First Time Grower Advice and Growing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Grower Advice and Growing

Alright, so I am a first time grower. This is my plant Artemis. (Yes, I named her, to pretty not to.) Anyways she and my other plants have gotten purple stems and are starting to wilt a bit.
    So they are in clay majority soil (outside growing) and I remember reading they can get vitamin deficiencies? What do I do?

Also The temp dropped from 90 to 100 degrees daily to overnight dropping to 70 daily and will most likely stay that way. So my question is when will the start to bloom? What do I do when they bloom? How do i dry it? and so on. Any advice would be great.

Plan on growing next year too, so any advice for my next grow?

I do have Miracle Grow mix. 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water.

Get a closer pic of new growth at that distance looks like pistils or bud development.

Could defoliate some of those fans covering bud sites. Or atleast tuck.

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I would not recommend outside defol.

• GroBuddy
      GroBuddy commented
      Editing a comment
      You dont want buds covered they dont miss a few leaves. I didn't suggest stripping or lollipoping. I do that to every outdoor plant I grow. Not every one but the few big ones covering a bud site, that generally have some bug damage anyways. Since decaying organic matter draws pests better to get those. Appreciate the tip

If all your leaves on all your plants make it from seed to harvest you a bad mofo lol
      Last edited by GroBuddy; 08-23-2022, 04:38 AM.

I grow in the desert could be 120° during the day and 70° at night. I'll also grow down to 36°. Once they start flowering they'll stretch, applying nitrogen to aid in quick plant growth helps or splitting veg/flower nutrients whereas you're covering both. The stretch and the transition. Once that stretch is over stop veg nutrients for flowering nutrients. Veg is higher in nitrogen flower higher in phosphorus and potassium. When plants start budding they'll shoot white pistils ( females ) when plants start maturing those white pistils will change color, become darker in color generally red, brown, orange. Once the majority of pistils have darkened, pistils will start to curl. Almost there shortly after this time generally within several weeks buds will swell, and those pistils will recede into buds. plant will be mature, ready for harvest.

Drying depends more so your environment, you want to achieve a 10-14 day dry imo less up to 7 is okay anything less than that is too fast imo. Dialing in the perfect dry could take a couple to several attempts. Easiest way is in a sealed environment like a tent, where you have complete control over drying environment. Some like the 777 method 70° 70% humidity for 7 days. Imo drying conditions should be cooler to help slow down degradation. But that method will work fine.

Once dried, buds feel dry stems snap but dont break it's time to cure. any air tight container with a hygrometer. If dried properly shouldnt need a humidity pack for a week maybe up to a few weeks. Also depends on container size and amount of bud. Once hygrometer reads 62% or less is when I add a humidity pack since that's the % of humidity packs used. A month like that you're good to go, 3 months even better. If hygrometer reads like 70% or above dump buds out and let dry for about 15 minutes. If hygrometer reads between like 67-69 just pop the top for about 15 minutes or exchange jars whereas buds that were on bottom are now on top. If humidity is between 63% and 67% personally I'll leave it sealed. If dried properly humidity should be below 67% but above 62% maybe a tad below 62% if over dried and hygrometer reads below 62% add humidity pack immediately. Depending on jar size and humidity pack size possibly 2 humidity packs would be needed. Depending on how over dried buds are. Hoped that helps good luck bud. Plant looks excellent for your first attempt, pictures of issue would help by those pics provided can't say theres anything wrong

Purple stems can be normal
    Whilting could be slightly underwatered In heat. Pictures would explain a bit more
    Last edited by GroBuddy; 08-23-2022, 01:35 AM.

Comment

• DubthaWs
      DubthaWs commented
      Editing a comment
      I appreciate the advice, but say someone is on a budget and cant afford a proper setup. What do I do about drying then? My friend said get a shelf in my closet and paper bags. Bag em, roll it up, then let it dry for like 10 days? Also considering my plants are outside. What do I do about insects? escpacially now that shes about to start maturing. And the stems right before the leaves have turned dark purple?

• GroBuddy
      GroBuddy commented
      Editing a comment
      You can use any area to dry, the sealed environment is easiest. Closet, spare bathroom etc. Before I used a tent I did all that plus some drying racks I didn't care for those as it squished the bud.... but they worked. Just need to keep the environment proper. I can get you some information if you want from another forum dudes been growing for like 30 years and dries in paper bags and plastic trash cans outside.

For bugs it's best to be as preventative in veg as possible. Once buds form you dont want to spray those with something that could be harmful when smoked. Personally for my outdoor autos I just use doctor Bonner's peppermint soap. Mix that at 1 to 2tbls a gallon of water. Soak the entire plant every 3 days or so. Any pesticide will work just dont soak them down during peak daytime may burn, early morning or evening is best. For caterpillars use BT (Bonide Thuricide) if you have moths at porch light you'll probably have caterpillars. I dont usually in the desert just seen 1 in about 5 years lol. Count my blessings. Not every plant turns purple genetics.

Sorry you can also use neem oil for pests never spray buds with neem oil. But neem oil will kill almost any pest that could be on plant. Thirps-spider mites
      Last edited by GroBuddy; 08-23-2022, 02:08 AM.

