaver. Have wanted the original since it came out when i was just into my first grow ever! And figured this would be a possibility. To find the right phenotype though.. idk. Possibly worth it.

• GDTRFB95
      GDTRFB95 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the best answer though hahahha

Surely did not lol
    Current Grows:

4'x4'x7' grow tent
    General Organics Go Box
    ProMix HP
    1>3>7 gal smartpots
    Well water PH 6.38

Comment

Well I can tell you this from everything I've read by well known and published authors on the subject of cannabis all agree the temps you start your seeds at, will play a part in determining their gender, I've even read in a cannabis breeder's bible that the gender is possibly even determined more later on, not just at the seed stage, but also in the stresses the plant may be subjected to which could cause it to hermie, perhaps this is why they question at the exact stage(s) gender could be set. Now when you say "Mother Plant" I used to just think of a 'mother plant' which someone would take clones from, but now after that book I see the term 'mother plant' as being a completely different type of a mother plant, as they will look for a female mother for breeding. Before I read that book I would have bought feminized seeds, but now I see the other side to not wanting to have the plant I get seeds from previously stressed to produce the feminized seeds.

In the end my own reading really did help me to understand in the end the "good genetics" I am looking for could be completely different from what you are looking for, if I need a plant to resist pest outside, and you have no pests inside then what we would deem a good genetics mother will be completely different. People who grow lots of plants will look for uniform size, branching, etc.. so each plant will fill in the way they want and expect it to as not to waste light and space. Whatever plant you clone is going to be an exact copy of its mother, thus as long as you are happy with your plant... clone away and call it a good mother, unless you want to start growing a number of plants from seed and start looking for the one's which meets the criteria you want for your growing environment.

Which was another interesting point I noted as to why some plant strains hermie... If a strain is grown to grow outside, but you grow it inside it could cause it to hermie, thus why they tell you so much about seeds when you order them as if they are good inside or outside seeds, how tall to expect them to grow, you can even look up to see if a certain strain is known to have problems if grown in certain ways... all in all I found reading up on the subject of mother plants, seeds, strains and how to choose a good mother plant rather interesting when I did it myself, I hope it helped to peak your curiosity enough to go do some of your own research and reading on this subject as well.
      The only way to become the a good at anything is to read about it and learn all you can about it, and if it's something you love why not become an expert in it? The best place for anyone to start is at the beginning and make sure we didn't overlook anything, so let's go back to the basics.
      http://www.growweedeasy.com/basics

Comment

• GDTRFB95
        GDTRFB95 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah yes. That is how i feel about feminized as well. I have researched for the past 15 yrs on cannabis but its the actual experience that i am lacking in. I've had only 5 different grows over that time so havent put too much of what I've read to the test yet. Ive actually never sprouted a male plant yet either but i know that wont hold out forver. 2 grows were clones of known females also so id say ive run to maturity from seed over 30 without a male. Idk. What book would you recomend. Jorge Cervantes or Ed Rosenthals?

In light of your above comments since my post, I will tell you this that the book did bring out... in order to even find a mother, they recommended putting all the plants into the Bloom room and stressing them with an unusual lighting period, which you keep doing and then watch to see which one's hermie and finding which one's didn't, always pulling the hermie's just as soon as you spot them. They made some comment to the effect of out of 1,000 plants, maybe only 100 of them will be F/F in other words they will not hermie from the lighting be erratic, of those 100 plants they would then look for the baseline of they deemed to be the "average heights" of them, pulling all the others which was taller or smaller, of those remaining they would sort it down to the things they then wanted to look for in their plants. As they brought out if you are an indoor grower you worry more of humidity than pests issues, thus a plant could be great against pests but if it has an issue with getting mold problems easily then you'd just toss it out never knowing it because those genetics aren't what you are looking and testing for in the hunt for the perfect mother for you. They did make mention how the process of looking for a male donor is a bit different and how it is so important to realize the male donor can be different on each flower site and thus each of the buds produced there as well as the seeds would then actually be from a different crossbreeding even of the same strain, thus make sure you keep track of what male donor pollinated that bud site if you hope to recreate that exact strain cross. The book is to help people grow and even stabilize their own strains, including back crossing the genetics to make it a lot harder for anyone to steal your creation of a strain if you choose to bring it to market or just share it with friends. All in all I learned a lot of things I never knew, and it was a very interesting read.
      The only way to become the a good at anything is to read about it and learn all you can about it, and if it's something you love why not become an expert in it? The best place for anyone to start is at the beginning and make sure we didn't overlook anything, so let's go back to the basics.

Comment

• GDTRFB95
        GDTRFB95 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow sounds like an awesome read! Can you share where its from? Id like the most in depth have to look up terminology science book there is

Ed Rosenthal...all the way!!

