Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the heck is this?

Hello Everyone,

Firstly, thank you for accepting my registration. I had not planned for this to be my first post and I beg forgiveness if this is a repeated topic. I couldn't find anything like this.

I thought I had spider mites. Have had them in the past and managed them successfully. But now I don't think it is. I've a 60-120x scope and I don't see a living, moving animal anywhere. All I see are white spots that are so microscopic I can't get a photo. The yellow is only on one leaf. This is the best I could do. I was going to spray them with homemade insecticidal soap using the same formula used on the spider mites. But these aren't spider mites. I thought I saw spider mite eggs. But they're not. They're mostly white or transparent, almost like baby trichomes.

I do have a few fungus gnats and have yellow sticky stuff for them. Very few however and the plants are growing vigorously. One last issue was they suffered heat stroke at 3 weeks of age before they came indoors. To my amazement, they very slowly revived and after almost a month, they're flourishing. I've done my first manifold and am ready to put it into flower but this photo is of that plant and I'm not sure what to do now. I need to sort this out first.

I've been growing since 1981. I've had thrips, spider mites and fungus gnats in the past and dealt with them successfully. I've never been stopped in my tracks.

Kind comments, suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    OTR

The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow

It looks like the damage which is caused by spider mites. I had the pest masters this year. The spots looked the same.

Strange that you can not detect anything. Keep your eyes open! I keep both fingers crossed for you.

This year has been great for spider mites. I think outdoor the fewest were spared.

You could wet them with a fine mist of water morning and night.

Spider mites love that, as well as proper air circulation.

In addition, you can then more easily detect their fine webs. If any are present.

I think I have read that some representatives do not spin webs.​

Comment

Thank you MouseBeaver. Much appreciated. I think I'll proceed with insecticidal soap. It's not likely to hurt them and if you think it's spider mites, it can only do good. Will post again. OTR

Comment

Looks to me like it might be thrips. They can be really, really small and hard to see. Insecticidal soap will work on them too

Comment

Bingo Franklin!! Just 20 minutes ago, I finally spotted an animal and I found a stock photo online. Definitely a thrip larvae. Fortunately, I've seen no adutls. Yet. Back in the 90's I had a couple of thrip infestations and I could see them flying around! Still, that doesn't mean I don't also have spider mites and happily, they are both killed by insecticidal soap. Thanks for your input Franklin. Between you and MouseBeaver, I've regained my confidence and will now make up a fresh batch of 2% insect-soap and give them a nice, cleansing bath.

Comment

• MouseBeaver
            MouseBeaver commented
            Editing a comment
            My gut first told me thrips, as Franklin suspected. A little bit of shimmer caught my eye.

Anyway, the spots look an awful lot like my spider mite bites, so that's what I suspected.

I've had to deal with thrips on and off.
            My favorite "pest." Very easy to combat.

Besides the finger method (very effective),
            a layer of sand has proven helpful.

Just before the edge of the pot, I put a layer of sand about 0.3cm thick, over it a few more cm of soil.

Helps against any "pest" that needs to retreat into the soil for development. I think coconut would have the same effect.

Will be fine! A good photo, just by the way.

I find the macrocosm very exciting.

• KLAX
            KLAX commented
            Editing a comment
            Really a great photo, OTR! I wish I could take pictures as lovely as that one!

Thank you KLAX. I cannot tell a lie... I cut down the cherry tree. It's a screenshot from the internet search. Apologies to you and to MouseBeaver.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X