• DubthaWs
      DubthaWs commented
      Editing a comment
      You good sir. Know what you are talking about. I know this will sound crazy. But i love on my plants daily. I brush them all day and night. I noticed the more i love on them the less bugs there are. I also prune everyday any bad spots. When im away for a bit. i come back theres always bugs. Also at night my plants are wilting at night and standing up in daytime. they are also getting purple stems right before and end. Ive heard purple stems are never a good thing?

Hey Dub, start with some reading on GWE: https://www.growweedeasy.com/ All of your questions will find answers there, based on your growing conditions.

I'll tell you this: Miracle Gro is a no no for cannabis: too hot and not right for these plants. https://www.growweedeasy.com/miracle...wing-marijuana
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Purple maybe colder weather making them turn color. Take it 1 day at a time with your plants and read up on your plant stages. Good Luck 19th hole
      1 Marshydro tsl 2000 @ 300 watt.
      1 sf2000 @200 watts
      2 philzon @230 watts
      2x4x5 tent
      3x6x8 closet
      Fox Farm ocean forest
      Black gold for seedling
      3 gal pot holes in sides and bottom
      RH 40-60
      Temp 70-80
      Feeding with FF trio with molasses
      calmag and a little flower fuel
      Light at 10 -16 inches above canopy

Finished growing: Durban poison x Atomic Shiva, Dark Matter x Atomic Shiva, Golden Goat x Atomic Shiva and Summit Sweet Skunk x Atomic Shiva

Next up: Apple Fritter 2x, ATF, Og Kush.

Comment

• DubthaWs
        DubthaWs commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah we did drop from 100s to 70s overnight. i remembering considering that they might temp shock. My big plant Artemis has second stage. like she got her hairs, and now these just starting to bloom?? i think. ill get a pic tomorrow. kinda looks silky bushy.

My bad baking soda at a tablespoon a gallon of water for powdery white mildew, you can do 2 tablespoons that wont hurt plant but will leave a white residue. It rains good you may run into that. Also dont forget about bud washing you'll want to do that with all outdoor grows
      Last edited by GroBuddy; 08-23-2022, 04:54 AM.

Comment

I use Miracle Grow. Two different types. Just got to know how much to use. But it is a very well balanced fertilizer only lacking in Ca and Mg. Great for foliar feeding too.

Growing inside the soil you use will be the biggest factor you need to decide first. Some need a lot of nutes, some don't.

Comment

• GroBuddy
          GroBuddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Good deal that's what I was going to add. Plenty of experienced growers use MG soil and nutrients, just need to understand plants need and ratios. I'll never
          recommended MG to beginners for that reason. To say it's no good for cannabis is a bit far. I've never used the soil but have used the nutrients that attach to water hose. Bought for tomatoes wound up using it on cannabis as well.
          Last edited by GroBuddy; 08-23-2022, 11:53 AM.

Guess I should wait to see how this photoperiod turns out before I say I take a few leaves off all my outdoor plants. Normally I only grow autos outdoors. The way this photo grew with 20 tops short bush vs 8 tops off the same size plants. She grew her indica trait. Was messing up canopy, and was too short and busy for canopy, and a tight tent. Its like 3rd- 16 nodes were fading due to inadequate light she was so bushy ( pure guess all the inside was fading ). Only way she could have stayed in to be productive I'd had to of removed many mains. so I moved it outdoors to train wide and open it up. If op had a tree like TD, Humboldt, mendo farms would be one thing. We have little bushes no pun intended. Took several off this one just because my dog had a upset stomach and weed leaves help. Doubtful yield will be effected, to be seen compared to the other 4. Generally you only want to defol indoors, training methods are better used under a stationary light, the sun moving generally hits every angle. However my indoor vs outdoor defol is night and day difference. Indoors gets alot more tucking and leaf removal.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by GroBuddy; 08-23-2022, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Autos I defol, not alot. But vs having a bud covered delaying readiness compared to a uncovered bud imo that leaf or 6 can go allowing every bud to finish equally just like indoors. A huge tree with all that growth leaves matter, little bushes not so much imo to a certain extent anyways
          Attached Files
          Last edited by GroBuddy; 08-23-2022, 11:11 AM.

Comment

I would find myself some bloom nutes and get off that MG it's not good during flowering OK maybe for growth but you need more PK during bloom.
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Miracle Grow Flower anylysis.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	574499Click image for larger version

Name:	Miracle GrowVeg anylysis.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	574500

Comment

Here's another nute mix I use. MaasterBlend. Haven't used it much. You add CAN and Epsom salt separately. Looks like a good one for flowering as you can leave the N out or adjust it with the CAN.

Name:	81KUDun6WUL._AC_SL1486_.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	574562

Comment

So update. white/yellow spots on leaves. all of them.
                  I think my adopted plant is a male and is Nomanae
                  And the hairs one is Artemis.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                    SoOrbudgal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes that's a male in 4th pic

Name:	Screenshot_20220824-134608_Chrome.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	574602 this look burnt from spraying

Name:	Screenshot_20220824-134618_Chrome.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	574601 this looks hungry

Definitely a male remove asap

Comment

• DubthaWs
                    DubthaWs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ahh i think i accidently put 2tbs of mg per gallon last week. but does that explain the purple stems?

this is the wilting they do at night

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X