Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad to Meet This Way

Hello GWE

I've been lurking around for a few months and I've come to gwe now and then for many years.

In the late 70s, spread seeds in a giant circle in the state forest in New England learn to top and cull the males. Ended up with a few Buds and mostly leaf. I figure I was
    around 12.
    Phoenix in the 80s, high school years, had a few in the closet with seeds from the California Christmas spears, I called them, green piney and sweet. We re-veged one and thenslowly picked it to death. I've had others since then including a few 8 bulb T-5 grows around "the brick weed is all i can get?" years.
    My last grows were about 4-5 years ago. On the last grow my favorite girl hermied towards end. So sad. Those were with two Viper Spectra 300s (I think they're 150 W) and anHPS. I had just bought my first actual grow tent but I had to take some time off to be a foster parent and never used the tent until now. I lent my stuff out and only got one of the Vipra spectras back. Black friday I impulse bought an ac infinity 6" fan with controller and that started the urge to set up a 12x9 foot room in recording studio soon to be grow room.

So here's my latest grow
    Basically, it's all bag seed, that's over 10 years old, and the stains I cared for least are the ones I germinated with no real plan. I ended up with eight plants, three Hindu Kush, 3 Jedi Kush, one glueato, and one unknown. I expected a 50/50 ratio of males and kept looking and kept looking and I thought I could pull them long before flipping

them but I didn't see really any males. Flipped on Feb 15th. It turns out they're all females except for one Hermie (how is that possible? nodes seem non-symmetrical also. so seeds from hermied clones i am guessing). So I ended up culling the Hermie. put one of her sisters outside. the other sister and a Jedi Kush moved into a makeshift tent outside of my grow tent. Inside the actual grow tent (my first one btw) are just four plants now (the amount of plants i was expecting to have in there).
    So yesterday I noticed the scary damage to some of the leaves of hindi kush in makeshift tent area... mites or some other pest that I am not really sure. At about 70x under the microscope I've seen what looks like little sperm shaped translucent larvae maybe.
    I moved the plant with damage outside but may see the sperm looking things on the leaves of plant next to it. I am telling myself "Dont Panic". But the bugs are saying 'thanks for the fish'

Any feedback, help, or criticism is welcome and appreciated.

Fox farms trio, 2parts ocean floor, 1 part happy frog, 1 part perlite. I used kelp me after each transplant. Maybe holy maceral once.
    4 in tent under fc4800.
    Make shift tent - 1 vipraspecter 300. 1 $41 Amazon special Baylabs xm-1000

This isn't the intro thread I intended.โ€‹ Nice to be here just the same
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20230319_153357.jpg Views:	0 Size:	250.0 KB ID:	591797 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230320_140224.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.86 MB ID:	591792 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230319_153330.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	591793 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230319_152936.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	591794 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230319_142512.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.13 MB ID:	591795 !โ€‹
    Attached Files

Wtf kinda bug does that damage?!? I can't really make out what the critters are in the pictures. Do you have better images of the pests? I'm assuming you think spider mites. If so, you have two options:
    Cut and run(trash it and sterilize)
    Go to war(like a serious assualt)
    Good luck friend. I'm interested to see how it goes!
    Back to playin in the dirt!
    Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
    I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like scale?

• Blowdout2269
      Blowdout2269 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, almost shiny

I would try ISO mixed with water at 1 part ISO to 8 parts water. This is a contact killer and evaporates completely. With the lights off, spray them top side then under side soak them good, the soil pot floor everything. Then put a fan on them to dry faster, this will not damage anything, leaves nothing behind but dead bugs. It also needs to be done every 3 days for at least 3 treatments, then watch close. I would also spray all of the plants.
    Also check into bud washing to get rid of poo and dead bugs.
    I too cannot see the bugs, but they are there.

Comment

• Blowdout2269
      Blowdout2269 commented
      Editing a comment
      Dead center of third pic, right under the damage that's on the third finger, two critters, I think...
      Can't zoom enough.

