What leads to fewer thicker branches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What leads to fewer thicker branches?

so after a bit of testing, i realized that my strategy for getting fewer thicker branches isn't really working, i kept on cutting the heads off the tallest branches thinking it would cause them to grow larger as opposed to long and thin, instead now i have even more small branches...

i'm trying to get thick stems, and a less bushy plant, i already do LST and supercropping, but my plants are still extremely bushy and i don't like so. i'd like my buds to be bigger as opposed to many small buds

what other technique can i use to achieve this? i was thinking maybe cutting all the new growth would trick the plant into putting all it's energy in the already existing branches, can this be possible?

btw i'm outdoors and have a 1.3m ish height limit​

You won't get thick branches at 1.3meters. It's just too short. But you're right. Don't top and remove side branches to focus on main branch. Still it's not enought height for the branches to get thick. Only vertical growth thickens the branches. Look for the most indica structured plant with the least stretch (like afghans) but it doesn't make sense yield wise to leave only one branch. There's no real benefit having big buds. Just bigger mold risk. There's a reason why the top notch quality in dispensaries are mostly medium sized buds. The outside of the bud grows way more trichomes than the inside. So more surface area = more trichomes = stronger more flavourful buds = better quality

Comment

A decent breeze will thicken branches, but thicker branches equate to nothing, except thicker branches.

Your focus needs to be on number of flowers you can support with your light and space...and it is relative also to type of medium and pot size if growing in pots.
      Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
      Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
      Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
      Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
      Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
      Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
      Last Grow: A mix

Comment

Originally posted by 9fingerleafs View Post
        You won't get thick branches at 1.3meters. It's just too short. But you're right. Don't top and remove side branches to focus on main branch. Still it's not enought height for the branches to get thick. Only vertical growth thickens the branches. Look for the most indica structured plant with the least stretch (like afghans) but it doesn't make sense yield wise to leave only one branch. There's no real benefit having big buds. Just bigger mold risk. There's a reason why the top notch quality in dispensaries are mostly medium sized buds. The outside of the bud grows way more trichomes than the inside. So more surface area = more trichomes = stronger more flavourful buds = better quality
        well, it's to make my plant more managable, i'm growing in 10gal pots and i i need to be able to move the thing around, the fact that i'm limited to 1.3 meters means that with LST i grow my plant to be very large. having sooo many small branches make the plant extremely bushy and hard to manage, also it produces lots of small buds that are a pain in the ass to harvest. having fewer thicker branches would be better for me

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
          9fingerleafs commented
          Editing a comment
          I see. In that case you gotta focus on the right strain. Something that grows big colas with no stretch. I grow outdoors but my plants get up to 2.2 meters high. Can't really recommend a short big cola strain because I haven found one that produces the high quality buds I need. maybe something like critical or big bud

I can't talk to quality because I'm a beginner but these Whiskey Zulu are about 17" tall and I think the colas are big enough. They might be amazing outdoors.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221217_165848444.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.80 MB ID:	598494
        Last edited by 90Gizmo; 06-26-2023, 03:03 PM.
        Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
        Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
        Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

Originally posted by lilnug420 View Post

well, it's to make my plant more managable, i'm growing in 10gal pots and i i need to be able to move the thing around, the fact that i'm limited to 1.3 meters means that with LST i grow my plant to be very large. having sooo many small branches make the plant extremely bushy and hard to manage, also it produces lots of small buds that are a pain in the ass to harvest. having fewer thicker branches would be better for me
          Use a trolley and I recommend keeping pots off the ground to make it easier to move and it can help with pests. You could even sit them on home made dollies. Too easy.

Secondly, remove all the small stuff and just keep the main colas if you don't like the small stuff
          Flower Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting and climate automated. Hand watering.
          Veg Cupboards: ​​​​​​Two 4x2x6H cupboards. SF2000 Evo in one SF7000 in other. Climate controlled and automated. Hand watering
          Aeroponics Low Pressure Bucket: 20W LED. 5 clones & 20W LED 11 clones
          Lights: Mars Hydro FC-E1200W, SF-7000, SF-2000 evo in flower room.
          Medium: Coco/perlite, 7.2gal pots, no drains
          Current Grow: ​​​5 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel in flower room, 3 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel Clones, 13 x Orange ZkittleZ x Sour Diesel clones in Aeroponics buckets x 2.
          Last Grow: A mix

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X