Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the order of nutrients and supplements matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the order of nutrients and supplements matter?

I use the GH trio plus cal mag and silica. I have found that adding the nutrients to my water first and the two supplements second results in a much lower water PH then doing supplements first and nutrients second. Has anyone else ever noted this? Does it even matter other than a possible means of PH control? Does anyone have any idea why this might occur?
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 White Widow, 2 Critical Super Silver Haze
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Yes!!

Follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Silica normally needs to be added 1st and thoroughly mixed. It can bind if not done correctly.

Micro nutrients/suppliments normally added last.

Mix additives from different manufacturers and you can easily find yourself in strife with lockout and unstable pH.
    Last edited by Bluey; 07-21-2023, 03:12 PM.
    Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
    Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
    Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
    Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
    Last Grow: A mix

Comment

• OldManGrower
      OldManGrower commented
      Editing a comment
      I understand this. But your comment on silica is helpful. Why does the PH change depending on the order of nutrients?

• Bluey
      Bluey commented
      Editing a comment
      For a number of reasons and I understand that chemical reactions between the compounds is what we are trying to lesson. Chemical reactions can release or bind hydrogen atoms which will change the pH.

My instructions with Future Harvest nutes say to always add micro first and stir thoroughly before adding anything else. So yes, it does matter the order in which you add nutes and supplements. I follow FH directions.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• OldManGrower
      OldManGrower commented
      Editing a comment
      The same with the GH trio. However, I was looking as to whether it is better to put nutes first or supplements such as cal-mag.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      It seems like the standard protocol is to add Micro Grow Bloom or whatever yours are called first, and then supplements

While there isn't a universal rule, the order of adding nutrients and supplements can indeed affect pH levels. Your method likely impacts pH due to chemical interactions between the different components. It's not just about pH control; it can influence nutrient uptake by your plants, too. As for why this happens, it's probably a combo of the specific compounds in your supplements and how they react with the nutrients. Regarding your query about Argireline peptide, it's worth a shot! It's known for its potential benefits in skincare, but its effects on plant growth aren't as well-studied.
    Last edited by Shamshoo; 05-24-2024, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X