Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UV-C Light to disinfect? Anybody use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UV-C Light to disinfect? Anybody use it?

Hi All! Acquired a UV-C Germicidal light supposedly to kill nasty bacteria/mold etc. Wondering if anyone out there has used this type of light and did it affect their secret "herbs & spices" in a negative fashion? This type of light is purported to kill mold so I wondered if using it somewhere in the drying/curing process (like before putting it in jars) might not assure that no evil mold would appear. Plants are already "dead" so it won't affect growing/flowering.
    Appreciate any insight you might have to pass on. Thanks.
    Light sold on Amazon as: UVC Light UV Germicidal Lamp with Ozone UV Room Sanitizer

My two cents. It will kill the mould and eliminate odours. I assume you mean sanitizing your area, not to get rid of mould in your weed, for which yes - its still there and very bad.
    this unit it is bascially an oxidizer, so will eliminate odours and sanitize by eating organics compounds - such as biologicals (plants and animals included).
    i believe it is bad for the growing plants , and also while drying/ curing, since oxidizing is something we want to avoid. I do use a similar unti to sanitize and deodorize my basement once in awhile - lasts for many days after, but have avoided it around the grows. cheers
    A happy Canuk. this grow will be using Flora Flex nutrients in coco/perlite. 9 plants in 3 by 3 tent and 8 plants in 2 by 4, in 1 or 2 gallon pots (whatevere is there). manual fertigation planned. veg till around 1 ft high. 2 by 4 tent light is Bloom Plus 2500 and 3 by 3 tent has Mar Hydro Ts3000, both of which seem awesome.

Comment

--Not sure if this was posted earlier.... anyways,

I use a UV light to sanitize my grow room in between each planting. Run it for 15 minutes then crank up the T-8 fan for half an hour to clear out the ozone. It seems able to even kill the spiders! Haven't had a bug problem since I started using it along with being way more careful about what goes into the room.

​​​​​​​​

​​

​ ​
      My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
      I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
      Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

I use this for sanitizing the tent and equipment:

https://www.amazon.com/Germicidal-Sa...%2C147&sr=8-14

Make sure you don't look at the light or breath the ozone it produces. Then wipe down tent with iso-propyl alcohol, let dry, then repeat the light treatment.​
        Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

I made an air handler in my basement with a UVC light in it to try to combat mold. I didn't notice results. I presume that the air didn't stay in the UVC long enough to get sterilized... but the mold has to come from somewhere and I think preventative methods will work best.
          Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
          Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
          Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X