Outdoor Bud Rot Prevention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor Bud Rot Prevention?

This is our 4th year growing outside but the first time that we got some bud rot but thankfully not too many. I've read here and there that you need to keep the plants dry as possible which ours never see any rain but I'm wondering about humidity and morning dew. What do you outdoor growers do to keep them from mainly the dew, cover them every night? Also read that you need to keep the plants far enough apart from each other to let them breathe better. I'm in S. Oregon and this summer was especially hot with 95° temps for over a month, could that have had something to do with it?

Covering them helps so does air movement to keep away dew. I've used fans of a morning late in my outdoor grows to keep it off my buds. That works well.
    Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
    Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
    Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
    Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
    Last Grow: A mix

Comment

Yep fans covers and enuf defol to let air through, I try to keep every thing naked to about 18" from the ground.
      There is also a product that claims to be safe organic all that, but you would be spraying that on the buds. I used it one year.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Here are what my girls looked like about 2 weeks from harvest. I really think they were thinned out pretty good especially the Mac and Cake.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Shish.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	3.51 MB
ID:	608142 Click image for larger version

Name:	Mac-Cake.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	4.37 MB
ID:	608143
        Attached Files

Comment

I read somewhere that you could take a leaf blower and get rid of the dew, can the plants take that?

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            if you don't push the trigger perhaps the leaf blower will not harm them? i use a blower without pushing the trigger to flame up my burn piles.
            It was 30f this a.m. here damn it's cold

I can try my electric blower but if it's too much what size fan do I need? Something like a box fan?

Comment

You want a gentle breeze not a hurricane, box fan on low or med.

Comment

If you use a leaf blower just stand further back.

I have seen a helicopter used successfully to keep away frosts in a vineyard and no problems.
              Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
              Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
              Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
              Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
              Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
              Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
              Last Grow: A mix

Comment

• Rwise
                Rwise commented
                Editing a comment
                They use them on the peach trees here.

• Bluey
                Bluey commented
                Editing a comment
                It keeps away brown rot on the fruit.

Thanks everyone, I'll see if I can remember all that next year.

Comment

• TopThumb
                TopThumb commented
                Editing a comment
                That's all I grow is clones. I've only grown Sishberry(sp), Mac and Blue dream. How does yours compare? .When would they be ready, May? I definitely can make it to CP.
                Last edited by TopThumb; 10-30-2023, 05:04 PM.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X