New Grow, New Techniques.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Grow, New Techniques.

Well I asked the questions and listened to the answers. I am starting my next grow using coco for the first time. Perhaps this will help my yields somewhat. Depending upon how heavy wet coco is compared to soil, I may be able to move from three to five gallon pots on subsequent grows. We'll see, baby steps. I don't like to change too many growing conditions at one time. Doing so muddies up determining what does and does not work. This grow will be autos. Yes, I know that auto's often result in smaller yields, but cool weather is upon us and I grow in my garage. 3 Deadhead OG and 3 Scarlett Runtz Courtesy of Going2fast.

Unless someone says otherwise, I intend to add worm castings to my mix. Yes/No?​
    Current Grow: 1 GG4, 2 Hot Cakes, 1 Sweet Gelato Autos
    3 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

I add it to my mix not heavy but if you were using 3gal for 4 plants and in that mixed amount of coco i'd put just 3 cups of worm casting in the mix and i'd put perilite in there too. I get leary about compaction.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• OldManGrower
      OldManGrower commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. This was exactly the information I was seeking. I had no idea if I should add worm castings and if so, how much.

• Bluey
      Bluey commented
      Editing a comment
      I've added perlite to the coco for this grow but only cause I'm growing autos and figured they needed it for a better start.

In my last couple of coco grows growing photos just 100% coco, no perlite. No issue with compaction but not using coco dust, good size coco chips.

Congrats on moving to coco with 30% perlite I hope. Imo you should start with straight GH trio with calmag and pH adjust as needed. That should give you a good baseline for further comparison. I tried worm castings once. All it got me was fungus gnats. I use 3 gallon fabric pots because that is what works for me, tent size, water hauling, humidity management, Weight wise the coco/perlite is very light with the majority of the wight coming fro the water held in the coco. A good warning that they are getting to dry is when the weight goes way down.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Yeah, I'm following the mix formula on GWE. which includes a lot of perlite. My only potential variance is the worm castings. I have used the GH Trio for many grows along with Cal/Mag and Silica in hot weather. I have read that the PH for Coco is much lower than for soil. I need to go back and check that out. Can anyone enlighten me?
      Current Grow: 1 GG4, 2 Hot Cakes, 1 Sweet Gelato Autos
      3 gallon cloth pots
      30"x30"x60" tent
      Spider Farmer SE3000
      Coco Pearlite mix
      GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Ever wondered how to use coco coir blocks to make a cannabis-friendly rich potting mix? This tutorial breaks it down...

Comment

• OldManGrower
          OldManGrower commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for saving me the effort.

This is the schedule I use. Upper left has instructions and pH targets. 5.5 to 6.5

Comment

I am in a similar boat wanting to up yields and exploring coco is an option I’m considering. I’ll be following along. Good luck!

Comment

I've got a Scarlett Runtz, and Scarlett Sunset auto both from Going2fast growing right now. I use a 50/50 mix of perlite with no additional ingredients The CX Horticulture nutrients take care of that for me.
            Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11" HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite
            Autopot system
            : 1 Purple Haze/Malawa 100% Sativa Ace Seeds 1 Strawberry Cough ILGM
            Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 2 Purple Haze/Malawi & 2 Malawi 100% Sativa Ace seeds
            Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              The Runtz was my favorite but all of them did really well outdoors when the temps heated up.

• Going2fast
              Going2fast commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for the interest. Please share your results with me if you don't mind. Pm is fine if you wish.

Best of luck on the grow! The runtz sounds like might be my kind of medicine. Hope it is for you

I am getting ready to do a coco grow alongside my current grow. I decided not to add worm castings because I want to try and wash the coco perlite mix and reuse it. I figure I could always try making a tea with casings rather than putting it in the mix.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X