• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topping

How early can you top a plant?

3 sets of leaves.
    Space for Rent.

Comment

I usually wait til the fourth or fifth have come in, and then top. I find the plant recovers faster that way.
      I also grow in hydro, I'm not sure what medium you're using.
      Current Grow:
      - Pine Tar Kush {photoperiod}
      - ViparSpectra XS2000 LED {full spectrum, dimmable}
      - MarsHydro grow tent {4'x4'x6'}
      - DWC bucket
      - Manifold/LST​

Comment

I top at 5th.

Comment

Thank you Mr.furley that is a text book answer. 21 days and or 3 sets of leaves according to Rosenthal

Comment

• Mr.furley
            Mr.furley commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly, I usually wait till the 6th node has show on a heathly, well growing plant then top back to the third.

Lots of options in this Hobby my answer reflects the question "Earliest"

I went by this.This was published 2024, but its the link I felt gave the best description and pics.

Do you want to start topping your cannabis plants in order to get bushier plants and bigger yields? Wait no longer and check out this complete guide on how to top your cannabis plants. We cover both the science and the method behind this old growers trick.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Radeon; 06-08-2024, 08:55 AM.

Comment

5th or 6th node for me
            SF 35X47X70 tent
            SF1000 X4
            AC Infinity 6 inch exaust fan
            AC Infinity ocillating fan X2
            FFOF Soil
            FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
            GH Flora Series
            3 and 5 gallon fabric pots

Mango Sherbert
            Gelato Cake
            Grape Icecream auto by going2fast

Comment

That kind of depends on why your topping, are you trying to make a bush or are you going to main-line? Either way I like to top at the 3rd node after the 5th has popped out so I have a little nub of stem left above the node to add some strength to the joint

Comment

As one can see, the range is node 3-6. I just look at the plants development and top when I think it is sufficiently large and healthy. The beauty of being a hobbyist is that i can take my time and give each plant individual attention.
                Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
                5 gallon cloth pots
                30"x30"x60" tent
                Spider Farmer SE3000
                Coco Pearlite mix
                GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

• Allenpro
                  Allenpro commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Once your jars are full the pressure is off, lol. How are you liking the 11 roses? Its a favorite of mine

It may be late to answer but

I remove auxiliary buds/branches of 1st 2nd, and 3rd true nodes as soon as possible, and leave behind their leaves. 2nd and 3rd pairs of leaves support faster growth after plant recovers from cutting the top which is concentrated of growth hormones. In the future when these leaves are in full shade of upper foliage, and can be neglected compare the size of the plant, i remove them either for more easily watering.

Auxiliary buds of 4th and 5th node are gold of mine and I don't talk about my gold much

Because i love supper flat canopy and having all branches even, i don't leave anything that can shade 4th pair of auxiliary buds and their conjunction leaves so i don't allow leaves of 6th node and upper to grow and shade it. Then if don't need clone i cut the plant right above 5th node as soon as possible when there is a some millimetres above 5th node. But if i need a clone i take leaves of nodes above 5th node before they shade 4th. When the time is right i allow the must upper leaves to grow a bit and then i cut the plant above 5th node as a clone as it is the best of the best that can be taken as a clone.

I found this is the fastest which results the must symmetrical shape. BUT one can ignore all these and cut his/her plant wherever above 1st ture node, but not below that, as it is theoretically possible.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X