Comment

The Cannabis Breeder's Bible: The Definitive Guide To Marijuana by Greg Green, and I agree 100% with Green on Ed Rosenthal as the best basis to understanding EVERYTHING, he really does have a Ph.D and is one of the biggest figure heads out there to pave the legalization of cannabis, he's had a column in High Times Magazine "Ask Ed", he has written books on cannabis growing for years and even other scientific papers not on cannabis which have gained world renowned attention and recognition. I will tell you this about the book by Greg Green, it is very well written like Ed's work, but with one major exception you are following him one minute and you turn the page and go WHAT???? and then you are lost for a whole very important section you will spend a lot of time trying digest and figure some of it out, or at least I had that issue in reading it. It took me a lot more reading to be able to come back and actually understand what I wasn't getting when I read it the first time, with Ed you can be completely new to growing without a single clue and he will hold your hand and walk you through everything you need to know to be a professional grower and never run into the first issue he didn't explain along the way.

I should note the book by Greg Green is the 2nd part of some other book he wrote according to the beginning of the book, I DO NOT HAVE HIS OTHER BOOK, perhaps that would have made a difference in me getting more out of this book, but I just barely got any information on how things work and then I got dumped straight into charts showing how it all works... and I was LOST without a clue as it felt like going from high school to the middle of college classes with only a couple of paragraphs to prepare you for it.
        Last edited by PigSquishy; 03-18-2017, 10:57 PM.

Comment

To try to put him into a real life perspective I did a little digging to try to show you what people think of him.

Ed Rosenthal:
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Rosenthal

Want to connect to him on Facebook:
          Ed Rosenthal. 283,274 likes · 168 talking about this. Ed Rosenthal is a leading cannabis horticulture authority, author, educator and social activist

Here is his books on Amazon:
          https://www.amazon.com/Ed-Rosenthal/e/B001HOMODY

Ed Rosenthal Instructor: Horticulture 102 at Oaksterdam University:

Instructor: Horticulture 102

Mr. Rosenthal is the pothead’s answer to Ann Landers, Judge Judy, Martha Stewart and the Burpee Garden Wizard all in one.” –NY Times January 2003.

Ed Rosenthal is recognized worldwide as an authority on marijuana. He has studied and written about the plant for more than 35 years. His books cover gardening, law and social policy, and have cumulatively sold over two million copies. Rosenthal is a member of the International Cannabinoid Research Society and the Garden Writers Association of America, and has served as an expert witness on marijuana cultivation in federal and state trials. Rosenthal has also been active in promoting and developing policies of civil regulation for medical marijuana. With the passage of California’s pioneering Prop 215 in 1996, which authorizes medicinal use of marijuana, he was deputized by the city of Oakland, CA to provide pharmaceutical grade cannabis to patients. His best-selling titles include; Medical Marijuana Handbook, Marijuana Garden Saver, Best of Ask Ed, and Marijuana Grower’s Handbook, among others.

Comment

Thank you both for the input! I have a barnes and noble giftcard somewhere will defintely pick up eds book. What do you guys think from this picture.. Should I switch them to flower? I have 20 inches left that I can raise my lights. They are 8 weeks old today from the time the seeds popped and i put them in soil. There about 10 to 12inches tall from the soil but I have done considerable training. Also what do you guys think about revegging these plants as my outdoors while I sort through my seedpacks inside during the summer to find my 3 mothers? Ive always been timid to reveg idk just doesnt feel right to me for some reason
            Current Grows:

4'x4'x7' grow tent
            General Organics Go Box
            ProMix HP
            1>3>7 gal smartpots
            Well water PH 6.38

Comment

Why reveg...just take clones then flip to 12/12...keep the clones from the original plants that you like...use them as mommas....
              maybe I'm confused...

Comment

• GDTRFB95
                GDTRFB95 commented
                Editing a comment
                That's true! Haha was thinking the well established roots might make it worth it. Most of my plants have female preflowers on them but not all of them do.. yet. No definite males but the blue dream has a different energy than I've experienced before so kinda worried such a beautiful strong plant

• Green75
                Green75 commented
                Editing a comment
                They look ready for the flip...

• GDTRFB95
                GDTRFB95 commented
                Editing a comment
                That's what I keep thinking only went to 18/6 a few days ago. 7 weeks at 24on. Worried I cleared off too much undergrowth. No room for more tops which is what they all wanted to do everytime i pulled colas down and out and tied em down. The stretch should give more bud site. Its just want to get as close to the best grams per watt that i can. I have 740w of led from wall and the numbers ive seen the lights i have average in diff youtube vids is about 1.5 per watt. Alot more than the legal limit for 2 people but i can gift out so was going to give the rest away to family. Im not expecting the 1.5 but if I can get even half that i have met my legal limit for the 2 people in my house.. idk that they'll get big enough to take 20 oz off though which at the .75 grams per wat. Thatd be almost a half ounce per main cola. I guess thats possible but i dont think likely on my first grow back. Most I've ever pulled off 1 plant was a a little over 2 oz indoors. Way less veg time though and when i manifolded before i never trained the branches down always let them bush out until they found there own spot.

