Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the right growing medium for terpens, yield, and quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COCO COIR Is this the right growing medium for terpens, yield, and quality?

Hey y'all!

I want to start growing in coco coir for the first time for the increased yield, and I've made quite a bit of research. I'm thinking to purchase the following nutrients for my next grow:

- Canna Coco A+B
    - Canna Cannazym
    - Canna PK 13/14
    - Canna Rhizotonic
    - Canna Calmag
    - Canna Boost

And the growing medium:

- Canna Coco
    - Perlite
    - Organic Warm castings

I want to mix these three on a proportion of 60% coco, 20% perlite, and 20% organic warm castings. But, I want to ask: Is it possible/common to mix coco coir with warm castings? I know that when growing in coco coir most people go 100% coco coir because it has plenty of aeration. But I would like to go a little "over the board" by trying this mix.

My goal is to be as organic as possible for the taste, smell and quality. But I would also like my grow to pack some weight if you feel me. How could I improve? Is this the right approach? Thank you!
    Last edited by piggygrower9969; 10-26-2022, 02:33 PM.

You are still going to be using salt nutrients for a COCO substrate so it wont be 100% organic. Reverse osmosis or Distilled water is recommended if you are using beneficial bacteria, im not sure how well the worm castings will work with coco as i've never tried it like that. I used some "Great White" Beneficial microbe and fungi powder every transplant i did though.

Coco and perlite are great combo as perlite just gives that extra air pocket, with the amount of water that needs to go through the pot every day, extra air pockets are always beneficial. I used to mix my coco, 1 handful of perlite to 3 handfuls of coco. Granted my coco was a brick, i had to hydrate it and wash the salts off.
    Coco will need extra Calcium as the fibre itself absorbs it, if there's not enough it will be leaching it out of the plant, make sure you stay on the safe side with it (minimum dosage, 1/4 of recommended dose) increase only if the plant shows brown spots on oldest leaves.

Don't overdo it on the PK additive, i would recommend you use it only once during peak flower. You don't want to be smoking phosphorus pentoxide. No, you cant flush it effectively in the end unfortunately.

People will recommend you stay on the "underfed" side, and only increase when you see the plant asking for it. Thats a good advice to follow.

Comment

I have done exactly that - grow in coco with hydro nutes and worm castings top-dressed in. It was a revolution. I'd never seen such frost on my homegrown bud before. I eventually moved on to living soil and having my own worm bin for castings and even live worms in the growing media.
      Coconut Grove
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
      32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
      Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X