Starting Sea of Green in Coco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Sea of Green in Coco

Hi folks. I am ready to try a sea of green for second time. Intention is for 2 tents with mostly one or 2 gallon (depends on how many pots i find) of plants from seed. Last time (i think 2 year aho?) it worked out Ok with almost 13 oz in 3 by 3 tent using clones. But with 16 plants, it was too crowded with the pots touching. This time I have a bunch of excess seeds that otherwise i will never get to and intend for 9 in the 3 by 3 tent and 8 in the 2 by 4. Basically 1 per sq ft. See photo for current state of seedlings a few days in. I started them in 1/3 coco, worm castings and perlite and intend in next couple of days to put in their final pots in coco/perlite. Based on a friend's suggestion, I will be using Flora Flex nutrients in powder form. 2 part veg, 2 part bloom and have Bulky B along with Full Tilt enhancers. I know it will be a lot of work, but I just retired, recovered from tonsil cancer and have spare time so here we go. My hopes are that the faster ones may be ready for Christmas edible gifts to be ready (optimistic, I know) - but even if not, I can go to freezer for supply. Please feel free to comment any time, but do also understand that this is really a hobby and I like trying stuff even if it doesnt quite work out. Excess stock exists in this home despite supplying some friends so I will not be without, regardless. My intention is to make this a grow diary. 18 seeds started from several sources, 1. Blue Dream, 2. Blackwater, 3. violator from on-line seeds, 4. violator from local breeder, 5 Northern Lights (questionable strain), 6. coco melon, 7. cement shoes, 8. white widow, 9. alien technology, 10. Green Crack, 11. Critical Mass, 12. super lemon haze, 13. Strawberry cough, 14.Gorilla Bomb, 16. Lamb's Bread, 17. Blackberry Durban, 18.BigBud Super Skunk CBD. Have one too many in case...Starting out expecting a lot of shifting around as the different strains grow different rates - a challenge! Yay! Cheers folks.
    Attached Files
    A happy Canuk. this grow will be using Flora Flex nutrients in coco/perlite. 9 plants in 3 by 3 tent and 8 plants in 2 by 4, in 1 or 2 gallon pots (whatevere is there). manual fertigation planned. veg till around 1 ft high. 2 by 4 tent light is Bloom Plus 2500 and 3 by 3 tent has Mar Hydro Ts3000, both of which seem awesome.

Best of luck! I'm subscribed.

Comment

So. we are started and I am stoked. the girls are all now in their 1 gallon pots and on the Veg nutrients. It has been a little tumultuous getting going but onward now. Repair for the basement flood will be done this week so i can get my tent set up in normal place. Till then, one closet and my little veg tent are housing them. A little cool at night but they look fine. Photo is of ones in the tent. should be set up by the coming weekend. AND - still waiting for the Dr Hrinspoon to finish (14.5 weeks is a new record for my patience) to free up her space. Add onto this - we just went through the first hurricane of the year and were without power for almost 2 days - this looks to be a bad season for storms. I think it might be time to bring out a TDS meter, and become a bit more involved. In the past coco grows I really just followed recipes. Cheers till next.
      A happy Canuk. this grow will be using Flora Flex nutrients in coco/perlite. 9 plants in 3 by 3 tent and 8 plants in 2 by 4, in 1 or 2 gallon pots (whatevere is there). manual fertigation planned. veg till around 1 ft high. 2 by 4 tent light is Bloom Plus 2500 and 3 by 3 tent has Mar Hydro Ts3000, both of which seem awesome.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Great medium for starting seeds, i use similar nice fluffy mix easy on the root growth. Looking forward to the grow, stay well Bootsy

Hey Bootsy I've been intrigued about SOG for a while...never have tried it. Like you, I have some extra seeds that I probably won't ever get to. So you started your sprouts seeds directly into the grow medium? Did you have many that didn't sprout? I'm subscribed and hope you have a really great grow.
      Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
      Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
      Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

• Bootsy
        Bootsy commented
        Editing a comment
        my seeds were soaked, put in paper towel and kept warm between two plates inside a large open ziploc bag. similar to what Nebula says. I get almost all germinate using this method. this time lost I think 3, but several were from 2016 so didnt bother me. they were grown till transplant in 1/3 coco, 1/3 worm castings and 1/3 perlite, as suggested by a coco using friend. so far so good.