One of my sweettooths has been battling hard against this issue I have tried hard to fix it. Flushed 2x with phd water and got alittle better each time. She is growing better but still putting these leaves off. New growth is banned like this and all past growth has lighter yet remaining bans on the leaves like this. The new growth looks really light colored but I i believe the leds are exemplifying it a bit. My two thoughts are magnesium and possibly slight iron deficiencies since its not just developing from the base of the plant? Im growing soiless and water a bunch with no nutes but have been trying to keep giving calmag no matter what since this happened(very early on) and has improved drastically but not fully. Been trying to fix her up before the switch to no avail. Could it be something completely different than what im treating? The diagnosis page has been the hardest part of this as it appears the same issue can show slightly differnet across strains
              Current Grows:

4'x4'x7' grow tent
              General Organics Go Box
              ProMix HP
              1>3>7 gal smartpots
              Well water PH 6.38

Comment

• GDTRFB95
                GDTRFB95 commented
                Editing a comment
                Not sure if because using faucet upstairs now but water ph is 6.35

• Green75
                Green75 commented
                Editing a comment
                Get into the habit of phing every time...6

• GDTRFB95
                GDTRFB95 commented
                Editing a comment
                It will be easier for me next watering I'll having now 2 5 gallon jugs... been using a single 1gal since the beggining and mixing nutes like 8 times everytime I water lol

Thank you so much for helping me. Unfortunately (like an ass) I stopped taking notes in my journal because I kept getting done in there so late every night and I cant find the paper i did write ph stats on. My well water is 7 on the dot and with nutes it goes down a bit from what i remember. I had bought pH Adjusters but haven't used them yet because I remember the numbers coming out right when I did do the math.(for soiless) I am going to give them one last veg feeding tonight and switch the light schedule too unless I should try to get this girl back into perfect health first? I will record this time and post the phs here in a few hrs.
              Current Grows:

4'x4'x7' grow tent
              General Organics Go Box
              ProMix HP
              1>3>7 gal smartpots
              Well water PH 6.38

Comment

Soilless...ph at 6...always and forever

Comment

• GDTRFB95
                  GDTRFB95 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I believe it went in around 6.2 and out around 5.8 I can't fully remember though . I tested the first few then only if issues came up. I know should have kept doing this 1 plant at least just it takes awhile when i water and was always done so late at night. Trying to find new job right now with better hrs and obligations. Almost got suspended because I refused to go to a job in cali lol. Nothing coming between myself and my wellbeing.. aka my girls hahaha. Working 60 a week then this then famiky.. no time haahahaha

• PigSquishy
                  PigSquishy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah a Hydro system according to my nutes says to set the starting point at 6.00 and let it bounce between 5.5 - 6.5 without any adjustment, I barely see it hit 5.8 - 6.2 even if I just let it go until I see the PPM's start to bounce and I know the nute solution is no longer any good at all. The bigger the res the slower the drift will be, if the res is to small it can cause the drift to be great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170316-201224.png
Views:	321
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	69686

Nuff said on that....

Comment

To comment on the Re-Vegging of some plants, I honestly am not sure what to say about it... Yes it can be done, it is a huge pain to clip off the majority of the buds while leaving the plant completely intact, hence how you save so much time in re-vegging because you keep the plant's structure and roots, the few ends you do cut off well they will just bush out more for it so no loss there. Because of all the cutting off the buds, having to then flush the plant and put it back to veg mode can be quite stressful, especially if you weren't keeping your scissors clean to prevent infections and other issues to help try to kill off your plant. But if you think the plant is doing okay, it may not be and I've seen them die off at the roots before the leaves and such, which in turn can attract pests and diseases, molds, and overall problems if you aren't paying close attention. Say you do get through the remaining bud you had to leave behind will dry up and you can collect it later, the books say you have to leave some behind, and so it always has been this way. When the plant produces again it does seem like it was a greater yield from it, and since the plant structure was already there, it did allow for a much faster turnaround on yields... but it was much more of a pain to do, then there was extra risks involved and the quality was exactly the same, which begs the question "Was it really worth it?". Of three plants I tried this on, one died right away after killed from the roots by something, I assumed stress weakened the root structure and it got a water borne sickness. The next one died when it was put into Bloom again, it never really recovered from the revegging and just stayed pretty much the same and when put back into Bloom 2-days later it just dried up completely dead. The third one went all the way to the end, but really died off at the end of harvest, so clearly there is a lot more to revegging a plant than what people think there is and perhaps that is why more people don't try to do it.

Comment

• Green75
                    Green75 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Go auto...it's the future!!!!!!

• GDTRFB95
                    GDTRFB95 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I feel i have to try it because it exists! LOL

• PigSquishy
                    PigSquishy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What happens if you try to cut down the main branches is that it will take a VERY LONG time for the plant to regrow the new branches and what happens then is that it won't grow nearly as many branches either, in Re-vegging the plant never bushed out at all, it was a very bushy plant the first time, the reveg the plant got skinny, not nearly as many leaves, but just as much bud surprising.

I've heard to go back and look more into the New Auto-Flowering coming out now, because auto's used to be 2nd rate and lesser quality, but I've heard now they are the future from other people as well as here. Could someone please enlighten me on this subject?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X