Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would this soil be an appropriate medium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would this soil be an appropriate medium?

I have a large mound of soil by my house. When the weather warms it explodes with growth seemingly overnight and forms a thick canopy of random growth. This pile was here when I bought the place five years ago and I have reason to believe it has been there since the house was built eighteen years ago. I'm wondering if I sift through it and get it to be mostly soil only, will it be like organic soil that people are making themselves or purchasing? Would there be problems from whatever stuff was previously growing in it? My next grow should begin in late May, so this soil would be ready to go.

You don't know what is in the soil, but you do know that it grows a lot of stuff when the weather is right. No, I wouldn't use it for an indoor grow.
    completed 7 grows
    what I have learned so far:
    environment maters more than nutrients
    at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
    effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

plop a plant right on the top of that mound and watch the lady play king of the mountain.

Comment

why don't you try it first with a bagseed or one-off clone, if you have either. failing that, you could do the same thing with say basil or a hardy flowering plant that you can get cheap or from seed...then you would know at least if it was suitable for growing anything other than whatever already grows there.

if it's really been there as long as you think it has i would bet that whatever grows there now, grows there now because of self-selection.
        "i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

I would love to but that is at the woodline in my front yard and also about the only place my neighbor can see. Maybe I could hide it behind the mound. I don't think it would get enough light though.

Comment

• cyberaktif
            cyberaktif commented
            Editing a comment
            it will. that mound can't be but 3 feet high right?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X