Seedling problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seedling problem

Hi Gwe , this is my first time growing. My problem is my seedlings fell over (died) by day 4. I was only growing 2 plants top left, bottom right. I soaked the rapid rooters with water, then into my starter kit with heating pad set to 80 degrees f. 4x4 grow tent with vents on the sides of the bottom. My indoor heater is set to 75. My led is 600w about 24-30 inches away and I have canfan with carbon filter. By day 4 when I was going to water, both seedlings were on there side. I'm not sure if I waited to long before watering, rapid rooters had some moisture to it or if the hole where the seedling was, light got to the roots before I pinched off some rapid rooters to try close that area. Should I keep rapid rooters wet at all times until I place in my black magic soil? I'm In need of help. I have read alot of material. I welcome all suggestions. Thank you D.
    Completed 7/1/17 , CURED for 5+ weeks before 1st toke

Pineapple Express by G13

Blue Diesel by Jordan of the Islands

Light too strong for the youngins to start maybe. Perhaps a stretch . Using nutes ?
    2-4X4 tents, 1200 WATT LED'S in Promix Organic with worm castings , vermiculite, and bone meal with Island Nutes and 7 gal grow pots

Comment

No nutes yet , just bottled water. Planning on keeping them in the dome starter kit until they got a little bigger. Temp seemed to be around 80 degrees. Next time Should I just keep them under the heat mat and lights out for a few more days to get stronger before introducing to light?

Pineapple Express by G13

Comment

I would say that they dried out. Seedlings need to remain moist. Just being in the rapid rooter they were probably ready for water by the 2nd day maybe sooner.

Comment

need to keep rapid rooters moist but not too wet always. May have just bolted and burned if too much heat, light and too little moisture. Barley had a chance eh ?
          2-4X4 tents, 1200 WATT LED'S in Promix Organic with worm castings , vermiculite, and bone meal with Island Nutes and 7 gal grow pots

Comment

Once I see the cotyledon , should I then place that rapid rooter into my moist soil mixture under starter kit dome to keep up the humidity For 10-14 days then uncover and grow as expected?

Pineapple Express by G13

Comment

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              duhgz69, welcome to the forum!!! I am in the process of germinating seeds for my third grow right now, so I am still a newbie, but I have some info that I hope helps. I lost quite a few seeds on my first germination: didn't know how to balance heat, moisture, pH, etc. etc.

So here's what I did this time, and I am seeing all 5 seedlings emerge:
              1. February 28: Moistened the Root Riots I use (pretty much the same as RRs) with pH-balanced water.
              2. Put seeds inside, in a germination tray with the dome on and the vents opened, on a germination pad. Same temp as you. I didn't soak the seeds overnight; just put em in natural.
              3. Stayed close to home for the past 6 days, checking the moisture level and heat level inside the dome 3-4 times daily. I had a container of pH-balanced water that I moistened the cubes with as necessary. Kept them moist, but not soaking.
              4. Cotyledons started to pop up on Friday--well, the first one anyway, so I moved the germination tray into my grow box and turned on the lighting 18/6. I continue to check the moisture 3-4 times a day, and the first one is ready to be put in a rockwool cube in the net pot, because the tap root has emerged out the bottom. I will continue to hand water. (Since I'm hydro, first thing i have to do is soak the rock wool cube in pH-balanced water, then I'll stick the net pot in its hole, but I'm not filling the reservoir yet. Hand watering.

This is the stage where we have to stay very close to our babies and check on them a lot. I learned quite a bit from this page:
              by Nebula Haze Table of Contents Intro: How to Germinate Cannabis Seeds Are my seeds good? 5 Common Germination Methods Method 1: Starter Cubes & Seedling Plugs (Recommended!)

Don't fret too much about losing a couple of seeds on the first go-around. We all learn a ton from our mistakes!!!!

You got a setup I put mine under a cfl for a couple of days till there a couple of inches take them off heat pad and go to big tent

Comment

Welcome, Newbie myself, but just started seeds and here is what worked for me, I'll give you my second try, my first was like yours, but they did make it.

I used Root Riots, moisted them down, placed seed inside, then placed riot rooter in plastic cup with a mix of Fox Farm Ocean, plus added 1/3 perlite. Placed cup in tent, I have 2 auto's in flowering stage for them at this stage I am trying to keep tent around 75 and rh at 40, I added cfl's over the top of the cups and that added a little more warmth for the seeds. Seeds popped on third day.

As far as watering -- I think it was the 2nd day after the seeds popped, that I noticed the Fox Farm soil was dry -- I did not water the Root Riot I only watered the Soil around the Root Riot. They are about 3 days old and growing a lot better than the first time. First time like you, heating pad, dome and so on. I decided not to baby them, lol. Next stop, perhaps when they are a week old or next watering time I will transplant them to their final home, 5 gallon smart pots with the Kind Soil method. I am also trying to get a very mild breeze on them. One will get topped and one natural.

Comment

Thank you all for the sound advise . I'm going adjust my grow techniques and keep you posted.

Pineapple Express by G13

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X