Maximising yield & quality using temperature to crop steer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maximising yield & quality using temperature to crop steer

It's been thought for a long time now that lower temps during flower improves quality (potency in THC & terpine levels) & yield (density & mass).

It has long been thought that lower humidity, especially in late flower, improves potency. This makes sense when we see an increase in trichome density, think frosty frosty. It also makes sense to keep low RH in low temps late in flower to maintain a happy VPD.

If we take a step back and simply look at how the plants life cycle works and corresponds with nature's seasons all around the world, this is exactly what happens in nature.

Here's a video showing some results coming out of a University in Utah that supports the above thinking, in so far as using temperature to crop steer. It therefore follows that low humidity is required & obviously the lower the temps the lower the RH.

Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
    Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
    Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
    Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
    Last Grow: A mix

I am at the mercy of my environment. Save a handful of fans and opening apartment doors and windows, my weed grows cool in the cooler months and hotter in the hot months.
    My last grow never got below 70°. Average maybe around 75°. Laser temperatured 80°+ with the lights on. That Hotcakes grow gave me the densest buds and thickest trichomes I can remember.
    Conversely, I have had fluffy nugs in winter grows where I can keep temperatures in the 50°-65° range.
    All this research. There isn't enough and there isn't enough from a single or handful of what I would call reputable labs. Throw me in some government research and I'll start paying attention. For every report that says, 'Yes' I will show you one that at least says, 'Maybe not'.
    I love sciency shit and research and all that whatever. But there are too many variables when it comes to genetics. The only way to know what is best for a plant is to know its genes. Otherwise, you have to make blanket statements.
    For now, I'm going to rely on Gatorade and classical string quartet music mix to optimize my Blue Razzberry veg. I'll be switching to Coke foliar spray and death metal when it comes to flowering.
    αspamΩ

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      Still not legal, federally.

• MrMagic
      MrMagic commented
      Editing a comment
      No but legal enough across the US it gives scientists the opportunity to start studying this plant.

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to back-up about my 'reputable' comment. That was unfair. A lot of the people doing the research got their poop in a group.
      Still. I can only rely on what I know from growing where and how I do.

As we all do. I been growing now for 30 years and I have never really trust anyone's advice because there was soooo much miss information out there. I grew, I failed, tried things, grew again, and learned from my mistakes and what the plants told me. I don't think its an unfair statement I'm with you I want reputable scientific data to back it up. The problem is, any of the reputable people didn't experiment with it because it was illegal. As the US and Canada break these barriers they are now finally able and starting to research; they are 20years behind lol. Research is gonna move fast on this now. As I mentioned earlier Youtube Dr Bruce Bugbee if you haven't heard of him. At first I thought who is this wanker but then when I looked into his background I was Ok I think your pretty reliable lol.
    3'x3'x6'6" Sun Stream tent
    1000w Tolys dimmable Samsung Lm315 diodes meanwell driver
    1000w Tolys led (burple)
    Soil: sungrow's sunshine professional grow mix.
    Ferts: GroTek Monster Grow Pro, Monster Bloom and molasses
    No name towerfan 12" oscillating fan humidifier​

Comment

I did architecture for work, so I'll compare designing a home to growing weed.
      Very few homeowners care about what it took to design and build their home. Very few dope smokers care what it took to get them high. If you get the warm and fuzzies from where you are, who cares, really?
      't ain't until we drug manufacturers/architects sit back with a prepared dose/post occupation report before someone can say if we needed more cowbell.
      αspamΩ

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

There is absolutely good research being done now finally. Yea it’s behind, yes it’s limited in the amount, yes sometimes it’s paid for by the wrong people so the results could be questioned. However people like dr. Bruce, Alison Justice and others I can’t think of off hand are doing great work that we all should absorb and mix with what we know from our own experiences. It’s not that hard to do a quick search of someone’s background and make you own call.

…..to get this thread back on track crop steering With temperature is a Well know approach followed for years by old growers who just know it works, and it’s now being backed up by proper science. I’ll be doing my best to control my environment in flower this run to follow that approach further than I have in the past. Lucky for me that will be December up here in Canada so cool air should be plentiful, lol.

Shane at Migro has a nice intro to the concept. I think he’s proved he’s very credible , although not a laboratory scientist

KIS mix organic living soil from Black Sallow soils in 7gal. pots
        Black Swallow Organic Bloom mix top dress before flower.
        Reusing soil with Black Swallow nutrient pack between grows
        Maybe some compost teas
        Blumat watering system
        Microbial Mass and other microbial boosters(Wallace)
        3x4x6’ tent
        Photontek 465wpro
        6” AC Infinity outdoor air in and out, humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, oscillating fan.
        Inkbird controllers heat/humidity​

Comment

I try and replicate what nature does. These plants have evolved over millions of years to be at their utmost best in the hands of mother nature.

You can make up your own minds of course but that's some pretty good research which goes some way to confirming what I've learnt growing as long as I have outdoors.
          Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
          Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
          Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
          Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
          Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
          Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
          Last Grow: A mix

Comment

• Smallgrow
            Smallgrow commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree mother nature sets the standard, science just confirms what she already knows

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X