ph up question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ph up question

when adding ph up does it usually take quite a bit more to bring the ph up? Seems like with ph down it drops with little effort.

Good question...I don't know but...a caution- if you have already pHd down and need to go up you have to start from scratch can't do both at one time. Don't suspect that is the case but saying it anyway hope someone pipes in OR you could test it: 2 individual gallons of water...add same ml amount of up and down to each & see what happens.
    best regards
    Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
    Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
    GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
    photoperiod feminized seeds
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

Yes it takes a lot of one and not much of thr other I don't know y !lol

Comment

Forgot where I read it (probably on GWE) but it did say it will take a lot more pH UP to raise a gallon than it does to use pH down to lower a gallon.
        HTH

Comment

• cyberaktif
          cyberaktif commented
          Editing a comment
          i think i remember that . i will have to revisit that section or it might be a video.

I use a little baking soda to raise ph!

Comment

• Jason
          Jason commented
          Editing a comment
          Checked with my hydro guru and he said I should not do this in my Water Farm.

Originally posted by drewman1229 View Post
        I use a little baking soda to raise ph!
        I was wondering if that would work. Is it OK for a Water Farm? I have two sinks I get water from. One consistently tests about 4, the other tests about 7. Same city water system. I use the 7 and adjust down with .5 to 1 ml of GH DOWN solution per gallon.
        Last edited by Jason; 03-10-2017, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• cyberaktif
          cyberaktif commented
          Editing a comment
          have wondered about the baking soda thing as well.

I just had to raise the PH, I mixed in about 1/2 recommended dose of Tiger Bloom into a gallon of water and the PH dropped from a 6.5 down to a 4.0 and yes it took a lot of GH up compared to the down. Go slow, but yes it seemed a lot more needed.

Comment

• cyberaktif
          cyberaktif commented
          Editing a comment
          ok just thought something wasnt right but thats normal

I'm using RO water and after I put whatever in the water I test ph. It takes so much longer to water the ladies now that I'm monitoring the ph. Put too much of one in then have to go the other way. Shooting for a range of 6.2 to 6.5 as that seems to be the middle of the road for intake of minerals and such. Seems like I have to use A LOT of up to bring it up. Almost two full dropper things full. The one that comes with the GH ph up down kit. Seems like too much is needed or my meter is off.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberaktif View Post
          I'm using RO water and after I put whatever in the water I test ph. It takes so much longer to water the ladies now that I'm monitoring the ph. Put too much of one in then have to go the other way. Shooting for a range of 6.2 to 6.5 as that seems to be the middle of the road for intake of minerals and such. Seems like I have to use A LOT of up to bring it up. Almost two full dropper things full. The one that comes with the GH ph up down kit. Seems like too much is needed or my meter is off.
          If you look at the GH chart showing pH and nute absorbtion, it is important to let it "range" from 5.5 to 6.5. Not all nutrients are absorbed between 6.2 and 6.5.

Comment

• cyberaktif
            cyberaktif commented
            Editing a comment
            this is nice to know. thanks man.

There are many specifics involved that i don't know of but I do know the main two reasons. One is the ph range is super wide and the two substances (ph up $ down) may be at diferent "distances" from your water ph. So one could be several points more than the other from the "middle" making it more "powerful"
          the second reason is the ppms in your solution. Pure OR water is very volatile and just a cupple of drops of anything >60-80 ppm makes it way harder to change the ppm. So it takes a whole lot to raise the ph after adding all those acidic salts in the water. One thing I do is to add calmag first. This is not as acidic as the rest of he nutrients. So the ph will stay kinda in range. Good luck

Comment

• cyberaktif
            cyberaktif commented
            Editing a comment
            ok. i know that the manf says to do the boost first but could try the cal/mag first. also found out that the medium i'm using is a soil-less and ph should be lower than soil. oops.

• cyberaktif
            cyberaktif commented
            Editing a comment
            writing that info down for sure.

man this is a great site

Comment

So bleepin true!!!!
            "i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

If anyone is Interested I will write a separate post on ph up and down and explain the differences.

Comment

" One thing I do is to add calmag first. "

Yes. The GH instructiions say add CaMg+ or CaMagic first, then Micro, Grow and Bloom in that order. I give a shake to the gallon between. Then pH balance. The nutes seem to take pH down here.
                As I over oxigenate with a large air stone, that's OK, as the 02 moves the pH up over the day. I often have to adjust nutrients down during the day by .5 to 1.5 ml of DOWN solution added directly into the
                reservoir.
                Week 9 and the girls look good.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberaktif View Post
                  i think i remember that . i will have to revisit that section or it might be a video.
                  It is on this site: http://www.growweedeasy.com/ph

For PH Down - 1 mL/gallon of water will generally reduce your pH about 1 point. That's just a very rough estimate, but gives you a starting point. In imperial measurements, that's 0.2 tsp/gallon (1 tsp/5 gallons) will reduce the pH by 1 point.

For PH UP - PH Up is not potent stuff! It actually has a very weak effect. Compared to PH Down you will need to add much more PH Up to adjust the pH by the same amount.

Comment

• cyberaktif
                    cyberaktif commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thats the one. Thanks.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X