A Warning About Starting Seeds In water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Warning About Starting Seeds In water

Normally when working in the greenhouse I start seeds in a black cop half filled with water, I use a black cup as it is a lot easier to see the tap root.

Well while installing a sprinkler system I hit he water line to the green house not once, not twice, I probably hit it many times.

I have the feeling it been hit too many time to repair because other than the first time when I had a major leak I don't know how many times I hit it after that other than when when seeing white PVC in the spoils.

So we are watering with pails of water filled at the pump house until I can replace the run (450') and seed starting was moved into the kitchen in our home.

Then something strange happened, my germination rate went from almost 100% to zero, that was confusing but after a bit of thought I realized what the problem was,we have a whole house water softener installed.

The problem that causes is traditional water softeners use a salt water solution to backwash the resin, for six to 12 hours after the refresh the water in the home will contain traces of salt in it, it is so weak it cannot be tasted nor is it harmful to humans an pets, but it will kill seeds being germinated grave yard dead.

Just a heads up for any one who is having a seed starting problem and has a water softener, the solution is use bottled water or water tapped ahead of the water softener.

Hard lesson there fella but seems like you figured it out. Best of luck moving forward with your grow.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I used to install irrigation systems for outdoor nurseries by the acre. I suggest to anyone burying an irrigation system ;DRAW YOUR SELF A MAP so you have a future reference where the pipes are.
      Happy turkeyday.....

Comment

Do you think the salt softened water would have the same impact if using the paper towel method?

Comment

Bad luck Brother!

Ya know a gallon of distilled water from the store will germinate a few thousand seeds...
          My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
          I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
          Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

Originally posted by shadycon View Post
            I used to install irrigation systems for outdoor nurseries by the acre. I suggest to anyone burying an irrigation system ;DRAW YOUR SELF A MAP so you have a future reference where the pipes are.
            Happy turkeyday.....
            I did just that, the problem was I didn't take any measurements from the lot lines to where the buried plumbing was, nice diagram but useless.

Comment

Originally posted by bdeegan View Post
              Do you think the salt softened water would have the same impact if using the paper towel method?
              Yes I think it will mess up the seeds.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X