Unusual temps require unusual response.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual temps require unusual response.

Well it's 6F this morning with a -11 F wind chill here in the sunny south. I grow in a tent in an uncooled and unheated attached garage. Had to turn off the exhaust fan last night and close off all the openings to the tent in order to retain the heat generated by my little heater. Fortunately, the ladies survived and continue to thrive. Shutting off the fan means the carbon filter does not function. So, frozen crop vs stinky garage. Swmbo would be unhappy so, in the holiday spirit, I didn't tell her. It appears that cooler temps in the tent correlate to less odor. Did not know this. Woke up to 55F in the garage and 71F in the tent. Apparently the insulation I applied to the garage doors is working out well. Humidity remains an issue with about 18% in the garage and 27% in the tent, I placed a jar of water directly in front of the heater. The evaporating water helps.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Anyone ever heard of Ice Weed?
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Ice weed has twice the alcoholic content of normal weed. Tonight I'm going to throw a blanket or something insulating over the tent.
    Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
    Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
    Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

I have my indoor tent covered in that reflective bubble wrap right now. It's against a cold outside wall.

I have an AC Infinity 4" exhaust fan for the whole house. Bought a controller just to monitor the humidity mainly but can also monitor the temps in the crawlspace. Down to 40F or so. I need to cut a 4" hole in the floor of the closet it's in and when it gets too cold blow house air down into the crawlspace with the fan.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Crawlspace temp drop 122322.png Views:	0 Size:	77.9 KB ID:	583756
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Crawlspace temps 122322 24hr.png Views:	0 Size:	82.2 KB ID:	583757

Comment

• changeofpace2014
        changeofpace2014 commented
        Editing a comment
        In our crawl space the RH runs in the low to mid 50 % range and in the tent it runs about 13% higher with the lights off and about 5 % lower when they are on. I borrowed a p.i.d from another project that was put on back burner, I know the RH drops, in the tent when the lights come back on, so the plan is to set the temp on the p.i.d, to keep temps up and RH around 60 - 62% when lights are off..using a little floor heater set on low to achieve.. That is the plan. My air exchange is high but, not high enough from what I can tell it would require total volume in tent to be replaced less then a minute because the t.v.of air is being replaced about every 2 min or so.. should of bought a 6" exhaust fan with 400 cfm and not the 200 cfm 4".

• 3Berries
        3Berries commented
        Editing a comment
        I have 5 automation settings in the app too for this tent. Meant to preserve heat on lights off and help build it when the lights first come on. The RH I run higher than optimal VPD for the first hour to get all up to temp. Have a little heater that comes on 15 minutes before the lights.

• changeofpace2014
        changeofpace2014 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry did not mention we have a fresh air system along with the central heat / ac. The fresh air system has means to control humidity some; I have been playing with the settings and watching the rh in the house and in the crawl.. I have seen rh in the crawl down to about 45 or 47 % outside the tent..Currently watching a video explain the settings on this p.i.d i am attempting to use for a small heater to control heat / rh during lights off.

Nothing more counter productive then running an aquarium heater to keep the reservoir from freezing while hooked to a chiller to stay below 66f, SMH.

THE NORTH IS STARTING TO WARM SO THE SOUTH SHOULD FOLLOW, HANG IN THERE!
      Space for Rent.

Comment

• Blowdout2269
        Blowdout2269 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well at least you have it managed.
        Somewhat ridiculous though. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right?
        Stay warm(ish) buddy!

The dry air and cooler temps are doing great things to my trichomes.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	cd triches yikes.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	488.3 KB
ID:	583791 Click image for larger version

Name:	cd triches.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	458.6 KB
ID:	583792
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Merry Christmas MJ farmers. I use a heating blanket on my tent.
        1 Marshydro tsl 2000 @ 300 watt.
        1 sf2000 @200 watts
        2 philzon @230 watts
        2x4x5 tent
        3x6x8 closet
        Fox Farm ocean forest
        Black gold for seedling
        3 gal pot holes in sides and bottom
        RH 40-60
        Temp 70-80
        Feeding with FF trio with molasses
        calmag and a little flower fuel
        Light at 10 -16 inches above canopy

Finished growing: Durban poison x Atomic Shiva, Dark Matter x Atomic Shiva, Golden Goat x Atomic Shiva and Summit Sweet Skunk x Atomic Shiva

Next up: Apple Fritter 2x, ATF, Og Kush.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubba Kush auto 2 cut day 2.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	583812 Good morning and Merry Christmas. Time for the chop on my Bubba Kush auto.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bubba Kush auto 2 cut day.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.81 MB ID:	583811

Comment

Dumbass Me! I'm growing autos! I can leave my light on 24/7 and keep the tent warm. Got my humidity up to about 30% and temps in the tent to 70. Still leaving the fan off though. Even the lowest setting lowers the temperature 10 degrees.
            Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
            5 gallon cloth pots
            30"x30"x60" tent
            Spider Farmer SE3000
            Coco Pearlite mix
            GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

• Blowdout2269
              Blowdout2269 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm sure you're aware, but don't forget, keeping warmer temps might cause a drop in RH.

That sounds like a neat grow thru the colder months. Merry Christmas and Safe New Years. Peace Out OldManGrower
            1 Marshydro tsl 2000 @ 300 watt.
            1 sf2000 @200 watts
            2 philzon @230 watts
            2x4x5 tent
            3x6x8 closet
            Fox Farm ocean forest
            Black gold for seedling
            3 gal pot holes in sides and bottom
            RH 40-60
            Temp 70-80
            Feeding with FF trio with molasses
            calmag and a little flower fuel
            Light at 10 -16 inches above canopy

Finished growing: Durban poison x Atomic Shiva, Dark Matter x Atomic Shiva, Golden Goat x Atomic Shiva and Summit Sweet Skunk x Atomic Shiva

Next up: Apple Fritter 2x, ATF, Og Kush.

Comment

Due to the colder temps I have a heater to bring the temp up to temp before the lights come on that runs for 15 minutes. Lowest I see it getting in low 60Fs for the 4 hour off light period. But i set up the AC Infinity 67 4" fan with some automations for the entire 24 hr period. Main goal is to retain heat after lights off and let the heat build when the lights come on. it's a lot easier to control the humidity with higher temps when you start with colder temps.

Here is the set up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AC Infinfity automations (3).png Views:	0 Size:	91.3 KB ID:	583970
              Click image for larger version  Name:	AC Infinfity automations (2).png Views:	0 Size:	92.6 KB ID:	583971

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X