Planting seedlings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting seedlings

Do you only plant a seedling up to the bottom leaves when the seedling is damaged from overwatering or excess light?
    What would be the disadvantage of planting a healthy seedling up to its bottom leaves? (I suspect that the plant will be “stunted” until it sprouts roots along its stem?)

I've only ever planted a seedling up to it's 'bottom' leaves when it had a weak stem. You may have heard the term 'leggy.' Overwatering doesn't cause leggy seedlings. Overwatering results in a droopy plant not one that is stretching for light. I suppose that a light that is too far away cranked to the max power could cause a seedling to stretch toward it. I wouldn't consider that excess light though. If the light was close to the plant cranked to the max power maybe a different story. Why would you plant a healthy seedling up to it's bottom leaves?
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11" HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite
    Autopot system
    : Malawai 100% Sativa Ace Seeds x 2
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: Purple Haze/Malawi x 3/Ace Seeds Purple Haze x 1 ILGM
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      So it will grow more roots.

The next steps for your plants are feed light nutrients and supply more light. The jiffy pot you used is not ideal for marijuana, unless you're going to drop the pot directly into the ground right away. If you're growing indoor, it's much better to start a seedling in a small plastic container with holes on the bottom. I've made the mistake of trying jiffy pots too and realized I should use plastic containers. It's fine though, you can repot easily by cutting and peeling the jiffy pot away from the medium and roots. Just fill a larger container with your preferred media and use your hand to dig a hole the size of the jiffy pot in the middle and drop it in. Add a little bit more media up to about an inch (2.5cm) below the bottom leaves. After that add light nutrients and light. Good luck and happy growing!

Comment

I have covered the bottom 4 limbs with soil so the plant make can more roots.
      However I find for me growing outside its better to cut those limbs off (help prevent WPM).

Comment

Originally posted by golfnrl View Post
        I've only ever planted a seedling up to it's 'bottom' leaves when it had a weak stem. You may have heard the term 'leggy.' Overwatering doesn't cause leggy seedlings. Overwatering results in a droopy plant not one that is stretching for light. I suppose that a light that is too far away cranked to the max power could cause a seedling to stretch toward it. I wouldn't consider that excess light though. If the light was close to the plant cranked to the max power maybe a different story. Why would you plant a healthy seedling up to it's bottom leaves?
        Rwise answered the question for me; the reason for planting up to the bottom leaves is to grow more roots. However I imagine that the plant will be “stunted” until it grows those roots.

And you are correct that the kind of plant problem I would be correcting by planting up to the bottom leaves is a leggy plant, not from overwatering but from lack of light.

I was really just thinking out loud and asking for the pros and cons of planting deep. I have some problem seedlings planted deep and some “normal” seedlings to plant “normally”. That’s why I asked. I thought that I may plant one deeper just to see but I figured that someone on here already knew the answer.
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by apacin0 View Post
          The next steps for your plants are feed light nutrients and supply more light. The jiffy pot you used is not ideal for marijuana, unless you're going to drop the pot directly into the ground right away. If you're growing indoor, it's much better to start a seedling in a small plastic container with holes on the bottom. I've made the mistake of trying jiffy pots too and realized I should use plastic containers. It's fine though, you can repot easily by cutting and peeling the jiffy pot away from the medium and roots. Just fill a larger container with your preferred media and use your hand to dig a hole the size of the jiffy pot in the middle and drop it in. Add a little bit more media up to about an inch (2.5cm) below the bottom leaves. After that add light nutrients and light. Good luck and happy growing!
          I’m a little puzzled as to what does it matter if you have a peat cup or a plastic cup to start the seedlings in, unless it’s the size of the container. I chose the peat cup so that I didn’t have to disturb the roots. I could just plant the cup and all into the ground and let the cup dissolve.
          Please explain where I’m going wrong here.

