Growing Medium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growing Medium

New to the growing haven’t started yet. I have my environment. Done a lot of research.
    First grow is going to be Autoflower (WWAF).
    • Grow tent 5x5
    • Advanced Platinum Series P150 150w Full Spectrum LED grow Light.
    • 7 gal fabric grow bags

The one thing I cannot make up my mind on is the Medium to grow in.
    Just not sure what to use. Any Suggestions would be great. Would hope to find everything locally instead of ordering on line.
    Thank you in advance. Happy to be a part of the GWE Growing Community.
    Last edited by Pctiger60; 03-12-2017, 02:52 PM.

Hydro all the way

Comment

• Tika
      Tika commented
      Editing a comment
      Personally Coco/perlite and I'd do 5 gal smart pots....

• Tika
      Tika commented
      Editing a comment
      Ps I have 4 Platinum leds p600

• GDTRFB95
      GDTRFB95 commented
      Editing a comment
      For the space you have Pctiger60 optimum light setup would be 2 p600s. Thats what Im running in a 4.5 x 4.5 space and the light fills the room beautifully. The 150 will be a great light if your only going to veg 2 or 3 not super wide plants but to fill that space definitely look into upgrading when you can. The p150 only pulls about 90 watts off the wall i think. So max grams of bud you can get with that setup will be over 100 but not by much. And thats if everything else is right. Hope that can help some. As far as medium. The easiest thing is probably going to be to go to local greenhouse and get stuff to make your own super soil. Its easier than dealing with nutrients and ph and everything and you can still give it some additional organic nutrients and teas to boost when the soil is losing it pep. I will say though i do like the soiless promix hp so far but am thinking of trying coco or going back to soil next time. Always wanted to do hydro too so who knows. Whichever way you go just research it fully before you start. Tika can i ask how far away you keep your lights at different stages of growth? Have you been running them for a bit and know or found the sweet spots? The manufacturer recomends 18inch flr late veg into bloom. It makes me nervous putting closer than 24 inches but I've been keeping it at about 27. Thinking maybe the plants might need to adjust to it but it still makes me nervous.

Hi Pctiger60. I just started my first grow and using 5 gallon smart pots. I'm using Coco/Perlite and just following one of the tutorials here on GWE.
    I've never grown anything before and so far it seems to be going well. I germinated the seed 2 weeks ago yesterday and below is a picture of 2 week old Northern Lights feminized photoperiod. I just fed them yesterday with the Vegetative Nutrients per the schedule.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

For a beginner coco is the safest path to a great first harvest. My 2c
      completed 7 grows
      what I have learned so far:
      environment maters more than nutrients
      at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
      effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

• StoneyTony
        StoneyTony commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree.

I am a first time grower as well. I'm using roots organic 707. Not sure what to think of it. I just hit the 3 week mark today. Growing 1 Lemon OG Kush. My setup is a quictent 16x16x48, Viparspectra 300W LED, vivosun 200 CFM fan and a amagabelli scrubber

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        It got a little dry last night. All set today. Plus I'm in the process of fixing my lack of nitrogen

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not even sure if this is a female plant yet. I got it from a buddy while I was waiting for my seeds to come in.

• StoneyTony
        StoneyTony commented
        Editing a comment
        I little practice before the big game

I'm on my first grow and using fox farms ocean. It is a bit more idiot proof as you don't need to supply nutrients for the first few weeks of grow. It drains well and there is no mixing *just use straight out of the bag). I've seen it for sale at most hydroponic stores, some nurseries and the local co-op.

Comment

The roots organic is all pretty mixed for up to 4 weeks. I'm having a nitrogen issue so I am using for farm trio of big bloom, grow big and Tiger bloom. Just started using them today. I was also using raw milk instead of water.

Comment

Ok I have made my choice. Going with super soil mix on a smaller scale with coco as my base. Hope it works out.
          thanks for all the suggestion. I am also thinking of trying LST.
          Last edited by Pctiger60; 03-13-2017, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X