a germination story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a germination story

friday night i decided sort of on the spur of the moment to try to germinate a oneoff seed that i had.... as some of you know, i have had all manner of troubles with germination, mostly, i think (from after the fact analysis) due to a bad batch of pHdown and the rest due to my own stupidity/inexperience.

sooo this time i literally said "fuck it, let's try this...", after having been marinating on whoever it was that germinates his seeds on his DVR....can't remember who you are...but thank you!!

first i tore a little 3"x3" inch square of paper towel and folded it over twice, so ultimately the size of a large jelly bean when mashed. i wrung/smushed it until it no longer dripped water. so it was closer to wet/damp, further along the continuum than moist, when i put the seed in the middle of it and wrapped it back up. i then put that in a tiny ziploc (size 'snack bag'). i put that in the front pocket of my denim jeans. this was about 11 p.m. Friday. i stupidly forgot about it when i went to bed round 2 a.m. so it sat with no body warmth for about 6-8 hours overnight. then next morning i put it back in my pocket and went about my business. saturday night i put it in the pocket of my pajama shorts while i slept and so continued the experiment.

at no time did i remove anything from anything. not the paper towel from the baggie, not opening the paper towel to "check on things", nothing.

this morning at 9 a.m. i opened it up for the first time to find a beautiful 1/4"+ long taproot, just ready to be planted....

"i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Great! Now I'll have to start wearing pajamas!! LOL (I know, more info than You really want!!)
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

....LOL!!!

Comment

Hahahaha I'm truly motivated by your story. I'm gonna take the liberty to recreate your experiment. I've been having trouble germinating. Right now I'm trying a new method just for experimentation. In a little metal mesh strainer(not sure what is called. Its what you use to filter out coffe) put the seeds in there. Wrap in a wet towel and put in the sink opening the tap enough to drip every few seconds to keep moist. This way supposedly keeps the seeds from resting in the water

Comment

well...when you've tried every other dang thing it's time to try something else.... or at least that was my initial thinking....the DVR use led me to thinking about constancy and consistency of heat source. i've got a heating pad but it only has lo med hi settings...plus i'm pretty sure lo is too high...plus a heating pad is like 16"x20", way WAY too big for germinating or at least for me...so that led me back to something like the following question: what in my house has constant low heat (ala the person who uses his DVR...thank you again, wish i could remember who you are!!)...and the only thing i came up with that fit those constraints was the dog, the cats and me. i chose me.

Comment

• bobsakamoto
            bobsakamoto commented
            Editing a comment
            well it looks like you got a choice to make my friend....pajamas or the cat...LOL

• DW2
            DW2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Is the cat 'de-clawed'? Safety first, before I try to 'strap' anything on!!! (LOL)

• bobsakamoto
            bobsakamoto commented
            Editing a comment
            DW2 i am so cracking up right now!!!

That is the funniest method ever! Very nice.
          Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

Thats a great story! Really needed a chuckle right now.
            Current grow: http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...could-2nd-grow

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X