Comment

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            The PH of peat is ~3.3

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            Also it will not dissolve fast

Rwise-
          so; if I cut away the peat cup, as you do with plastic, I should be ok? Actually some advantage, more root development, or is that acidity of the cup a big problem?
          I just transplanted one of my problems from a peat cup. I cut the bottom off the cup and then the root ball came out the top. [I think I could have just pushed the root ball up and out of the cup without cutting anything, but I didn’t know if the ball would stay together. It was almost too wet.]
          Is there any advantage to having more roots (a bigger root ball) that a peat cup would offer?

Comment

Yes remove the peat pot, your harvest will thank you for it. In soil veg PH range is 6.2 - 6.5 flower range is 6.5 - 6.8, outside of these it cannot uptake certain elements it needs.

Comment

Brwnthmb I already told you this in your sick plant thread, as did Rwise. Your just making a different post with questions that have already been answered. Maybe do some reading...Top of the page...Growing Basics.
              Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
              Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
              6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
              Canna Coco/perlite
              General Hydroponics Flora Series
              Cal/Mag.

outdoor
              Photo plants Blue Cheese(butterbean seeds) Green Crack(Canuk seeds)
              Purple Gelatto(Canuk seeds)

Comment

I was saying to ditch the peat pot because it stays wet and gets moldy, has high acidity, roots get stuck, and causes small amount of medium to dry quickly. Plastic containers hold the moisture better, which is way better for small pots. When you pot up larger you can use something more airy like a fabric pot because the larger volume holds the moisture longer. You'll see faster/better growth. Or you could just sow into your final, or close to, pot. Just remember to keep your seedlings light close to encourage more horizontal growth, instead of vertical.

Comment

Originally posted by homegrown View Post
                  Brwnthmb I already told you this in your sick plant thread, as did Rwise. Your just making a different post with questions that have already been answered. Maybe do some reading...Top of the page...Growing Basics.
                  actually you didn’t answer it in another thread because I didn’t ask. I have done the reading.
                  no one is trying to take advantage of you, that I know of anyway, so don’t get upset.

Comment

Originally posted by apacin0 View Post
                    I was saying to ditch the peat pot because it stays wet and gets moldy, has high acidity, roots get stuck, and causes small amount of medium to dry quickly. Plastic containers hold the moisture better, which is way better for small pots. When you pot up larger you can use something more airy like a fabric pot because the larger volume holds the moisture longer. You'll see faster/better growth. Or you could just sow into your final, or close to, pot. Just remember to keep your seedlings light close to encourage more horizontal growth, instead of vertical.
                    thank you …….

Comment

It would better to keep all in 1 thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Brwnthmb View Post

actually you didn’t answer it in another thread because I didn’t ask. I have done the reading.
                        no one is trying to take advantage of you, that I know of anyway, so don’t get upset.
                        Oh really Brwnthmb? Try again and have a look at your sick plant thread. Post #9 and #9.1 And yet your plants are still in the peat pots. dont you have another thread about yellowing leaves? Go figure.
                        Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
                        Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
                        6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
                        Canna Coco/perlite
                        General Hydroponics Flora Series
                        Cal/Mag.

outdoor
                        Photo plants Blue Cheese(butterbean seeds) Green Crack(Canuk seeds)
                        Purple Gelatto(Canuk seeds)

Comment

Originally posted by homegrown View Post

Oh really Brwnthmb? Try again and have a look at your sick plant thread. Post #9 and #9.1 And yet your plants are still in the peat pots. dont you have another thread about yellowing leaves? Go figure.
                          There’s a misunderstanding here.
                          some of the plants are still in the peat cups, but (more than) two have been transplanted up to their bottom leaves in clay pots. These (2) are shown in the picture (where you see the peat cups) on the right. I also said that I haven’t planted them all because I haven’t received my fabric pots yet. (They are due today.)
                          I’m sorry if your feelings are hurt or you think I’m taking advantage of you or this opportunity to learn. I assure you that I had no intention of doing any of those things. I’m certain that this was all a misunderstanding because I posted the same picture on two different questions and the second time the picture was not as representative of the problem as it should be.
                          Thanks for your help.
                          Last edited by Brwnthmb; 09-14-2024, 02:52 PM. Reason: The last sentence was reworded for clarity.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X