Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HPS and LED side by side.

Hi Everyone!
    just wanted to share with the community a little experiment I'm conducting with this grow. I have a combination of 2 x 600 w HPS, and 2 LED, combined actual draw is 600w, and some T5 On the side. All lights were cheapest priced items from Amazon. You can only see 1 LED in picture but there's a slightly larger light not in picture.
    the second picture is an Amnesia photo period, six weeks into flower, that gets half its light from the HPS and the other side mainly gets it light from the LEDs. As of today, buds on the HPS appear slightly thicker, but pistils are still all white, the LED side has the red hairs already developing, but buds are slightly smaller and it seems the leaves are thicker, not in size, but quantity.

please ask any questions or feel free to add comments. Cheers.

What about those t5 on the side do you think they are helping and what kind of t5 bulbs

Comment

• Chowder
      Chowder commented
      Editing a comment
      I really like the side lighting from the t5s. They are 5000k bulbs, and the brand is agrobrtie, bought on Amazon. Check out my post first grow, first forum, for more pics.

The problem with comparing LED lights to a HPS lights using wattage draw as the measurement is that LED lights have huge difference in quality from one manufacture to another.

Better built LED light will use more efficient LEDs and drivers so more of the power is used for producing light and less power wasted in the form of heat.
    Also there are differences in the number of light bands that different LED lights produce, anywhere from a 3 to 12 band spectrum. Some brands even have UV and IR.

So comparing any LED light whether low end or top of the line to a HPS light will only tell you how that LED light compares, not how all LED lights using 600 watts compare.

Comment

I think this is a nice experiment the more people to do this the more info we have on different led lights and hps. But like u said not all led lights are the same as that is correct the other fact is that not all hps lights are the same as well. But like I said above this is a great experiment to help more people figure out the brands that are compairable.

Comment

Ur doin a great job man I can't wait to see the finaly harvest differences. When u harvest can u please post yeilds quality and brands/true wattage of the lights please a lot of us would love to know. I hope ya have a happy grow

Comment

Thanks for the input so far. I will continue to post as much info as I can as things progress. I'll get wattages, yield, colours, etc. Also, as mentioned, I know this isn't a perfect comparison for numerous reasons, but, both HPS, and LED are of lower quality, or at least lower price. I will also put as many specs about the lights themselves here also.
          but I will say that I remember the LED company advertising IR/ UV lights.

Comment

• Led Chips: 200pcs 6w EPILEDS Leds,high power,high working eficency,Energy saving, environmental friendly and high brightness
            • Color Ratio:Full Spectrum Red:630nm-660nm; Blue:430nm-470nm; Orange: 590nm-610nm; White:6500K 3500K; IR:730nm;UV:380nm;Most approriate light proportion for the growth of commercial plants.
            • Actual Power Consumption: just about 340W-380W power, saving the energy
            • Widely used in greenhouses, plant factory, greenhouse farming, flower farming, indoor gardens, water soluble breeding, pipeline cultivation, farm, potted plants, spray the plant, tissue culture and so on.
            • Coverage Area: about 4 x 4.5 Square Feet
            • brand name is Morsen and price was $270 Canadian
            This is the larger of the two lights, not in pic

second LED, can't find exact model on amazon, but it's the same Morsen brand, but it's only double 5w instead of double 6w, so it advertises a 1000 w replacement, but we all know that's not accurate. Actual draw was 300w. Colour ratio is the same as above. Price was $190 Canadian.

the two HPS are Apollo horticulture dimmable 600 HPS/MH with air tube cooled hood. Bulbs are Apollo horticulture also. Specs are online. Price was $280 Canadian. Each

Anyone use these brands? Positive or negative experience?

Comment

That's a very good comparision becauase a lot of people use Apollo hps or atleast I know a lot of people who do. Lol and for the price of the unit it's a very good exsperiment thank you for doin this chowder. I'm very excited to see how this turns out

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X