Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question re optimising yields

Hey all,

Just finished harvesting my last plant, was hoping for 10oz and ended up with 8 plus about 20g of popcorn and it got me thinking..

I've been doing a single plant ScroG in a 5gal fabric pot over a 2.5x2.5' net (rough measurement). From what I understand there's a trade-off between number of tops vs the size of the buds and pot/rootball size plays a part too. I can't remember how many tops I had but it was in the ballpark of 40. Would growing 2 plants in 3gal pots with 20 tops on each half of the same screen result in a higher yield (in theory, all parameters being ideal etc). I might be able to squeeze 2 5gal pots in but might be a tight squeeze in my frame and they may end up touching (the pots) which seems like a big no-no.

Keen to hear your thoughts/feedback!
    2.5x2.5x6' tent
    2x 55w COB veg, 400w HPS flower
    Coco/perlite with mycorrhizal mix in fabric bags
    2-part base nutes + veg/bloom boosts, bud boost, calmag
    Carbon filter/exhaust, 6" oscillating fan, usb static fan
    Gear and controllers for heat/humitidy used as needed

Strain unknown

I'm an outdoor grower so I don't have much experience with small spaces. But I know the trade off would be more in the time parameter more than anything. This can surely translate to yield if you let the plants grow bigger or more tops. 5 gal pots are too big for that space. Depending on your availability to water daily you would have way better results with smaller pots. 2 gallons maybe. There's no issue with pots touching each other so I would try to fit 4 small pots, reducing the time it takes to fill the space drastically. Also more plants means more main branches which produce bigger buds.

If you are looking to increase your yields, and with a 400w light I'm sure you can, I would focus on the height of the colas and the number of branches. You can have colas separated by just a few inches with the right support and enough air flow. Also the strain plays a big part. You want long colas of golf sized buds, not baseball bats colas that are more prone to rot.

Check this video. You want to fill the tent like this in the shortest time possible. They used only one plant but you can use 2 or 3 or 4 and fill it faster

Comment

Hey transcend

I only top 3 times and produce close to a pound/plant over a 130 day grow...I use a standard manifold method with LST.

Details below
      Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
      Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in each. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
      Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones
      Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 2 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower stretch over sativa x in flower room.
      Medium: Coco/perlite, mix of 13gal & 7.2gal pots, no drains
      Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD (harrvested dry 22oz), 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa x, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem in veg cupboards & 3x WW x SD & 2 OZ x SD in Aeroponics bucket.
      Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.

Comment

It's possible with 2-3gal photoperiod. In your case it's limited to your space. I've seen your last plant and it was trained very well for the space as you see smaller buds with lots of tops is what you get in the space. Trade off is limited topping and longer veg time. But your head space is the challenge to achieving long colas.

Comment

Maybe you can find some helpful info in this very short grow..https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-area

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X