Trichomes color.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trichomes color.

I am curious about peoples preference with trichome ripeness and its effect. Most people appear to strive for peak THC. I myself am no different. But how many actually like the couchlock effect of amber trichomes and how many do not and why ?.

This next bit is just a bit of information and science around the cannabinoids and their biological effect on people. I have read books on several fields of biology, including anatomy and physiology for 3rd year med students. (I read a lot of books in many fields of science)

How It Affects Us:

As most of us should know, cannabinoids are the heart of the psychoactive response of cannabis. There are over 480 natural chemicals, of them only 66 have been classified as cannabinoids unique to the marijuana plant. How these interact with our biology however is interesting.
    There are two neurotransmitter receptors in the body that are impacted by cannabinoids. These are called CB1 and CB2. These receptors are naturally found in different concentrations all around the body. The body also makes its own chemical which interacts with these receptors. This is the basis of how most pharmaceutical medicines work. Drugs are chemicals that affect the body by tapping into its communication system and interfering with the way those communication channels send, receive, and process information. Some drugs, such as marijuana and heroin, can activate neurons because their chemical structure mimics that of a natural neurotransmitter.
    Now one might assume that because cannabis is a natural compound, that it must be safe compared to synthetic pharmaceuticals. However, this is far from the case.
    As has been described, there are other natural compounds that have a biological effect on the body.
    One prime example is Narcotics. Narcotics such as heroin is chemically processed from morphine, morphine which you may know of, is a pure unprocessed chemical derived from poppy plants. Another natural chemical from the poppy plant, is codeine. These chemicals when absorbed by the body function on the same neurotransmitter receptor called U-OPIOD, but at varying concentrations and intensity. If you have any experience with or heard story's about narcotics, you understand its dangerous impact on the body.
    There are many other naturally derived chemicals which act on our body in a physiological aspect. Just because its natural, does not exclude it from the same dangerous tendency's that synthetics are known for. At the end of the day, a chemical is a chemical, whether its naturally found or synthetically made. It makes no difference. The only living natural compounds on earth are the biological organisms that inhabit this planet, but then every aspect of their structure can be broken down biochemically. Everything is made up of substances that come from the periodic table. Chemicals!.

The actual effects that the cannabinoids have reflect the areas of the brain they interact with. Interactions tend to occur in our limbic system (the part of the brain that affects memory, cognition and psychomotor performance) and mesolimbic pathway (activity in this region is associated with feelings of reward) and are also widely distributed in areas of pain perception.
    It brings to mind, a great misconception on the use of cannabis for medicinal benefits. Although i do recognize the potential benefits of cannabis, some people are just not aware of the principles why the medical industry is so against the use of such a drug. People are quick to blame when they do not have the ideal understanding in historical and modern medicine to recognize the reasons why this is so. The very complexity of the drug itself is one reason why it is so hard. Over 480 chemicals, most of which are unknown to whether they are harmful or beneficial. It doesn't matter that its been used for decades or centuries without any obvious harm. The science of medicine follows a very crude system that may or may not be perfect, but does apply the best of what we know to action, to protect the public of any obvious and preventable mistakes.
    There's also the matter of pharmaceutical companies supposedly having big influence on the progression of medical cannabis because they cannot patent something that is naturally found. Which is of course not true, its more likely the fact that they are not applying any research because of their lack of belief. But just because its natural does not mean they cannot patent or exclusively sell it. This is done with many other drugs which have natural derivatives as their main acting ingredient. Narcotics are one good example.
    Another big problem with it, is its massive symptomatic diversity. One person it relaxes them, another it causes panic. One it causes energy, another it makes them sleepy. So on so forth. The point is that it doesn't follow a rule of predictability and so it makes it harder to apply in a less than already ideal world of medicine.
    I don't want to make it appear that i am against the drug, that would make me somewhat of a hypocrite. But i do have to point out the naive when it comes to subjects they clearly don't understand. I myself was exactly the same, so i do understand. But people need to be more rational and first understand the background of medicine and cannabis before making sensational claims.

The Cannabinoids:

CBGA (CANNABIDIOLIC ACID) is the major precursor to the most well known of cannabinoids, they derive most of the major psychoactive compounds we care about. Without them, we would probably have nothing. CBGA goes through chemical processes which turn the substance into THCA and CBDA. More precursors. But eventually they end up turning into the latter.

THC (TETRAHYDROCANNABINOL)
    Probably the most heard of chemical known by addicts (joking ^.^). This substance has the largest psychoactive effect on the body. The effects of THC are believed to be moderated by the influence of the other components of the plant, most particularly other cannabinoids. More on that later.

