Good idea or bad? Lighting hack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good idea or bad? Lighting hack

The lights in my microgrow were too close to the plants. The small cables that hold the light up are too long and not adjustable. I used some twine to tie it higher at a proper distance from the plants. The light is an HLG 100. Will the twine hold?
    Attached Files

Maybe, for a bit..then not.
    Got some fishing line?
    Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
    Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
    Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
    Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
    Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
    Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

• changeofpace2014
      changeofpace2014 commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree a temp fix until your grow is complete then do a proper install...Note: that twine is flammable to keep it away from anything to hot to touch..Your pics look like it will be ok 4 now..

I use what we call #12 jack chain. Easy to make as long as you need.

Click image for larger version

Name:	61iu-FGWM-L._AC_SX355_.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	595782

Comment

Yes the jute will hold. That's what we used to make those stool seats in summer camp back then and cat scratching posts now. Mostly now I use Paracord or number 10 bank line. An cord lock thingy can be made from a soda can pull tab... Then order a half dozen of the regular hight adjusting Cables from Amazon for $20.
      Last edited by 90Gizmo; 05-13-2023, 08:30 AM.
      Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
      Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
      Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

The jute should work if that is what you have. Over time it may start to fray and thin out and will need to be replaced. Hang them with a knot in the twine called a "taught line hitch" you will need to look it up as I could easily show you in person but I just don't have the patience or energy to try and describe it here. This knot slides on itself changing the length of the twine making it easy to change the height of the light.
        Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• 90Gizmo
          90Gizmo commented
          Editing a comment
          Tenderfoot! If I were going to use a hitch I'd use a truckers hitch.
          Last edited by 90Gizmo; 05-14-2023, 08:23 AM.

• Ckbrew
          Ckbrew commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't believe a trucker's hitch will slide to adjust the total length with out retying the knot. A taught line hitch can be infinatly adjusted over and over with out re-tying the knot.

• 90Gizmo
          90Gizmo commented
          Editing a comment
          The taught line hitch will loosen as the line loads and unloads from the light swinging or being bumped. It won't stay put for the length of a grow. I wish we were neighbors because I love talking about this stuff. I used to use them for temporary shelters but now I'd be more likely to just put a peg into a loop than tie any knot at all. I only use the truckers hitch for ridge lines because when I break camp I want it to be fast. How about a prusik knot?

Jute is not a good option to tie things that move. It frays easily when it rubs against something. I see how you have it tied to clips. I still do not think it is a good idea.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

• Bluey
          Bluey commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 10 characters

When I run out of space I just use a series of long zip ties and tighten a little as I go from there.

Comment

Here's a picture of using the soda can tab. (I assume your need is temporary, when you can just get the real hangers.)
          Click image for larger version  Name:	resized-20160321_190059.jpg?ssl=1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	165.1 KB ID:	595838
          Last edited by 90Gizmo; 05-14-2023, 08:19 AM.
          Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
          Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
          Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

• Ckbrew
            Ckbrew commented
            Editing a comment
            That is what a taught line hitch does except with out the can tab. The rope does the job of the tab.

• changeofpace2014
            changeofpace2014 commented
            Editing a comment
            Dam I love to see the results when people actually Think Out of the box...Nice Catch

with that HLG lamp, you'll be fine with the twine. You may want to get a better rope for the next grow. I use the chains as suggested by 3Berries. I have replaced all of the cable hangers on my HLG lights with chains. I like the non-fraying qualities of that chain...just sayin'.
          Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
          Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
          Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X