Mars Hydro burnt LEDs, worth replacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mars Hydro burnt LEDs, worth replacing?

Just was given 5 - 300 watt lights and they all have the blue diodes burnt out (assuming blue from data found online). They are from 2017 and I was wondering if they were worth saving by replacing the diodes for future indoor grows.

If the value isn't there for replacements, would they be good for indoor potted plants that come inside by a window for a bump in light while winter is here as they are? Just a couple Bonsai and jade plants.

Click image for larger version

Name:	InShot_20231124_174608476.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	609534 I hate trashing things but if it's not worth the time since they were pretty well used I'm ok with it..... but I don't want to burn the house down on lights with bad diodes. Any thoughts appreciated.

My main thought is the tech differences over the ensuing six years. You may obtain a working light but it will still be an old light. However, I'm sure if you fix it, it will be a reliable spare. I would skip it unless you have experience in soldering small parts.
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

I'll say not worth the risk of fire hazard after a repair, and they will still be old and likely still need replacement.
      Is the 300 watts from the wall or the rating?

Comment

Rated 300w on paper, not tested.... I agree that they may not be worth fixing. I just was hoping I got a useful deal. He gave me a whole setup free so it was still worth my time just for the tent but it's all in well used shape. I'll ask if he wants them back first but it looks like they are going into the scrap pile. Thanks for helping make my choice.

Comment

They could be useful to sprout with, or for other plants.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrokill View Post
            Just was given 5 - 300 watt lights and they all have the blue diodes burnt out (assuming blue from data found online). They are from 2017 and I was wondering if they were worth saving by replacing the diodes for future indoor grows.
            I have replaced a few LED's on that type of lamp and it is a bear of a job.

And if I remember correctly are wired series parallel so all it takes is one defective LED and four more will dark.

So unless you have a VOM and can measure the voltage across each of the dead LED's you are getting into a job that is going to cost more to repair than to pass on.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X