CBN (CANNABINOL)
    Psychoactive and well recognized by the public. This chemical gives off a sedative effect that is well recognized and advertised as a sleep agent for those that struggle nodding off. It also presents a similar trait of CBD with couch "lock" effects but possibly more discomforting and not ideal.

CBD (CANNABIDIOL)
    Another very important chemical that is strain dependent and has become bred out of strains by a large amount. Medical state countries however are keeping this from disappearing entirely by cultivating high CBD strains for medical use. This chemical is actually non psychoactive. Believe it or not, this is actually true. But some interesting aspects do come from this chemical which i will cover shortly.

CBC (CANNABICHROMENES)
    This one is not psychoactive, it does however hold many beneficial effects such as antidepression, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and antibacterial. It also has a potential effect on pain management. All very beneficial aspects.

There are other psycho and non psychoactive chemicals but are less understood and have less individual impact. In cooperation however they likely have a substantial effect that alters the overall effect.

How It Feels, What We Know, What Can We Do Further:

Its been well understood that THC has the biggest impact on the nervous system, however its not the whole picture and was never as simple as we thought. A great deal are not aware that a synthetic version of THC is around. One that pharmaceutical companies were more than happy pursuing because of its more predictive characteristics. I cant remember its main intentions, but i believe it had a big role to play with cancer patients. Attempting to relieve nausea and discomfort for those on chemo. But don't quote me on that, i have not looked into it much.
    It was soon found that this synthetic version did not quite compare to its natural counterpart. Something was off. The concentration or potency did not seem to be the problem. Blood serum levels showed a more than ideal concentrations in the blood, however it was not as impacting. This was quite interesting. However it had already been suggested by people that the THC in cannabis was not the only chemical that was playing a role . For some time now its been believed that the psychoactive effects of cannabis was the result from a class of chemicals called cannabinoids and not a single chemical. One of those which is heavily focused on is CBD.

CBD is actually non psychoactive but it plays a role in the overall effect of cannabis. CBD is generally considered to have more medicinal properties than THC. It appears to relieve convulsion, inflammation (and thereby also migraines), anxiety and nausea. That is why strains with a high concentration of CBD is more suitable for medicinal use.
    Trials have actually been done with IV synthetic THC and CBD. What they found was that anxiety and discomfort (schizophrenia) was significantly reduced when THC was administered along side of CBD. Even though CBD is not psychoactive, it obviously had an effect on the characteristics of how THC interacts with the CB receptors. This interaction has been commonly referred to as the endogenous cannabinoid system. This is not limited to just CBD, in fact it is suggested that many more cannibinoids play a part in the overall effect of cannabis. This truly shows its complexity.

CBD has a greater affinity for the CB2 receptor than for the CB1 receptor, meaning that its effect is mostly in the body and not so much in the head. CBD shares a precursor with THC and is the main cannabinoid in low-THC cannabis strains like hemp.

CBN is another mildly psychoactive substance that is a degradation of THC. This happens when THC interacts with oxygen and oxidizes. Forming CBN. This is the amber color that is seen when trichomes are allowed to ripen past the point of peak THC. The CBN is suspected to be the reason for the more relaxed, sedative and couch lock type effect. Some people might assume this effect is from a higher CBD due to longer ripening. However this is not the case, as the CBD levels are determined by the strain and not the maturation of the plant. This has been pointed out by some, who believe that this effect is a fake, or a false characteristic of the true effect given from high CBD strains. People who indeed chase this effect by over aging their harvest are trading THC for fake CBD. So to speak. CBN typically has a more fuzzy, drowsy, disoriented or sleepy impact that is less desirable to the more iconic and clear version of the CBD variety. Because CBD has a greater affinity for CB2, this could explain why CBD is more desired. As was previously mentioned, CBD presents a more body type high compared to CBN. Providing the effects on a totally different area of the nervous system.
    How we can manipulate these chemicals to better suit our agenda really comes down to strain, genetics, cultivation, breeding and what we ultimately prefer.
    There's still so much we don't know but we do have a strong grasp on the very fundamentals of this magical drug.

This information was based off my own understanding, experience, study, article, posts and also from a guy called bricktop from RIU. I do recognize that their may be mistakes, unfortunately this is not suppose to be entirely for others but also myself. Consolidating information is a great way to learn more and reach new heights in understanding.
    As always.

PEACE!
    Last edited by Danofdanger; 08-08-2017, 08:04 AM.
    Being wrong, is only a opportunity for getting things right.

