Planning out my first indoor grow. Looking for Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Planning out my first indoor grow. Looking for Advice

Im trying to get a jump start on planning my first grow indoor. I wont be starting for probably a month but i dont want to make mistake so trying to plan it out now.

My current setup:
    Spider Farmer SF-1000
    CoolCrows 2’x2’x4′ grow tent
    4″ AC Infinity CLOUDLINE
    VIVOSUN 4 Inch Air Carbon Filter

Now i was reading through the guides on this website and seems im between Hydro and Soil. Ive had an Areogarden so thats as far as my Hydro experience goes .

Is soil the easier/most suggested? Should i just settle with some Fox Farms Soil and add my own nutes?

Should i mix my own super soil? Nature’s Living Soil. Is it true you just mix this with regular soil and after that all you have to do is water the plants? I says 1 pound per 5 Pounds. Is it ok to make this mix if i plan to use a smaller pot (2/3 Gallon pot)

For the Hydro, is there a good guide on a 1 Plant setup or is it a do your own research type of thing.

Biggest thing that worries me is the Nutes/PH levels. Ive never monitored thinks like that.

Nice setup for getting started. It's for small grow plants with space limits. Like for maybe 2 autos or 1 photo if trained really low. I make my own soil but will use FF if i find a bag discount and amend it with my blends. If your familiar with hydro for sure i'd go that route with one plant and LST, manifold a photo. Good luck
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• ponzi314
      ponzi314 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking just stick to 1 plant. I want to give it enough room to grow. Also im only growing for personal use. If i do 2 plants it might be too much lol i probably smoke 3.5G every 2 months

That would last you over 2 months, must be nice lol, good luck and enjoy your journey bubba.
    Attached Files

Comment

• GroBuddy
      GroBuddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, atleast if you get the 25 variety pack you'll never have to get anymore. Winner winner chicken dinner

• Satyaban
      Satyaban commented
      Editing a comment
      That's the ugliest fucking bud I have ever seen. Of course I am joking, it looks beautiful. With my disability I can't roll joints anymore.

• GroBuddy
      GroBuddy commented
      Editing a comment
      That sucks, I hate to hear that. Look into automated cone fillers. Just add cone, bud it grinds and fills cone for you.

It doesn’t matter which you choose as long as you follow your heart. My expierance with “just add water” set ups is it doesn’t mean no difficulties growing. I tried a couple of commercially available options (avoid “Kind” soil at all costs) without success. Mixing nutes and adjusting pH will be second nature in a week. Just remember to start nutes out at 1/2 strength and watch plant. Read and reread everything and anything regarding whatever style of growing that you choose. Take a breath, relax , drop a bean
    “Rather laugh with sinners than cry with saints” Billy Joel Only the good die young
    ”I think I can, I think I can…”the little engine that could

Comment

• ponzi314
      ponzi314 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks man, Ill have the weigh the cost of the super soil vs regular soil/nutes. You might be right maybe once i do the nutes/ph one time it will be easy. I need to watch some videos on it. Currently in my head you ahve to adjust the PH/nutes every time you water them. But im probably wrong

If you are use to mixing nutes then use some ProMix BX. It doesn't have very much. You need to start adding nutes right off the bat. Fox Farm Happy Frog is a good one with little extra Ca needed. Ocean Forest is pretty well fortified and will need cut/diluted and special treatment compared to the other two and Ca.

Comment

Hydro vs soil, the never ending debate. Both have pros and cons. I am a very literal and exact person, so I prefer the hydro. To me, it is way easier. Coco/perlite, cloth bags, HG trio with calmag, pH adjust and good water- measure n pour, keep good records, easy. You will need some circulation fans and a thermometer/hygrometer, and pH measurement. I like pH papers over meters. Good luck with your start up.
      Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

I think ive settled with Soil. Now Super Soil vs Regular with Nutes. Apparently Regular with Nutes produce better/faster results so i might just give that a try. Seems the feeding schedule isnt as aggressive as i had thought. 2 times a week isnt bad

Comment

• GroBuddy
          GroBuddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea you're not supposed to plant directly into super soil generally just a good bottom layer feeder roots grow into. Most times plants being put into final pot are still too small for super soil. That's as far as I go there. I reuse soil by letting it sit with kitchen scraps, yard waste, cardboard, worms, and dry amendments I've never researched super soil in depth. I live in a desert climate I'd have to source everything. I just put back into my used soil what my plants needed when they were in it. I'll let that sit in between grows. Sorry I can't be of more help in this area.

