No announcement yet.

Is 5 Gal pot too big for a 2x2x4 grow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Is 5 Gal pot too big for a 2x2x4 grow?

Sorry to spam forum with ton of threads. So many questions keep coming to mind as I keep reading.

Im planning a 2x2x4 1 pot grow. I was going to try a super soil grow using the Nature’s Living Soil Super Soil Concentrate and fill rest with some other soil, hopefully something cheaper . Ive been reading that 5Gal is recommended for the nutes to last the life of grow. Is this pot too big for my grow space? Only thing in the tent will be the light. I put exhaust on outside to allow more height. I plan to do 2 auto grows back to back first.

I use 3.5 gal pots. And find they fill it up at the end with roots but I would not say root bound. Still plenty of space between the roots. It's as big around as the 5 gallon but only 9" tall vs 14" for the 5 gal.

Comment

That wouldnt be too big for 1 plant in that space. May need to pull it over and down lst to keep it away from light since you're working with 4ft of height. 3.5 gallon would also suffice.

Comment

Thanks guys, ill look for 3.5, Ill just have to adjust the ratios a little when mixing the soils

Comment

Here is a 5 gallon rectangular one that is only 10" tall. At Walmart. com

Wooster Wide Boy Bucket, 5 Gallon
          14 inch L x 24 inch W x 10 D

Click image for larger version  Name:	91b18948-8855-4923-8c1b-9b87ecb2bc99_1.6e229b467af5cbbfacd366ffcc88232c.jpeg?odnHeight=612&odnWidth=612&odnBg=FFFFFF.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.2 KB ID:	574626
          Last edited by 3Berries; 08-24-2022, 06:37 PM.

Comment

3 gal fabric fine for 1 auto
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I was having a conversation with my brother on whether 5 gal pots were big enough. I didn't take the tent size into it but plant size. I put the living hot soil on the bottom third and finished off with FFOF. You have nothing to lose using a 5 gal but run a risk to the roots going small. I have a tall tent to keep my options open but as mentioned I think you pretty much have to grow autos so your plant doesn't grow too tall.
              Last edited by Satyaban; 08-24-2022, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• ponzi314
                ponzi314 commented
                Editing a comment
                i actually just ordered a bigger tent, im going to return my other one.Ordered a 32"x32"x63 so i can get more height and maybe even put exhaust inside now

I have a 32x32x60. I can grow 5 plants in three gallon buckets or 4 plants in 5 gallon. No room for the exhaust inside. Mine is on top of the tent. Even so 60 inches is pretty low. 12" for the pot, 30 inches for the plant. That only allows 18 inches to the top of the tent to hang your light.
              Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
              5 gallon cloth pots
              30"x30"x60" tent
              Spider Farmer SE3000
              Coco Pearlite mix
              GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

• 3Berries
                3Berries commented
                Editing a comment
                I have that size for my veg tent. I will run 4 plants maybe but not all the same size. Currently got an auto about done and two 5 week in veg.

But I find it too short unless autos. I also have a 2x4x6 ft closet tent and it is barely tall enough. Currently have the light all the way to the top and the plants are getting close, 18". Still have about a month to go. I can get another 4" out of the setup though as they are sitting on flat water jugs about 4" high. 'twas an experiment and will be used in winter.

• GroBuddy
                GroBuddy commented
                Editing a comment
                When I used to use the 3x3 for flower, I'd run 4 photoperiods in 5 gallon pots. They fill the tent and nearly grow out of it. Trained and trellised or scrog I'd pull 3 quarters of a pound with a florescent and 2 cheap blurples. Fully confident with a good light one would be able to pull a pound like that out of a 3x3. Every 5 autos you grow indoors you'll lose about a pound vs growing those same photos. Good luck bud

• ponzi314
                ponzi314 commented
                Editing a comment
                i think the most ill try is 2 plants at a time. Im interested in trying Low stress techniques ive been seeing online. I want to try the one where you bend to side and multiple colas grow that way i guess. I might try for my second auto. First grow indoor i want to stick to basics and just let her flourish. Maybe defoil al ittle but thats it

I now have 5 plants in my 4X4X8, having removed the smallest two. I gave one away and moved the other out side. The outside pot is not in the ground just outside. My intention is to bring it in at night, to avoid theft because it would be stolen in this urban area. My tent is almost filled from front to back and side to side and at this point I am pleased. ponzi314 I would definitely go with 2 autos, they should grow much wider than tall and will train easily for horizontal growth and bud production. Using hot soil on the bottom will feed your plants while I learn about training and proper watering. Perhaps I will vary techniques in my next grow concerning feeding nutes. Does 32" coincide with a convenient metric number?

