Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Hands-on advice needed on few LED lightning questions

Hello community!

I have read quite a few articles for "beginners" but some things are probably often left behind while they are very natural for some Not for me though... And its all about lightning so far

Talking about single autoflower in a small growbox 60x60x120 cm, in a soil (i had one "successful" run with this setup so looking for improvements and better overall experience):
    • Seeding stage - currently i decided (i think based on something i have read) to use less light for beginning and switch to more light with first true leaves. Does it makes sense or i should go full power in the very beginning.
    • LED Lightning question, this one is not that straightforward, what i have is some LED light (this), it has VEG + BLOOM options, says 1200W but real draw is around 70-80w per option, so lets say 160 combined. OF course light has other parameters to look at but its a bit complicated yet
      • When is the best time to start using this light?
      • Should i play with VEG/BLOOM or just use both?
      • If i should use VEG for starters when exactly to switch to BLOOM? Or maybe with first flowers i should use BOTH?
    Pretty cumbersome but that my first post.

Thanks!

I've always just used the veg light only for seedlings at about 30+ inches above plants but that's when there about 2wks old otherwise i have a seperate area for seedlings using a small t-5 light setup for sprouts an seedlings.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

It's all about light burn. Use the veg setting and hang the light as close as you can to the plants without burning them. Switch to Bloom as soon as you see flowers forming. I have a spider farmer SE3000 with variable dimming. they recommend 8-12 inches at 40-60% for veg and 6-8" at 90-100% for flower. You have to understand that you work towards what the plants seem to need vs, any form or written schedule for lights or nutes. There are few if any hard and fast rules just a lot of very general ones, As you gain experience you can learn to "read" the plants and adjust lights, temps and nutes as needed.
      Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
      5 gallon cloth pots
      30"x30"x60" tent
      Spider Farmer SE3000
      Coco Pearlite mix
      GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Thanks for prompt reply!

SoOrbudgal Regarding seeding, i also use basic led grow ligth for that, but for 24hrs (ecause its a dumb light and has either 12+12 mode or it wont tun back on if i use external timer) not sure if its good for the plant.

OldManGrower - while you can adjust intensity and i can only use VEG+BLOOM (that is probably something close to "full spectrum") would you suggest to use both when flowering or i still should stick to BLOOM and play with distance?

BR guys!

Comment

FOLLOW UP ON THAT.... What happens if you do veg--- then bloom and then veg a little more---- thats what Ive been doin just to see....
          definitely appreciate the comments above...very helpful...
          First timer grower
          Current Grow-
          Three King Strain Nov 3 - Clone of that strain also

Autoflowers Alaskan Ice and Zkittles

Comment

Ok, madman seems to have more experience than I when it comes to this kind of light so I would listen to him. As to switching the settings around by day, I really wouldn't do that as It may cause the plants to re-veg or hermie.
            Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
            5 gallon cloth pots
            30"x30"x60" tent
            Spider Farmer SE3000
            Coco Pearlite mix
            GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

I've got an LED that has the switch to turn off the red leds. I wonder if the red is beneficial for autos?

Comment

• golfnrl
                golfnrl commented
                Editing a comment
                3Berries I recently bought an HLG 350R for the red spectrum. I replaced an HLG Elite 360 mid grow in my auto tent. The girls responded immediately. They loved that light. The penetration is excellent. I am anxious to see what that light does with a full grow.
                Last edited by golfnrl; 11-23-2022, 07:22 AM. Reason: fixed typos

From One Old man to another- thanks for the Hermie comment-- I know what hermie means now...
              First timer grower
              Current Grow-
              Three King Strain Nov 3 - Clone of that strain also

Autoflowers Alaskan Ice and Zkittles

Comment

Thanks Guest

And seeding with 24x7 light reasonable?

Comment

100 Watts from the socket isn't much. Many LED manufacturers make claims about massive light values when in fact they are crap. My LED is a 900W and draws 450 from the socket so I know it's accurate (Vipar Spectra is a highly recognized brand).

If you are growing autos, in my experience it matters very little about the switches. I grow them with both Veg and Bloom on all the time. It's really about the distance from the plants. The seedlings don't require a lot of light until they start producing full sets of leaves. The leaves are the light collectors and feed the plant. Nutrients are like vitamins, light is the food.
                  I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X