3 gallon vs 5 gallon pot size- the experimental clones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 gallon vs 5 gallon pot size- the experimental clones

This is the results of the experimental clones. They were taken from the mother back in March. Their start is seen in post #13, and are mentioned at different times during the journal, of the mixed bag grow.

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...9145-mixed-bag

These two were the node #1 shoots. The experiment was simple, take two clones from the same mother and grow them out identically except for one in a 3 gallon cloth pot and the other in a 5 gallon. These were kind of just along for the ride and therefore did not get the usual attention given, and had their share of neglect. The point is that they were always together so what ever deficiencies they may have experienced, they were the same.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220806_163601-A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	933.7 KB ID:	573791
    The two in the back, 5g on left, 3g on right.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220808_142735-A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	845.1 KB ID:	573792
    Harvest time, 3g on left, 5g on right.
    When dried, the weight of the flower was surprisingly 29% higher in the 5 gallon pot on this run.

So there you have it, the answer to the question, all other things equal, will a larger pot in a coco/perlite hydro grow produce a larger plant? Yes it will. Now we need someone else to re-run this experiment to verify results.
    Last edited by Ckbrew; 08-16-2022, 08:39 PM.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Interesting test!
    Planning for small autos, 75-100 cm, both indica and sativa dominant, in 12.5 liter/3.3 gallon air pots.
    Would it be better to use 20 liter/5.3 gallon air pots?
    Earlier grows I used 20 liter/5.3 gallon pots and roots were nowhere near utilizing the entire pot.
    Thinking I wasted a lot of soil?

Comment

I also noticed that the 5g pot did not have roots all the way to the bottom to the extent that it would not hold all the coco in it's shape when removed from the pot. The center of the bottom was mostly loose coco for about 1 inch bottom to the up. Usually, as in the 3g pot, the roots hold the coco in the shape of the pot. Strange... Maybe the difference is that the 5g was not completely root bound?

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for doing this comparison with the pots. Makes sense about the root volume between the two. I'm going to try next go with autos a 3 an 5 size pot.

Do you think depth or just total volume is the key?

Comment

I think total volume. I say this because the outside bottom edge/corner of the pot had dense roots holding the coco. It was mainly the center that was not root bound. Also the difference in the pots height wise, is only an inch or two, compared to the diameter which was significantly larger.

Comment

• Ckbrew
          Ckbrew commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess root bound is not correct. Root full? Like filled with roots completely and evenly full and airy, but not in distress.

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Decided to go for 5 gallon pots.
          Google says 3 gallon will do, but then I saw a review from
          ‘The Artist’ and Dutch Passion Auto Blackberry Kush growing in 8 gallon...
          I wish I could grow something like that! What a beauty!

• 3Berries
          3Berries commented
          Editing a comment
          My 3.5s are what I would say completely utilized. I wonder if that is some sort of criteria for the plant knowing when to finish up?

Right now I have two identical plants one in a five gallon and one in a three gallon. The one in the three gallon is 40% taller than the five gallon. No idea on the yield at this time, but we shall see.
        Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
        5 gallon cloth pots
        30"x30"x60" tent
        Spider Farmer SE3000
        Coco Pearlite mix
        GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X