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Go for it golfnrl you got the skills I've done a crowded 6 plant grow once in a 3x3x62" tent with 3 gal. fabric not as much a SOG as Bootsy's but really makes you keep on top of the tent and it's enviornment. I grew small photo period strain really did alot of training no net though

• golfnrl
        golfnrl commented
        Editing a comment
        Thx SoOrbudgal. I appreciate your confidence. I may try it next grow. Idk though, I've got some Ace seeds that I really want grow...so we'll see.

Is that a good method that you use for the growth of the seeds? It seems effective.

Comment

• Bootsy
        Bootsy commented
        Editing a comment
        It is super effective for me. basically following the latest advice on the GWE website. I used to be satisfied with maybe 4 out of 5 but now feel it is a seed's fault if doesnt sprout. It seems to me that keeping them warmer than expected is the difference. i frorgot to say that they sit on top of a heating mat with thermostat between the plates to keep it at temp. and another thing I now believe is to wait till root is over half inch before putting in the medium. check the article is my suggestion.

So. The Girls were topped 2 days ago and soon to be trained with my plan ideally having 8 single colas to fit in the sq ft per plant. Will mean trimming a lot of healthy smaller branches to give room per cola. The basement repairs are done so i should have the SOG started in their tents this weekend. so far they have spent quite a bit of time in the front window and/or the setup in photo as shown with my little veg tent - so they are stretchier than I would like but height will not be an issue. Intent is to veg till the vertical branches have 6 to 8 inch vertical. Ideally will harvest around Christmas. All look healthy and so far they like the Flora flex nutrients. The tent now with Dr Grinsppon (other post) at 16 weeks flowering will be vacated at max in a week. I will stick Dr G in a closet or pick by then. Cheers till next time. An old seed - Green Crack is interesting and started very poorly, but now going nuts - and it has a three point node so out of curiosity she wont be the one I sacrifice (started extra one.

Comment

Quick update. Girls have all been topped and started training with goal of 8 main colas. Hopefully will get the tent emptied of Dr Grinspoon (who is going in a closet after 17 weeks flowering). see photo for current crowding - it is leading to more stretch i think but i will have lots of head room I think. Unplanned but not unexpected that there are huge differences in braching and height. will be neat to mitigate and I will try not to complain when the real work starts in keeping them level. .

Comment

My next run will probably be a sea of green as I am doing a pheno hunt for a breeding project, I've been thinking about training and trying to decide if I want 4 or 8 colas per plant. Since you only have one square foot of space, like I will, are you concerned that eight colas is too much? That only leaves an square inch and a half per cola. Four colas per plant would give you three square inches per cola, which seems more reasonable to me

Comment

Yup. I am just a little concerned, and could end up trimming some branches later if needed. however, I think you have calculations mixed up. I get 144 sq in /8= 18 sq inches per cola so roughly a 4.2 inch square per cola which seems nice to me. I previously did a grow with 4 colas per 8 inch pot and it worked quite well except pots just barely fit so was annoying. A slight update is that I have just upgraded one tent from a 3 by 3 tent to a 4 by 4 so I will have more space than originally planned.. Its all fun and games in retirement.

Comment

Oh right, you're correct with the calculations!

Comment

• Bootsy
                Bootsy commented
                Editing a comment
                now with the new 4 by 4 tent I have more room so will see when i put em in flower. Ideally will be harvesting over Christmas with out o town friends around. By then the poutdoor harvest should be super sweet.

New 4 by 4 tent is ready and now holds all 18 girls. will have more room than anticipated, maybe a fan can fit. Girls are all trimmed and spread out to try for the 8 main colas. Intend to only have 10 in this tent once the other is free in a couple weeks max.

Comment

• changeofpace2014
                changeofpace2014 commented
                Editing a comment
                a nice start...Close to starting new grow, in new house and new tent...this time it will have to be a flat grow because the new tent is around 39 in x 8 ft x 38 in. I am having temp issues in this short space with two 300 w lights. Temp around 88 degrees, need more air intake.. Nothing growing yet but very close..