Written Articles:
    Trichome Color And The Cannabinoid System
    Light Metric Systems

DAN...holy crap...SO informative!!! thank you!! and as an added bonus, some of my own and my friends' different reaction(s) to the *exact* same thing--same stuff, same amount, same time, same place, etc.--are now explained...as is a whole whole bunch of other stuff. definitely gonna have to read this a few more times. thanks.
    "i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

Thank you so much, i worked on it for ages. I hope it helps others. I believe that a good understanding in what you are working with, goes a long way to cultivating more high quality products.

Written Articles:
      Light Metric Systems

Comment

true that. could not agree more. again, thanks. that clearly took a tremendous amount of time (and work).
        "i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

Just caught this thread. Damn DoD That was a good read! I've often read that when big pharma isolates chemicals (the active ingredient), and makes a pill out of it, they often battle side effects, because they have excluded the plants other compounds. This is why herbology is and has been so successful. It's that synergy of ALL the compounds that eliminates the side-effects and leaves zero overdoses. Nature knows what shes doing. Big pharma keep thinking they know better.
          Fast Buds GSC & Green Crack Auto's

Veg:
          4x4x6 - 7-gal Smart Pots - Coco/Perlite - 4 300w LED's - Flora Trio + CalMag

Bloom: 4x4x6 - 7-gal Smart Pots - Coco/Perlite - 4 300w LEDs - Flora Trio + CalMag & Superbloom

“…marijuana is one of the safest, therapeutically active substances known to man.” – Judge Francis Young (DEA)

Comment

Avoiding side effects when you are creating a physiological change in the human body is almost impossible. At least one person is going to have a problem. The body was never designed to consume substances that change our physiological state, its only by chance that this happens. But we take advantage of that. Overdose or toxicity is only more aparent with synthetic chemicals because they hold more of a physiological potency compared to natural derivertives. But there are plenty of natural components that can easily kill you if you are not careful.
            I agree that pharmacutical manipulation is highly uncomfortable in the US. Although its not as impacting for the rest of the world. Its US alone, that consumes over 80% of the worlds drugs, yet are only 2% of the worlds population. But that does not come down to a faulty medical system, it comes down to greed and money. No matter how perfect something is, money can turn the best of things to the worst.
            When it comes to the prevention of cannabis for medicinal purpose, i feel the biggest hurdle is the government. I mean there are states that have now allowed the use of cannabis for medical purposes. It seems, whenever law is passed the flood gates open.

I do need to update this thread and also create another about the medical side of the cannabis profile. But theres so much to cover, i feel the political side is far more complex than the science of the thing.

Written Articles:
            Light Metric Systems

Comment

Omitted with updated version to make it more easy to read.

Written Articles:
              Light Metric Systems

Comment

Hi Dan, new grower here. Sorry, haven't read the bit of information. Usually I take the time, but after skimming through it I think its a concentrated version of what I already read in other places. Its nice to find the information here, don't get me wrong (I'm also very stoned and very lazy tonight haha)

You first asked "I am curious about peoples preference with trichome ripeness and its effect. Most people appear to strive for peak THC. I myself am no different. But how many actually like the couchlock effect of amber trichomes and how many don't and why ?" and that's what I wanna answer.

I like couchlock! Its not even I like, its I need.
                Sativa, according to what I understood, how I feel when I smoked some low grade (I've smoked only once some high grade marijuana. Hope to smoke more when I will harvest), is more for a recreational purpose. It makes you laugh.
                Indica, is more for a medicinal purpose, due to its CBD content. This one is supposed to be couchlock.

Me, big stressed guy, suffering from insomnia and anxiety -panic attack at the worst times-, I grew to like Indica. It took me time to understand that I wasn't smoking it like others, they smoke it to have fun. I smoke it to relax. So about tricomes, I think I need 2 types of weed, one of the day, one for the night. Night one I would like to have it covered with amber, a joint of this and its sleepy time no doubt about it. (I hope, I guess it also depends on the strain ) Day time, that's the tricky one. It should relax, but let me do the work, focused even. So a good strain that has a reputation for such effect, with some amber tricomes but not all. Most clear.

Like I said I'm a new grower, haven't harvested even once. Will have a better judgement after this fall. (8 plants, 5 different strains)
                Inexperienced outdoor grower, near Switzerland. I have some theoretical knowledge and only a little bit of practice, hence take what I say with a grain of salt. Also I believe everyone has his own growing way.

Comment

• Danofdanger
                  Danofdanger commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That was really interesting and helpful, i do support your conclusions about the different effects and their associated needs. It also seems to transpond over to strain types too, some are daytime strains, some are nightime. Some are both. Or some are somewhere in the middleground. Its diversity in characteristics and what people seem to look for in the drug are amazing.