• ponzi314
          ponzi314 commented
          Editing a comment
          It sounds to me like this hobby will take me along way/ill learn alot along the way. Also no need to be sorry you've been more than helpful thus far and i appreciate your responses!

• GroBuddy
          GroBuddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes sir, if you choose you'll never stop learning. After soil theres fermentation, sprouted seed tea, bokashi etc. Endless rabbit hole

Earth is the logical economical and ecologically choice. I understand the enthusiasm for hydro, no question. It is also clear that indoor and organic are fundamentally contradictory.

I would have a hard time giving up growing. But.
        We have to think about our environment, so the fertilizer needed for hydro,
        or its production is not sustainable in my eyes.

No value here. Hydro farmers please do not feel attacked. I understand the fascination.
        However, I am a Vulcan.

If you buy a load of Super Soil, you can run at least a second pass with it.
        Coffee grounds are a good source of nitrogen. Molasses is a good source of minerals and trace elements. I'm thinking of getting a worm bin.

And you could mulch. There's a lot you can do to keep your soil alive.
        I don't consider growing to be a hassle. It always brings joy to spend time with the plants.

Is your setup already purchased, or planned to purchase so far?

Do you want to grow fem. or regular photoperiodic, or fem. or regular automatic? What strains do you have to choose from?

First Grow Indoor means u are a Outdoorsman?
        In my Country its really hard to find even a OK Spot.
        Last edited by MouseBeaver; 08-22-2022, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• ponzi314
          ponzi314 commented
          Editing a comment
          Second time im hearing about Neem oil. I think im going to have to give it a try when i run out of Dr Zymes

• MouseBeaver
          MouseBeaver commented
          Editing a comment
          There is neem for watering.

Some contain canola oil, these only spray.

You generally dont want to spray something on your buds. :P
          So use spraying only for fertilization or pest control in the vegetative phase.

And before I forget.
          Sunglasses for working in LED light.

About this I do not hear anyone talk, see writing.
          It hurts the eyes. Especially the reflection of the light from the tent walls and the reflection in the water as you water them. :'/

• ponzi314
          ponzi314 commented
          Editing a comment
          yea i learned about the LED's the hard way lol went to test mine out while looking right at it...ouch

And Yes. You can do almost everything imaginable with Photos.

Automatics need a good start. If something goes wrong you lose time that you can't make up.

On the other hand, I may have been able to memorize the mistakes I made more intensively.

What bothers me is the advertising.

"Beginner Friendly."

Because it's totally hard to operate the timer and possibly adjust the light source. xD

Which photo Strain do you have?
        Last edited by MouseBeaver; 08-23-2022, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• MouseBeaver
          MouseBeaver commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly. Photos are much better for this. If you make mistakes, which no one is spared, they can often be made up for.
          Certainly, there are now Autos that you can rely on. Good yield possible. But the yield is only part of the spectrum.
          I've noticed, for example, that autos effects last shorter. Maybe just imagination.
          Or it comes from the on average higher CBD content of Ruderalis genetics.
          I also noticed the abrupt drop in effect, which I do not notice in photos. It is simply much more control possible with photos.
          Once you work with your first photo, you will notice the difference.
          Autos are also cool. Dont miss the exp!

