What are you using for timed lighting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you using for timed lighting?

I looking up what i can use for the lights. Currently im looking at the link below. I have extra smart outlets but im scared if the wifi is down it will stop working. I noticed the non digital versions (turn dial ones) are cheaper but if power goes out does it reset everything?

I switched to digital ones vs mechanical as resetting the time was becoming a PITA. The digital ones have internal batteries and will maintain the program and states when the power comes back on. Here is what I use on the tents main feed.

BN-LINK 7 Day Heavy Duty Digital Programmable Timer, FD60 U6 https://www.amazon.com/Century-Digit...pd_rd_wg=ccsyq

But internally in the tent I use the smaller ones that are simpler to program if there is a need.

Comment

• ponzi314
      ponzi314 commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome, this is basically same as what i was looking at. Thank you.

• 3Berries
      3Berries commented
      Editing a comment
      The first one is a three wire grounded one the second smaller one is just a two wire one. I use the smaller inside the tent on the light circuit that goes dead when lights are out. It comes back on when the lights come back on. Doesn't miss a beat.

I just use the mechanical ones. They stay set either 1212 or 186 I just change the timer not setting.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GroBuddy; 08-30-2022, 10:53 AM.

Comment

• ponzi314
      ponzi314 commented
      Editing a comment
      im not sure how those work, what if power goes out. We sometimes get a short power outage and would hate for it to go crazy

So what happens with anything electrical when you get a power outage ponzi314 ? I use a surge protector for all my stuff just so nothing gets fried. I frequently get outages it's just how it goes you deal with it, don't freak out about it. Depends how long power is off but it's part of the grow for many many folks. I've lost power for 7 days during a snow storm and just the other day power was out for couple hours do to heat. I have backup generaters also for the really bad storms that last for days. I use the same timers as the above does, i just have them on the powerstrip with the lights. Easy peasey
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• ponzi314
      ponzi314 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea i feel that i just know that some of the digital ones have a small battery to remember the settings. I wasnt sure if maybe the mechanical ones have same? Like if it was half way through a 12 hour lights on cycle. If power goes out for 1 hour. when it comes back will it still have 6 hours left or 5 hours? I wasnt to worried about what happens i just wanted to actually understand the difference.

Imo even if lights go out you dont want to extend light hrs that day power goes out. I'll keep my schedule the same regardless. Outdoors will have over cast or rainy days that plants dont receive alot of light no worries. Personal preference to keep things even where as light isnt extended constantly past light cycle.

Comment

The mechanical ones if the power goes out an then comes back on will complete the timed cycle. The digital ones will cut short at the normal time.

Personally I find the mechanical ones if you have more than one are a pain with all the accumulation of power outage throw the start time back each time.

So what is more important, correct start/stop times or a complete cycle but inaccurate actual time?

Comment

• ponzi314
        ponzi314 commented
        Editing a comment
        Im thinking Digital based on what GroBuddy said. Because he was right, normal days will have over cast and what not so power going out but coming back and keeping set time would be nice, never have to touch it after its set

Thank you all for explaining!

Comment

I too use digital when inside, I had to many problems with those rotating manual time thingies. IDK how long the digital timer will run off the battery, I just plugged 1 in that had not seen power in over a year, still had perfect time. The cost is not that much more, go digital!

Comment

• 90Gizmo
          90Gizmo commented
          Editing a comment
          I used the digital timers on my aquarium; got about 2 years out of a battery.

I've use smart outlets controlled by Alexa for one grow. No problems (yet) with connectivity.
        Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
        Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
        Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

• ponzi314
          ponzi314 commented
          Editing a comment
          So i was thinking that too since i actually have some but my wifi in this house is awful so not sure id trust it

• 90Gizmo
          90Gizmo commented
          Editing a comment
          I assume you mean your ISP is awful and not your own equipment. I'm pretty sure that there are home automation servers you can run at home. But I haven't found one that has great voice support and that's a must for me.

• ponzi314
          ponzi314 commented
          Editing a comment
          True, i do have a raspberry pi just sitting behind me lol could be a fun project

The plants don't give a shit if the lights go off during lights on cycle,its lights coming on during their dark/sleep cycle that pisses em off.

Comment

Here's my set up. First is a surge suppressor, then a power meter, then a three way power tap, then the timer. Inside the tent are two power strips, one on 24/7 the other on the timer for lights. In the winter I use another digital timer on the timered strip to run a heater for the first 15 minutes of lights on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	veg tent power setup.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	515.4 KB
ID:	575097

Comment

• ponzi314
            ponzi314 commented
            Editing a comment
            thats some piggy backing lol

• 3Berries
            3Berries commented
            Editing a comment
            Someone should make a tent power box with all that in it.....

I use niwas in my 4x4 tents for lights, fan and heater. The other two are on digital timers similar to what 3Berries posted above.
          Coconut Grove
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
          32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
          Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

Wow ya'll make me feel like a slacker. Hell I can't even figure out how to run a smarty phone. I guess I'm just an analog kinda guy stuck in a digital world. My light timer cost 3$ 10 years ago, everything else air filter,fans I just plug inna wall. Power failure? meh, it'll come back on. Kiss theory and if it ain't broke don't worry about it seems to work for me.

Comment

• ponzi314
              ponzi314 commented
              Editing a comment
              Overthinker? yes, but just 3 months ago i thought growing weed was some magical process. It also doesnt help that im a computer engineer so over thinking things is just in my genes at this point. I want to have the best chance of being successful in this so i dont waste time and money. I will also say, id never run to an admin for people sharing their opinions. Im open to all ideas that people take the time to share, its only way we can all learn.

• PRIMO
              PRIMO commented
              Editing a comment
              You were right ponzi314. Growing your own weed is a kinda magical process.

• ponzi314
              ponzi314 commented
              Editing a comment
              Well i plan to be come harry potter lol

I lost a box fan and a GFCI outlet from lightning the other day. Not on the tent power though.

Comment

Another advantage of the digital timers is you can set them to the exact minute. No more clicking the dial hoping to get close with your 15 minute increments, (if you are lucky).

Comment

• ponzi314
                ponzi314 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea I think im settled on the digital. We live in a digital world now after all

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X