Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never seen this before in 30+ years growing. Identical twins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never seen this before in 30+ years growing. Identical twins?

I've been growing a long time. While I can't say I'm an expert of any sort I do have quite a bit of experience. I have never seen this, nor seen anyone posting about this before. I germinated 16 blueberry seeds in preparation for this year's outdoor crop. As you can see by the photos, one of the seeds popped open and revealed something interesting. TWO radicles. At first, I figured it was a mutant with two tails, but as the recent photos show, it is in fact two separate plants. FROM ONE SEED. I took another not-so-great picture right before I put it in the soil.

Has anyone had this happened to them? Again, I'm no expert but I've been around. I really have never seen anyone mention this occurrence before. Pretty cool, right? I'm going to just let them grow together, since they are, by definition, identical twins. Or, are they? I'm not a botanist but I assume this would hold true for plants as well.

I'll do some more research online about it, but I wanted to post it here and see what everyone thought.

I don't know man. But it's SUPER COOL!
    SF 35X47X70 tent
    SF1000 X4
    AC Infinity 6 inch exaust fan
    AC Infinity ocillating fan X2
    FFOF Soil
    FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
    GH Flora Series
    3 and 5 gallon fabric pots

Mango Sherbert
    Gelato Cake
    Grape Icecream auto by going2fast

Comment

I agree. There's a tons of mutations and weird things you can find online but actually twins is super cool and extremely rare. Never heard anyone mention something like this. Keep us updated in how they develop

Comment

• User420111
        User420111 commented
        Editing a comment
        As I was looking this up it does indeed appear to be rare, but not extremely rare. First time for me though. Looks like one of them might be much stronger than the other and it will naturally just resolve itself. I will continue to catalog its growth and post again later.

It happens, most pull and or destroy 1 of them, some separate them and others let them grow as is, your choice. It has been posted before, rare yes.

Comment

I give time to plants whenever I feel stressed.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey fuckwit farmerchand if you don't quit your shit post and bring some knowledge your getting flagged and banned.

Well after a prolonged period when I thought the entire crop was failing they finally started getting green and happy. Seems like the twins are still happy to be together

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          It would be better now than later to separate them now while roots are small.

Still looking very nice. I considered separating them but figured since they're happy this way let's see how they grow.

Comment

You’d be better separating them, that way you’ll have 2 full size plants instead of 2 fighting over the same pot and yield half as much

Comment

• User420111
            User420111 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yield is not a problem, lol

I have more than I can consume in years

Just another update. Put the Mutant in the flowering room indoors. I know some have commented that it would be better to separate them and I get that. It's not wrong. It's just that I grow more than I can ever consume myself and don't need to be efficient. Also, I just wanted to see how they'd do together without pruning, LST or anything other than supplements in the water.

Turns out, they are identical sisters. Which is funny because the two other "normal" plants I kept from that batch wound up being male.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X