• GroBuddy
          GroBuddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Imo autos can have a place in everyone's grow. If only doing 1 run indoors, i wouldnt choose autos. Autos you never know what you're gonna get, genetics and size. Autos use more light needing a constant 18/6 schedule. You can fill space out with less photos and pull more weight with better genetics, using the same everything. Imo choosing to grow autos over photos indoors loses in all aspects. The only exceptions are knowing you're growing one of the huge auto girls. I've never had one most I've had a auto pull is a little over 6 oz growing about 30 autos every year. minimum photos pull is 6 ounces when allowed to fill space of course depending on plant count. Growing sog wont get that much. Imo since autos dont need a light change starting them indoors finishing outdoors is ideal since you can flower anytime with them outdoors, 365 days a year. Bringing in them when temps drop below 36°F when I'll bring mine in. Personally I give alot away so I grow autos for weight and multiple strains, photos for genetics
          Last edited by GroBuddy; 08-26-2022, 12:31 PM.

• MouseBeaver
          MouseBeaver commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah. You can check Strain Data on seedfinder.eu or strains.io, which is the mobile version of the first, if i get it right.

ponzi314 Well, how's it going with you ? Everything okay with the plants? Busy reading?

I'll show an attempt at pollination in a few weeks using a technique that I didn't find written anywhere. Maybe you are interested. You can cross varieties with photoperiodic ones.

But there are also regular automatics. Here crossing with other regular, or feminized is also possible.

Hello dear GWE community! This is my first post. Today I switched to 12/12. My current grow consists of a fem. Sweet Cheese from Sweet Seeds. 14 weeks of vegetative growth. Main-Lining. Since I have pollen from two beautiful afghans from Spliff Seeds, I would like to partially pollinate. Just one of my eight main buds. My

Comment

• ponzi314
          ponzi314 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey, so im still in research/setup phase. i upgrade my tent. I went with at 32x32x63, i didnt want to be restricted by height and now this thing is huge.

Currently im waiting for my outdoor plants to finish so i can harvest and dry in this tent. Once the dry is done it will be game time! I plan on starting with 1 plant in a 5 gal pot. Most likely one of my auto seeds. If all goes well i might try doing 2 at a time.

• MouseBeaver
          MouseBeaver commented
          Editing a comment
          What our herb has taught me above all is to be patient.

I would love to have a tent like that! Space to the top is overrated. Just kidding.
          Am very excited about your first indoor run. Feel free to keep us posted!

So heres my final build. Coming in at roughly $535. Stuff in bold i already purchased. Other stuff im waiting for my current harvest to be done and dried.
        Name Price Link
        CoolGrows Grow Tent 32x32x63 71 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07413MWST...roduct_details
        SPIDER FARMER SF1000 LED 117 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TS82HWB...roduct_details
        iPower GLROPEX6 6-Pair Rope Hangers 15.37 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        AC Infinity CLOUDLINE T4 129 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        VIVOSUN 4 Inch Air Carbon Filter 36.54 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        iPower GLDUCT4X8C 4 inch 8 feet Non-Insulated Flex Air 10.38 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        Timed Surger Protector 25.99 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ZSUT9VPR&psc=1
        AC Infinity Heavy Duty Fabric Pots 5x5 Gal 20 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...4FKP16S5&psc=1
        Super Soil Autoflower Concentrate 44 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...R8FCZ7EV&psc=1
        FoxFarm FX14100 Coco Loco Potting Mix 35 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...R4CT30H3&psc=1
        Seeds 30
        Hopefully this is worth it because its a big investment But i guess it beats getting a medical card and paying 50$ for 3.5 grams. Just need to grow 40 grams to offset the cost lol

Comment

• ponzi314
          ponzi314 commented
          Editing a comment
          it came with it. its pretty cool not. gonna lie. Alot easier to setup auto mode lol

• Satyaban
          Satyaban commented
          Editing a comment
          Aw man, you are going to get much more than smoke as a return, you now have a new hobby that is creating life. The first conscious thing I do when I wake is to check my plants just to marvel at their growth and changes. My current grow is 48 days old and am planning my next grow in the back of my head while I have much work ahead of me in this grow. Have a great harvest nice journey getting there.

• ponzi314
          ponzi314 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks man, its killing me to get started but i need the tent to dry my currently growing crop. The current crop i didnt put much time into. Sure i visited it and watered/sprayed dr zymes but thats as far as i went, i just let it grow. I cant wait to have full control. Im looking to do 2 plants if they fit. I want to try LST on one and other one i just want to let grow and see the difference

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X