• Danofdanger
                  Danofdanger commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Also where you grow up and whats around you seems to impact peoples taste and the qualitys they chase for. Sort of like food or alcohole.

• Minoo96
                  Minoo96 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What amazes me the most, is that it seems to not only be efficient to my problem (any other solutions I tried except taking chemical medicines like xanax for instance) but cannabis also work for other problems too, pain, cancer. There's not enough research on that, I do not feel I can properly claim cannabis "cure" cancer. But I can definitely say, after years of trying out, it helped me. It still do. Others say the same about pain. That's a wonderful plant just for that much. No other plant helped me like it does (I tried essences, herbal medicines, yoga, teas, really lots of things).

Now there's the recreational effect too. I like it also, but not 24 hours a day. A few hours after dinner, or before to get the munchies. It's really different from the medical side I use it for. Like an added bonus. (Said added bonus has contributed to make cannabis look like a bad drug).

Nowaday, when we say drug, we often associate something bad with it. But then coffee and tea are drugs also. Coca cola too. So I do not like to consider marijuana a drug. A drug for me, is xanax. LSD.

So after reading online and re-reading your post, I think I will harvest my plant when its fully cloudy. I think it makes sense that CBN is an ersatz of CBD, that to know the true high of a plant you should harvest it when its cloudy. Amber will "fake" the high, changing the true effect of the strain. How can I know which strain is best if I harvest them at different times. Not sure I make myself clear...
                I found this subject of THC/CBD/CBN very confusing at first (and still do somewhat). Its not growing plants anymore but human/plant biology, to a high level!
                Inexperienced outdoor grower, near Switzerland. I have some theoretical knowledge and only a little bit of practice, hence take what I say with a grain of salt. Also I believe everyone has his own growing way.

Comment

Yes, its a real challenge trying to figure out whats best, i still find that understanding the science gives me the answer before i even get the physical results. I did wonder for a while wether CBN was more of an aquired taste or preference. But i feel it has too many negatives to be classified as such. We wouldnt consider nausea as a personal preference.

Written Articles:
                  Light Metric Systems

Comment

• Minoo96
                    Minoo96 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I still consider it a question of personal preferences, everyone should try both way and see which one they prefer. For first harvest I will try both ways, but in my head its much "cleaner" to harvest cloudy.
                    Let me/us know if you find more infos by experience or on the internet, this is actually the most important part I think... And of course the most complicated.

• Danofdanger
                    Danofdanger commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, hence the question of the thread.

Il leave you with a conflicting phenomenon. THC converts to CBN when it interacts with oxygen and oxidizes. Hence the amber. However, some strains dont amber and makes it difficult to observe peak or beyond peak levels.
                    Hmm.

• Minoo96
                    Minoo96 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes! Very true. Those strains are sativa mainly, and we know they take much longer than indica to mature. Maybe its related to that? Sativa would be of higher 'quality' because it takes longer to mature, so it has to protect itself in a more efficient way against oxydizing (correct word? I dont think so but you know what I mean). Those have low CBD though, maybe its also related to that?

Great stuff dano. It explains some experiences I've had over the past year. I had a high CBD, moderate thc strain that required a few more hits, but what a wonderful, easygoing space.
                  I then had a strain that was supposed to be high thc, but began going amber a week earlier than I expected. So I ended up harvesting a lot of yellow and brown because I wanted the buds to swell a little more.
                  Intense, focused and forgetful...then unavoidable sleep in 2 to 3 hours.
                  Amazingly different experiences. Genetics, timing. Cool.

Comment

Thanks for your input, its interesting hearing peoples experience.

Written Articles:
                    Light Metric Systems

Comment

Certain strains I'll do a complete harvest at one time once I try my grown version of them. My first harvest of a strain and the default I do is harvest an amount, usually small, early with some clear/cloudy, Usually I'll harvest the second batch around mostly clouds with some amber, and the last comes with mostly amber.

I'll try to save the tops and best buds or best plant if I harvest multiple plants, for my target trich color for that strain.

I'm not much for the early stuff but occasionally it's ok for a change and I have a friend or two that prefer it. My big harvest almost always centers around Cloudy with some amber, and I like to always have some good, time to sleep stuff around because I will get terrible bouts of insomnia at times. Heavy amber also seems to help some of my other symptoms better but at the cost of wanting to sleep.

I've always found it amazing that you can harvest for 3 different profiles off one plant, it just begs to be taken advantage of.
                      The Great and Secret Garden Indoor-Hydro-LED-Perpetual

The Ganja Ged Thread
                      Water Curing Experiment
                      My E&F System

If you get confused, listen to the music play!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X