The flowering stretch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The flowering stretch

Ok so i was wondering. The flowering stretch could double to triple plant height. Does that factor in height that has been trained sideways to move the growth tips away from each other? If so my plants are at least 5 inches taller than the numbers I'm using when figuring out my max height to accommodate sufficient space between the plants and lights. I want extra space because what if i need it!! Right!?!? Another factor for this might simply be.. how deep do leds really penetrate? (P600's) and at what point would it be wasting time in veg. I figured i wanted my plants to finish with about 2 feet to 2.5 of total height. With at least 2 of it being bud producing. They are between 10.5 and 13 inches right now
    Current Grows:

GSC and SWEET TOOTH (flowering)

Platinum LED P600 x 2 (380 w draw at the wall each)
    4'x4'x7' grow tent
    General Organics Go Box
    ProMix HP
    1>3>7 gal smartpots
    Well water PH 6.38

SOUR BUBBLE, SOUR STRAWBERRY, LIFESAVER, GHOST OG x LEMON, BUBBA KUSH in veg

Do you mean 10.5 to 13 inches including the 5 inches of lateral growth? Either way it sounds like it is time for 12/12 given your plants are already about a foot and can stretch more than twice easily. Led can penetrate pretty well (but probably not as well for flowering stage as HPS.) A lot depends on how you manage your canopy and defoliating. Are you planning any more LST/Supercropping/FIMing-Topping to control height before flowering? Are you hydroponic or soil. If soil how big are your pots?(that will have a lot to do with yields).

Comment

• GDTRFB95
      GDTRFB95 commented
      Editing a comment
      Im using pro mix hp soiless. They're in 3gal smartpots now but have 7gal to transplant into probably tomorrow. Id say without training theyd be about 15 to 18 inches. Over 2 feet if never toopedfor sure. I used a couple diff manifolding techniques. 8 tops a piece one i acidentaly broke a branch when training last week so it has 9 now. My 2 clones are well behind but not to far heightwise one has 4 tops the other im letting go au natural. Theyre more for practice and to fill out any empty spaces.

So I think I will water tonight and transplant on monday. Give them till friday then switch to 12/12. I'm thinking I will continue to do minimal training but not a scrog set-up. Ive had the lights on 24 so far so I guess there might be additional stretching? Just read that somewhere

• GDTRFB95
      GDTRFB95 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your help. Makes it easier to rationalize things when you have another perspective. Much aporeciated! Probably just be lst once I hit bloom

Given their height without training and the fact that you have already done about as much as you can to keep the height down/canopy even I definitely agree it is time to switch to flower. You may want to see if there is any stress reaction to the transplant prior to initiating the 12on/12off before flipping the switch. I wish you the best of luck. I did not transplant my current grow into the 7 gal fabric pots, and I am wishing I had. I have 4 seedlings started for my next grow and four 7 gal fabric pots already waiting.

Comment

• GDTRFB95
      GDTRFB95 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Im definetly going to need some luck now just got home to the power being out. Looked at supplier webpage and its been out for 6 hrs. They say at 8 (in 15 mins)itll be back on but neighbor told me they said 630 and just extended it... but Ive read a comment on here about commercial growers sit them in the dark for 2 to 3 days when they switch so I guess it would be alright. Kinda more worried about the temp in there though as its about 5 degrees outside right now. Isnt super cold in the house though... yet

Sorry to hear. Hope the lights are back on soon.

Comment

Just pushed to 10:30. The cold is scaring me now. And to think I looked at generators but figured i could do that when i can. What happened to the boy scout
      Current Grows:

4'x4'x7' grow tent
      General Organics Go Box
      ProMix HP
      1>3>7 gal smartpots
      Well water PH 6.38

Comment

A boy scout would have be prepared. Lol. Its a bad thing when power goes out. Thought mine was going to go out a windy as it was

Comment

if lights are supposed to be in you could use a trusty old coleman lantern. Gives heat and light. When the power went of a couple weeks ago that is what i used for 2 hours

Comment

• GDTRFB95
            GDTRFB95 commented
            Editing a comment
            I will sure;y have to come up with a disaster plan because this cannot happen once I make the switch outta veg! Glad I was already running 24. pretty close outage to the hrs I was going to run too so maybe it wont be soo bad.

I have 3 plants in a 40x40 x84 tent . Im don't need to be concerned about height but I want a full canopy. Using 1200 watt LED and it penetrates very well. Please check the pics below . I am hitting 6 weeks of flower and trained early then scrogged . So far my plants have doubled since I flipped them to 12 / 12 .They are about 2 feet now .What I am anxious about is to see the size of the buds . Huge cola's are not common with current lower end LED's but so many bud sights may make up for that. Also wanting to see how dense and tight the buds get as many LED naysayer's claim soft and popcorn like. Mine are so sticky already so could be boutique type herb who knows ? Ill keep ya posted . Got another 25 vegging all clones from the 3 original girls . I have HPS lights and will test side by side next grow . This is my first grow .
          2-4X4 tents, 1200 WATT LED'S in Promix Organic with worm castings , vermiculite, and bone meal with Island Nutes and 7 gal grow pots

Comment

• GDTRFB95
            GDTRFB95 commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like your doing GREAT for your first time?!?! Im going to look up and post the side by side youtube of the lights I have next to same draw at wall HID lighting. It is what convinced me to try the LEDs. Always used HPS in the past. Stayed tuned.. I think you made a great choice with LED!

Power just came back on. Only got down to 50 degrees in there and was off for 8.5 hrs and ive been running 24 on. Should i leave at 16 on and 8off for the next week before i move to 12/12? Would that be the least stressful transition? First time Ive ever gone 24
          Current Grows:

4'x4'x7' grow tent
          General Organics Go Box
          ProMix HP
          1>3>7 gal smartpots
          Well water PH 6.38

Comment

• Jibblerjoe
            Jibblerjoe commented
            Editing a comment
            If they autos, just turn light on

• GDTRFB95
            GDTRFB95 commented
            Editing a comment
            They are photo period

You could give them at least a few hours of dark while waiting for flowering. Theory is that it promotes root growth compared to leaf growth but never seen any proof. I doubt it would be a big stress to go back to the usual 24 hr lights on though.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X