It looks like caterpillar damage
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

I had some unidentified pests in my garden. I had good results with Garden Safe fungicide3. About $9 a bottle purchased at Walmart. All my plants were still in Veg. You should get some more opinions before using it since your in flower. Good Luck.
      SF 35X47X70 tent
      SF1000 X4
      AC Infinity 6 inch exaust fan
      AC Infinity ocillating fan X2
      FFOF Soil
      FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
      GH Flora Series
      3 and 5 gallon fabric pots

Mango Sherbert
      Gelato Cake
      Grape Icecream auto by going2fast

Comment

• BU2B
        BU2B commented
        Editing a comment
        your heart is in the right place... but I really wouldn't use neem oil during flowering. Not only does it make your buds taste like crap the health concerns of smoking neem oil are not something you want to be thinking or worrying about while trying to get a buzz on. This is just my personal preference but something you might want to take into account before using ANY pesticide organic or not during flowering.

• Mollisol
        Mollisol commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the info. I've heard the same thing from several other growers. If you had an absolute emergency could you paint it on the leaves and stems with an artist brush?

• BU2B
        BU2B commented
        Editing a comment
        Mollisol indeed you COULD but my question would be would that then drive the pests to your buds?

Maybe Thrips?

Comment

That's unlike any thrip damage I've ever seen. And I've had my share of battle with them buggers!

Does no one else see them, or am I hallucinating?
        Back to playin in the dirt!
        Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
        I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Ummmm no hallucination but also i don't think it's thrips either

โ€‹I looked at all the damaged leaves under the scope and saw no pest originally only damage. I kinda see some shiny leaves and thought maybe broad mites after looking through gwe. Leaves were outside for hours and i later found these critters but figured they might be from outside Click image for larger version

Name:	20230319_181703.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	591930 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230319_181716.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	591931 .

I removed the plant from grow area yesterday and wiped the area with 91% iso and today I noticed these small yellowish spots that are clumps of eggs when viewed at 60x.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20230321_104422.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	591925 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230321_104710.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	591924
        and these pests

Name:	20230321_104314.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	591934 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230321_104659.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	591933 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230321_105008.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	591926
        but I do not necessarily know these were the cause of the original damage. I am going to watch those spots of eggs and see. The best case is maybe a moth or caterpillar. I am going to watch the plant it was next to closely and maybe move oit away from the tent. I have seen no damaged leaves in the tent.

Thanks for the input
        Attached Files

Comment

• Blowdout2269
          Blowdout2269 commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr.furley beat me to it!
          That is exactly as I see these photos. ๐Ÿ‘

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          Blowdout2269
          Great minds........

• StickyNugsAZ
          StickyNugsAZ commented
          Editing a comment
          Flipped on 2-15, started showing a week later so about 4 weeks into flower.
          Are thrips a bug you would find outside normally in a backyard? So that one night outside a plant might attract one? I am not sure I have a bug prob inside necessarily but I am watching closely.
          The third and fourth pics are a yellowish spec that when looked at with 60x scope definitely appear to be a pile or clump of eggs. I will try to get some better pics.

Name:	D6F71A07-26A1-489E-B14A-0C393E08A648.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	591944
        Arizona Sunshine - itโ€™s even good inside๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Comment

• Blowdout2269
          Blowdout2269 commented
          Editing a comment
          I want that sticker! ๐Ÿ˜‹

I have been vigilant in watching for pests. I isolated the damaged leaves and watched them. I set the plant that had damage outside and have been watching it for any type of critters. No critters anywhere but I will more than likely try washing any outside buds I intend to smoke. I put diatomaceous earth at the perimeter of grow room preventively but going to try to avoid it around flowers for now. It should not be inhaled. The 4 in the tent look great. I put the other plant under my old blurple and returned the cheap light while I could get my $ back.

The only pest I have seen in the grow area was a mosquito hawk (aka crane flies) and I doubt it would nibble on leaves. So I did not really identify where that damage came from, but I feel pretty confident my area is pest free. Even from fungus gnats my personal freaking nemesis.

(looking for pests at a micro level can make you go nuts. I think I am going to get the usb microscope that gwe links to for pics in the future)

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X