Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Generic trait rules documentation for marijuana?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generic trait rules documentation for marijuana?

I posted this in a forum for breeders but got no bites, so I'm going to try here. People on this forum are more fun anyway. It's been reading a book about breeding dahlias and they have a genetic trait documentation chart. This such a thing exist for marijuana or do we need to make one? This would describe which traits we think are dominant, which recessive, which express differently under heterozygous pairings vs. Homozygous dominance, etc.?

if one doesn't exist, I'll get us started on some possibilities based on what I've seen in the limited breeding I've done, would love anybody's input on this.
    Photoperiod is dominant to auto flower, and appears to be monogenic. In other words, heterozygous pairings don't seem to speed up flowering.

Size of the plant seems to be multigenic (not sure if that's a word), and heterozygosity results in medium size plants. Same with leaf width.

Color of the leaves appear to be monogenic with green being dominant and purple recessive.

THC vs. CBD production, like size of the plant, also appears to be multigenic with a "watering down" effect possible.

Based on what I've read from breeders, while multiple genes are involved in terpene production, diesel smell seems to be dominant and skunk smell seems to be recessive?

I totally recognize that 1. genetics and phenotypic expression are FAR more complex than this, even Mendel was famously caught by Fisher for fudging his results a bit to make things simpler, but having some basic trait rules could be really really useful when considering crossings and how to pinpoint certain dominant traits or dig recessive traits out, if that's what you're looking for, and 2. The observations above are totally guesses based on my limited breeding and reading.

There has to be some sort of trait rules from more experienced breeders somewhere? If not let's build one?​

as small growers we do not have access to a large number of plants all of the same strain, but when we cross breed and grow those seeds out several seasons we do recognize various traits.. I am in a northern region so my ideal strain would be, cold weather resistance, and early finisher..

Comment

So far in my experience, crossing an auto with a photo has given autos almost exclusively. Now I did make the seed on the auto from pollen made by a photo. Some flower at 3 weeks while others 5 weeks. The early ones finished first in about 100 days (I like amber) and the slow pokes went 130 days. I have another crossing not yet grown, we'll see what pops.

Comment

Originally posted by Rwise View Post
        So far in my experience, crossing an auto with a photo has given autos almost exclusively. Now I did make the seed on the auto from pollen made by a photo. Some flower at 3 weeks while others 5 weeks. The early ones finished first in about 100 days (I like amber) and the slow pokes went 130 days. I have another crossing not yet grown, we'll see what pops.
        Really? That so weird and does not fit with my or others experience. My photo x autos have been 100% photo, which made me think auto was recessive. Curious, did the photo you crossed it with come from mixed parents (one auto, one photo)? Do you remember the varieties that the parents were? Shouldn't matter which plant provided the pollen and which the seed.

Comment

The father was a Bruce Banner 3 with the mother being a Northern Lights x Lemon Skunk. The BB3 is a large heavy plant I dont think it had any rudi in it, the NL/LS of course came from photos.
          I agree it should not mater which parent did which part.

Comment

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh ya, the BB3 was about 8 feet tall while the NL/LS was about 18 inches tall, the offspring males hit 7 feet while the early females hit 4 feet with the longer ones getting 6 feet tall.

Adding to a possible documentation chart, I crossed a red CBD auto with a AK auto and both of two F1 seeds planted from this were as red/purple as the original red, indicating to me that red might be a dominant trait, which seems really really odd because the vast majority of marijuana plants are green budded

Comment

• grouchyoldman
            grouchyoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice idea Franklin, worthy project.

Don't forget to factor in the environmental effects that lock or unlock phenotypic variation. For example Purple may just mean "I got Cold."

As you recognized, genetic variation is complex in ways we likely don't even understand yet.

Cheers,
            -Grouchy

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X