Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Female hermie seeds

Dear experts,
    I let my female plants go too long and they hermied. Is it true that all the seeds from those plants will also be female? Because that would make it a less painful mistake if they are.
    Appreciate it!

Most of them will be female. Some of them could be hermies. Depending on how much stress the plant went thru and genetic propensity. Usually non chemical ways are usually more stable sex wise but if you have mature seeds the pollination occured at least 5 weeks ago. I worked on a few crosses up to f7 using a starving method. No nutrients and lots of sodium (salt water) to produce the sex change. Plants were pretty stable. Never got more than a few seeds per plant when i wasn't doing it on purpose. It's a great way to get free female seeds and learn about breeding.

If you find seeds all around the plant, lower and top buds, then you may have genetics already very close to being hermaphrodite already. Usually the "leaving them too long" method for sex change creates pollen sacks so you can pollinate other much younger plants. There's not enough time to grow mature seeds if the plant was already reaching en of flowering

Comment

Interesting!
      Thank you for the intel.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        Your welcome, just my experience with one genetic family. Who knows how other strains may react. But it's not the end of the world. If you're worried about wasting time and resources try just a seed or two. Seeds in a clean bag or container in the fridge can last for years so there's no hurry

Seeds from the plant that hermied (S1 seeds) will have a greater tendency to hermie, all should be female unless you got some pollen from a true male then 50/50 with those. Seeds from others that did not hermie will have less of a tendency to hermie, but the chance is still there. But hey you could get lucky and none of them hermie, if you need the product use better seed and then when you have time use these. The seeds (from CA bag seeds) from my very own hermies were all hermies 100% and I tossed the rest of those seeds.

Comment

Ok. So these seeds will be a gamble. I'll probably wait till spring and try some of those outside so they won't be able to contaminate any of my good strains inside.
        I appreciate all the advice!!

Comment

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          Be kind to those around you that may also be growing outside.

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          That's what i did with 3 old bag seed seeds. I used them for outdoors this summer grow. I removed 1 male out of the 3 seeds. And the 2 females are the tallest of the 7 photos i got growing. The other 5 are seeds i purchased as Female photo and thankfully no male mixups i'm very old school with sexing plants so it took 4months of growth outdoors for me to see balls. But i kinda thought it was male do to it's structure, man they are great looking plants.

Rwise: No worries there. I'm in the middle of 10 acres. The only neighbors are a large honey bee colony. They may enjoy dancing on the buds!

SoOrbudgal: That's great! Thanks for the encouragement.

Comment

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          I can relate, my place is 1/4 mile square.

My early experience with early stage hermies was that seed produced by them tended to be more early stage hermies.
        After that experience I tossed all early stage hermies and tossed the seed.
        Only had very late stage hermies since then, likely from stress is my understanding, but very few indeed. Haven't found seed from them in any number though, just an occasional one I can't easily explain.
        Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
        Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
        Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
        Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
        Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
        Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
          9fingerleafs commented
          Editing a comment
          Because seeds take weeks to develop and late stage hermoes are mostly done flowering. If you let them pollinate younger females you'll have feminized seeds much more stable than those true bisexual early showing hermies

• Bluey
          Bluey commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds the go 9fingerleafs but my grows were outdoors and seasonal so all started pretty much the same time so didn't get that option back in the good ole days....

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X