Comment

Originally posted by Satyaban View Post
                I now have 5 plants in my 4X4X8, having removed the smallest two. I gave one away and moved the other out side. The outside pot is not in the ground just outside. My intention is to bring it in at night, to avoid theft because it would be stolen in this urban area. My tent is almost filled from front to back and side to side and at this point I am pleased. ponzi314 I would definitely go with 2 autos, they should grow much wider than tall and will train easily for horizontal growth and bud production. Using hot soil on the bottom will feed your plants while I learn about training and proper watering. Perhaps I will vary techniques in my next grow concerning feeding nutes. Does 32" coincide with a convenient metric number?
                im excited, i really hope i can fit the exhaust/filter in the tent with the extra size. Right now my tent is too small and it wont actually fit width wise. I think if i grew 2 at a time id have WAYYYY more weed than id know what to do with lol...doesnt mean i wont try at some point

Comment

• Satyaban
                  Satyaban commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't have the exhaust filter in my tent, is there an advantage to it? My fan is outside the tent with the filter in a room under my front porch. Growing multiple plants gives the opportunity to try different things. I am not out for high production either, I do want to grow good weed with the intent growing the best quality I can treating them well, trimming, and proper drying and what I am learning to be important to a good smoke is curing.

• ponzi314
                  ponzi314 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ill have to see that my space is like with bigger tent, comes monday. Setting it up in my parents workout area so not trying to take up too much space lol

In reply: I have grown both photos and autos in my 32x'
                32x6.. My current grow was actually 5 plants using 4 five gallon sacks and one three in the middle. Yeah, it's tight but kind of like a tall 'Sea of Green'. Plant training is a must and you have to be very aggressive about it, also with defoliation. All of the tent is filled with plant taking advantage of all of the available light. I have two double COB LED's that allegedly provide 500 watts of light, according to their spec's. Two regular and two blurple. I have been working on yield, which has been increasing with every grow. I usually grow two or three strains per grow. You cannot put an exhaust and carbon filter inside of a tent this size unless you intend to grow very small plants. You can put a small exhaust into one of the side ports of the tent and strap it in tightly but if you want a filter, it has to be outside the tent.

Careful seed selection is a must. I only grow plants that are small to medium in height. I usually end up with plants that are 24 to 28 inches tall.
                Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
                5 gallon cloth pots
                30"x30"x60" tent
                Spider Farmer SE3000
                Coco Pearlite mix
                GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

• ponzi314
                  ponzi314 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So happy to hear this bigger tent gives me more options. After these free seeds im going to buy good seeds. Ive heard good things about Mephisto, Night Owl and Ethos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fuck I'm high.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	574695Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0419.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	574694Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0454 (1).JPG
Views:	330
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	574693Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0451.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	574692 Here is my venting system: Well, the blower is on the floor outside the tent, take my word for it. The end of the line is in a room under my front porch, so odor shouldn't be a problem. The tent is a Budgrow and I am very satisfied with it as it is very sturdy and as you can see there is not much room above

Comment

• ponzi314
                  ponzi314 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  that looks like a nice setup, so tall lol

Pay attention when you purchase the seed as to just how big the girls will get. Not all autos are created equal, while some only get 18" tall another will get 48" tall (some can get taller, my WTBs get 60+" tall for females while the male is over 6 feet), so get what fits in you grow. Next is how long it takes to finish, I have grown autos that finished in just over 60 days (56 days claimed) and others that take 130+ days (120 days claimed) (of course they were the larger girls)
                Also one can run photo period plants with less cost for power, less cost for heat control, just flip to 12/12s at 3-5 weeks old (or if you have room let them get a bit larger, dont forget the stretch) you will need to control them by topping/training etc..
                Inside you do need to remove leaf for both air flow and light penetration.
                Happy growing!

Comment

Originally posted by Rwise View Post
                  Pay attention when you purchase the seed as to just how big the girls will get. Not all autos are created equal, while some only get 18" tall another will get 48" tall (some can get taller, my WTBs get 60+" tall for females while the male is over 6 feet), so get what fits in you grow. Next is how long it takes to finish, I have grown autos that finished in just over 60 days (56 days claimed) and others that take 130+ days (120 days claimed) (of course they were the larger girls)
                  Also one can run photo period plants with less cost for power, less cost for heat control, just flip to 12/12s at 3-5 weeks old (or if you have room let them get a bit larger, dont forget the stretch) you will need to control them by topping/training etc..
                  Inside you do need to remove leaf for both air flow and light penetration.
                  Happy growing!
                  So Photos you really have full control. why do they say Autos are faster? It seems to me you can make a really fast photo

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                    SoOrbudgal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Why do people over think sooo much? What are you asking an looking for Satyaban

• Satyaban
                    Satyaban commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ponzi314 I was trying to explain to you what and why for autos in my previous comment here.

• Rwise
                    Rwise commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ponzi314 Yes, with photos you have the control to put them into flower, bring them back out of flower, clone them. Ok you can clone an auto but it is still the same age as its mother, and that cannot be changed. Look for a thread about solo cups, a photo was done in the same time as autos.

My pots are bit larger than 5 gallon, heres a pic.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X