Not what I expected from a 'Auto Flower'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not what I expected from a 'Auto Flower'

After a few starting problems, I had a succesful first grow with two photoperiod clones. My second grow is a RQS Northern Lights Auto, 18/12 light cycle. It starts it’s 9th week today (Weds) It’s reminding me of ‘Jack & The Beanstalk’ It’s very spindly, also seems fragile. It started off ok. I decided not to do any training, let it grow natural. I have had some yellow leaf tips develop, also further down ( I don’t think it’s a light problem) It seems to be taking it’s time – I read they can take a lot longer than the specs given. It’s still growing at around 3-4 cms a day, presently 119 cms – however, buds seem very slow to develop & hardly a trichome, in sight, maybe one glitter or so under a scope .
    I'll give a bit of history to the beginnings of the grow - I decided to reuse the coco coir/perlite mix from the photoperiods, (ratio was about 70/30).
    I washed thoroughly & buffered. A lot of dust/silt sifted out of the coco, what I was left with was some nice fiberous coco, however, the ratio of perlite increased, I reckon it was about 50/50, conesquently, run-off is very quick. At next days feed the coco is always dryish a few inches down from the top, sort off stickyish on the finger (no wilting of the plant) maybe I should have added more coco coir for a slower run-off ?

I started off the sprouted seed in a Jiffy pellet, then into a 1 litre air pot (dusting the roots with some free Great White mycorrrhizae) & finally into a 12.5 litre air pot. It didn’t seem to suffer any shock from the transplant, I was very careful (see photo) I’ve added yesterdays (Tues) diary entry below, feed details Ph etc - I would welcome comments about where I might be going wrong. ‘Showgun’ have now provided a feed chart for Auto’s whereas earlier I had been following the photoperiod feeding charts, using 1/3 to 1/2 of the quantities shown. Thanks.

p.s. This morning I just stuck my moisture meter (photo) into the pot and it’s showing almost dry.. It seems to be drinking a lot of water - Maybe I have to water twice a day for the plant to take up more nutrients?

Click image for larger version  Name:	2_Shogun_Auto_chart_Hard_water.jpg Views:	83 Size:	159.2 KB ID:	580247 Click image for larger version  Name:	2_Shogun_Auto_nutrient_Soft_water.jpg Views:	82 Size:	165.1 KB ID:	580248

Click image for larger version  Name:	1_1litre_to_12.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.2 KB ID:	580235

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	256.8 KB ID:	580236 Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	229.8 KB ID:	580237 Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	202.2 KB ID:	580238 Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	272.6 KB ID:	580239 Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	580240
    Last edited by Heisenbud; 11-11-2022, 04:57 AM.
    80 cm x 80 cm x 200 cm grow tent
    Portable 500w oil filled heater
    12.5 litre air pots - Coco coir,Perlite​
    Air circulation fan & extraction fan/filter
    Dehumidifier/humidifier ~ 'Ink Bird' controllers.
    Presently using 'Canna' nutrients / distilled water.
    'Photone' par/ppfd meter app for Iphone/Android
    Hanna HI 9214 Ph meter / Bluelab Truncheon E.C / ppm meter
    'Fecida' LED full spectrum 1000w equivalent / 125 watt draw from mains

Your EC is 1.0? What is the EC before you add the nutes? I'm guessing with rain water there are some natural elements? Distilled water shouldn't have any. If you don't take that into account your plants may not be getting enough food. What is the minimum recommended from the manufacturer? Also, you probably remember this from the photo grow but it's hard to over water with coco. Don't be afraid to water twice a day if the plants are asking for it. My experience when a plant gets leggy it's because the light either wasn't the right spectrum with enough power draw or it wasn't/isn't close enough.
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• Heisenbud
      Heisenbud commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi golfnri, I have a still, so have been using distilled water - I happened to have a couple of buckets outside catching the rain
      (trying to cut down on Electricity use, costs have rocketed) My tap water is EC 0.4 so thought I'd go distilled to give me more room for nutes - I add enough calmag to bring to EC 0.4 ~ since your last comments, which were very welcome, I have added the 'Shogun' Autoflower feed charts' I don't have all their nutes, but now using it as a guide using other equivelent nutes. I think you were right, "plants not getting enough food" I have stepped up the nutes last couple of days and the plant doesn't seem to be suffering deficiencies. Regarding LED lights, they are supposed to be full spectrum. (equivelent of 1000 watts - actual draw from the mains 125 watts) They did a good job on the photoperiod clones. My trouble presently; because I didn't train (my inexperience) is I have had to raise my LED light, hung from the top cross bar - my plant is still growing in height, now 126cm coco medium to tip. If she bears fruit I will have to support the stems. I have 'yoyo's' that can help with that. A couple of days on, today I now have feed in at EC 1.4 & Ph 5.9 ~ run-off EC 1.1 & Ph 6.17. I've seen it said that some say not to take any notice of run-off Ph. I take the first 50ml sample & check, and then again with the complete run-off. I presume doing this is showing me there is no salt build up around the roots which would cause nute lock out. With my scope, I think I spy the beginings of very small trichomes forming :-)

Likely not getting enough full spectrum light. Any LED light that claims 1000W but only draws 125W means its a bullshit light IMHO.
    A good reliable grow light will cost several hundred dollars...I just looked yours up on Amazon and saw it sells for $60.

It's a good bet that is the problem. Stretching and poor buds are a sign of insufficient full spectrum light.
    I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

Originally posted by golfnrl View Post
      Your EC is 1.0? What is the EC before you add the nutes? I'm guessing with rain water there are some natural elements? Distilled water shouldn't have any. If you don't take that into account your plants may not be getting enough food. What is the minimum recommended from the manufacturer? Also, you probably remember this from the photo grow but it's hard to over water with coco. Don't be afraid to water twice a day if the plants are asking for it. My experience when a plant gets leggy it's because the light either wasn't the right spectrum with enough power draw or it wasn't/isn't close enough.
      See comment

Comment

Originally posted by dilvish View Post
        Likely not getting enough full spectrum light. Any LED light that claims 1000W but only draws 125W means its a bullshit light IMHO.
        A good reliable grow light will cost several hundred dollars...I just looked yours up on Amazon and saw it sells for $60.

It's a good bet that is the problem. Stretching and poor buds are a sign of insufficient full spectrum light.
        Hi divish - Thanks for your input, I'm sure that is the case - but when you grow as a hobby and just a plant or two, your not in a position to spend several hundred dollars - Right? You have to start somewhere. My electricity bill has gone through the roof this last couple of months; what with running a dehumidifier to boot. The light has good reviews on Amazon from simple growers. I grew two photoperiod clones they were short and healthy they produded 100 grams dry & 30 grams of good trim - for a first grow I thought that was pretty good.. Since the hike in electricity costs, sadly this will be my last grow this winter, I can't afford it.. I will start something off early next spring to keep costs down' maybe plant a couple in the garden.
        Last edited by Heisenbud; 11-11-2022, 05:04 AM.

Comment

I'm on my second auto, a Bubba Kush. It has weak stems compared to the photos I've grow, Somewhat hollow, easy to crush and bend. It's in some Ocean Forest and is about three weeks into flower. Just showing need for nutes. Very spindly, large spacing between nodes, compared to the photos too.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X