It is on!. I have had a little trouble getting the lights ser properly. thankfully have my par meter and I think things are stabilized, so they will be starting 12 12 timing on the lights starting tonight. Onward. It is very neat to see all the different strains and how they respond. a few still are showing light stress but close to good conditions. Definitely looking better under the SF3000 than the Bloo Plus 2500, but it did a great grow last time and i hadnt used it for veg yet so i think it just needs a little more turndown. starting the timing because they are already getting taller and also, I want to be harvesting before or close to Christmas. In the grow are 2 blackwater (seeds from a local guy in 2015), Gorilla Bomb, Northern Lights and Blackberry Durban (from another local guy on Facebook), Green crack (canuk stuff 2015), Alien technology (Prism seeds), from Canuk stuff when they had 2 for 1 sale- (blue dream, white widow, cement shoes, Critical Mass, super lemon haze, coco melon, Blue dream, Strawberry cough, Lamb's Bread and Big Bud Super Skunk CBD)I realize that I am not following common sense in that I have many different strains with significant differences in growth, spped and nutrient needs so no doubt will be a lot of work. I recently retired and golf/fishing are pretty much done so i do have extra time for this hobby now. Photos from this morning in each tent. have been feeding at 75% of nutrient recipe .

Comment

• Bootsy
                Bootsy commented
                Editing a comment
                oops. only one Blue Dream, and I forgot there3 are 2 violators, each from a different local shop. and they are very different.

• changeofpace2014
                changeofpace2014 commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice start...

Switched the lighting to 12 12 on Monday so 4 days since. there are actually a few showing some pistils. I defoliated and have trained quite a bit, but not as religiously as other times (18 are a lot of work, even if tiny. the goal will be to fill both tents with colas - which isnt that far away. Like last time, I expect many times to be cutting very nice stalks to ensure there's enough room for the good ones and stopping them from spreading out. in general The girls in the big tent under the SF3000 seem to be doing better than the ones in the other tent under the Bloom Plus 2500. I am not sure how I will pick the tent they are in, but likely will put the shorter ones in the 2 by 4 and see what develops. So far liking the nutrients - which take the ph to 5.8, so no adjustment required so far at now 80% of recipe.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL might have to shift them around abit more that tent is crowded. Got alot of plants there Bootsy but you can do it from what we've seen in the past.

• Ckbrew
                Ckbrew commented
                Editing a comment
                That is going to be one dense forest, grow on.

9 days with 12 12 lighting. I just did another major defoliation and limb removal yesterday along with a little more limb spacing. Must keep em within the 1 ft footprint to have colas with enough space to have nice tight buds. Most all have pistils now and a couple are even into budlets. They will be placed in their final spots in the tents in a week or so when i really know how much each are stretching - as i will try to group em together. Huge difference in phenotypes is very cool. only one true runt is a violator from a local facebook guy but still will be cool. Now that the girls are into flowering I am gradually turning up the lights to the intensity I want. eventually aiming for par of 750+, and at last few weeks of flowering even higher. Both lights are very intense and are not expected to get to 100%. Cheers till next time

Comment

Update at 15 days from 12 12. They are all bigger and more advanced. Every day i remove some hidden branches, more leaves and do some adjustments to space the hopeful colas. they will soon be perfect . I still havent decided on the final placement, but expect that it will be done to make em fit in the tent and to adjust light sensitivity. Good thing for the 4 by 4 tent as there is more space than first expected, even fitting my spare - which is now a pretty little runt Violator. Several are showing a little light stress and most have a bit a bit of what looks like cal-mag deficiency. I think the lighting is due to me increasing the levels and I will get that equalized soon. with so many strains, the canopy wont be even, since some like more intensity and will be closer. the cal-mag I am deciding what to do, since the nutrients say with them you don't need. because of this I didnt buffer the coir- duh!. For now I am still gonna trust that the nutrients will come through and eventually up the content overall to what's needed. I do runoff only every second day, watering every day from now on as a rule. I think they look lovely, but do now remember that these little plants (bigger this time) take almost as much work as full size except at harvest. Nice busy work for me though. beats working. Christmas will be around 9 weeks from 12 12 so there will be a great display for some envious visitors, I hope. Maybe even a bunch ready to go by then. Damn but they grow fast in coco! If I knew I had the 4 by 4 I would have done full size plants in the 2 by 4. The photos are 24 hours after some leaf removal. Be well folks.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X