First Grow Tent Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Grow Tent Setup

Hi all! I definitely made some mistakes with this setup. Which I will share with you.

SF 35X47X70 tent
    SF1000 lights
    AC Infinity 6 inch Variable speed exhaust fan
    Two AC Infinity 6 inch oscillating fans

The tent frame assembly is simple and quick. Sliding the framing inside the fabric was terrible. The instructions are vauge at best. This is definitely a two person job. Even then it was a hassle.

I tried to use 6 inch aluminum flexible duct at first. Similar to clothes dryer vent. Dont do this! The duct barely fit through the tent ports and it kept tearing and seperating. I was also worried the sharp edges would cut my tent fabric. I ended up using regular HVAC 6 inch insulated duct. I had to pull the fiberglass insulation out of ducting to make it fit through the tent ports.

I bought some fiberglass filter media cut it to size and taped it over all three intake vents. Looks a little trashy but hopefully it will keep the tent clean. I also dropped the intake vents low in the tent. My thought was since the exhaust fan is mounted high it will have to draw air up from the bottom of the tent. This should improve circulation.

I placed the tent on top of a piece of 3/4 '' Styrofoam insulation board. I'm in a basement and the floor is concrete and cold.

All three of the plants are starting 12/12 light schedule tomorrow. I think it's going to get crowded in the tent. I hope to control it with LST and supercropping if I have to. We will see! ​​​​​ image widget
    Last edited by Mollisol; 03-19-2023, 06:14 PM.
    SF 35X47X70 tent
    SF1000 X4
    AC Infinity 6 inch exaust fan
    AC Infinity ocillating fan X2
    FFOF Soil
    FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
    GH Flora Series
    3 and 5 gallon fabric pots

Mango Sherbert
    Gelato Cake
    Grape Icecream auto by going2fast

Looks good to me. Nothing wrong with some DIY engineering. Drawing air down low is good, it's better if you can get an intake on the opposite side of the tent from the exhaust, or have two openings down low on opposite sides. If not, go with what ya have. Good circulation is critical.
    Last edited by golfnrl; 03-19-2023, 06:16 PM.
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Hey thanks. The two intakes on the back of the tent are on the opposite side of the exhaust. But your right I might be able to move the bottom side intake (right under the exaust fan in pic) if there is a port on the other side. That would be an improvement for sure.

SF 35X47X70 tent
      SF1000 X4
      FFOF Soil
      FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
      GH Flora Series

Mango Sherbert
      Gelato Cake

Comment

I have that same (sized) tent and been using it for years, love it, and think it's the perfect size for many applications. If you put the top on first with all the zippers undone then slide the bottom under things go smoothly one person style.
        You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

looks like my old setup....nice and tall....this time around I had my tent setup like you have in the pic, however had to extend the exhaust vent to another area to keep the RH and temps down...and that was with door open because a 4" fan is not enough...waiting on grow to complete so I can install a 6" fan...

Comment

Hi all. Thanks for all your comments. With my exaust fan running at about 25%. And all the lights set to 80%. The highest temperature I've recorded in the tent is 68F. And RH is around 35 -45 %.
            Its still cold in the Midwest. And I'm in a very old home. Lots of air leaks in basement windows ect. I have a basement dehumidifier running set to turn on 50% RH. This time of year it barely runs because the humidity is so low.
            SF 35X47X70 tent
            SF1000 X4
            FFOF Soil
            FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
            GH Flora Series

Mango Sherbert
            Gelato Cake

Comment

You will need to work out how best to raise your RH. Ultrasonic misters work well. Under 40% can be problematic for a plants health and you should be up around 60% at that stage of growth.
              You can probably drop your exhaust fan down to its lowest setting. That should raise temps and RH a little too.
              Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
              Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
              Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
              Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 2 x Autos Greenhouse Seeds Amsterdam Sweet Mango, 2 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel. All feminised.
              Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
              Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

• Mollisol
                Mollisol commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. I've been fiddling around with the fan setting as you suggested. When this March cold snap ends my ambient humidity and temperature will rise. They will just have to suffer through it until then.

Hi all. Is it common see a few small light leaks around your grow tent zippers? I'm a little irritated. Spider Farmer tents aren't top end but not cheap ether.

Secondly, I'm adding a forth SF1000 to the tent. I've been very happy so far with them.
              SF 35X47X70 tent
              SF1000 X4
              FFOF Soil
              FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
              GH Flora Series

Mango Sherbert
              Gelato Cake

Comment

• Mr.furley
                Mr.furley commented
                Editing a comment
                Haven't met a tent yet that doesn't have pin holes, cheap, spendy doesn't matter.

• 90Gizmo
                90Gizmo commented
                Editing a comment
                My tent said guarantee no holes. Shipped with a roll of black electrical tape!

I can only speak for Gorilla tents...Yes, a pin hole or two around a zipper...usually covered by a flap or zipper cover. But there nonetheless.
              Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
              Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
              Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

The observation windows are velcro and light leaks around all three of them. I taped them all shut.
                SF 35X47X70 tent
                SF1000 X4
                FFOF Soil
                FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
                GH Flora Series

Mango Sherbert
                Gelato Cake

Comment

Forth SF1000 hung in tent. I could have saved some cash if I had ordered an SF4000 or equivalent.
                  Attached Files
                  SF 35X47X70 tent
                  SF1000 X4
                  FFOF Soil
                  FF Soil Trio. and CalMag
                  GH Flora Series

Mango Sherbert
                  Gelato Cake

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X