To top or not to top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To top or not to top

I usually make mistakes about around this phase. So far I have a few beauty's doing the transition to the vegetative stage. Most i have read say to top between the 4th and fifth node. Do i count the node with the cotyledon leaves?? Thanks Dirty

Attached Files

If you are going to do it, you are at about the right size. The cotyledons and first single lobed serrated leaf would both be considered node zero, The next usually 3 lobed leaf would be number one. It helps to have a plan as for how you want to top and train the plant and have a finished structure you are thinking about.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• Bluey
      Bluey commented
      Editing a comment
      Autos or photos?

First showing of proper leaf, not cotyledons, is the transition from seedling to veg according to most of what I have read.

They're looking good.

• dirtymike
      dirtymike commented
      Editing a comment
      Photo's Bluey, I haven't figured out auto's yet. LOL . Best beginners i've had in a long time. I usually drown them by now. Getting the hang of it.

• Bluey
      Bluey commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh cool. I love photos. All I've ever grown but I've got 10 auto seeds here and I'm slowly building up the courage to pop 8 of them for a quick auto run in the room...can't afford to drown them like I do with my photos.

I can't wait to try these. I have ;

2 "Sweet Mango" from Green House Seeds in Amsterdam, "3rd place “Best Autoflowering” in Expogrow-Irun 2015... https://shop.greenhouseseeds.nl/femi...et-mango-auto/

I'm yet to decide on the final line up but likely 4 Red CBD x AK47 & 2 Red CBD x Red CBD, both from a highly regarded extremely generous long time breeder in North America

I agree with Blueyand also cut at the 5th node not in between 4 and 5 nodes whats that 4 1/2. Good Luck
    1 Marshydro tsl 2000 @ 300 watt.
    1 sf2000 @200 watts
    2 philzon @230 watts
    2x4x5 tent
    3x6x8 closet
    Fox Farm ocean forest
    Black gold for seedling
    3 gal pot holes in sides and bottom
    RH 40-60
    Temp 70-80
    Feeding with FF trio with molasses
    calmag and a little flower fuel
    Light at 10 -16 inches above canopy

Finished growing: Durban poison x Atomic Shiva, Dark Matter x Atomic Shiva, Golden Goat x Atomic Shiva and Summit Sweet Skunk x Atomic Shiva

Next up: Apple Fritter 2x, ATF, Og Kush.

Comment

• Smallgrow
      Smallgrow commented
      Editing a comment
      I think LemonBud just means after the fifth node cut off the top.

That’s what I’ve settled on too
      I saw some excellent growers do it after the third but for me that didn’t work out.
      The fifth seems safe, I’ve done autos that way too, as long as they are in excellent heath to begin with

• Ckbrew
      Ckbrew commented
      Editing a comment
      third, fourth, fifty, It all depends on what structure is trying to be made. If manifold is the objective, third. everything else will be striped off. If quad or hexlining, 4 or 5. It all depends on what you want the plant to do.

• dirtymike
      dirtymike commented
      Editing a comment
      My typical grow is Quad or helix Ckbrew, 4 - 8 colas usually. Forgot about Node 0. Waiting for 5th to get up and off with her head. I do 4 in a tent so it works out good. These i think will be tall so i got up and not much out, LOL

I usually top at the 6th node then once the plants are a bit more established I remove the first node completely. I use manifold technique and always find the first node never results in anything worthwhile

Comment

I'm paying close attention to these, never had any to do so well right out of the gate. Real fresh Beans

Comment

5th node cut back to 4th. Leave a half inch of stalk if you're going to be scrogging so that you don't split the branch when you're training.

Comment

I've only ever topped photos and always 1st top above the 3rd node directly under the 4th so I leave on as much offcut as possible. I always wait until I have at least double what I need before topping so cut off 3 nodes of new growth. It slows things down a bit doing it that way but the plants just power on through it.
          Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
          Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in each. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
          Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones
          Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 2 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower stretch over sativa x in flower room.
          Medium: Coco/perlite, mix of 13gal & 7.2gal pots, no drains
          Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD (harrvested dry 22oz), 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa x, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem in veg cupboards & 3x WW x SD & 2 OZ x SD in Aeroponics bucket.
          Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.

Comment

Very interesting thoughts and approaches. Love learning new stuff in here.
            So many different things to try, so little grow time
            KIS mix organic living soil from Black Sallow soils in 7gal. pots
            Black Swallow Organic Bloom mix top dress before flower.
            Reusing soil with Black Swallow nutrient pack between grows
            Maybe some compost teas
            Blumat watering system
            Microbial Mass and other microbial boosters(Wallace)
            3x4x6’ tent
            Photontek 465wpro
            6” AC Infinity outdoor air in and out, humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, oscillating fan.
            Inkbird controllers heat/humidity​

Comment

I top between the 5th and 6th node for autos and photos. I wasn't sure how the autos would respond, but I haven't noticed any negative affects.
              Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11" HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite
              Autopot system
              : 1 Scarlet Grapes & 1 Scarlet Sunset
              Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: Idle at the moment
              Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

1,000 words.

Comment

• Bluey
                  Bluey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  An auto node numbering plant...that will sell

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X