Leaves turning yellow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaves turning yellow

I am growing 3 plants, outside. One is doing fine, the others have leaves yellowing. One more so than the other. It started about 3 weeks ago at the bottom with just a few small leaves and has worked its way up past midpoint. Mostly shade leaves higher up.
    I am growing in ocean forest soil and feeding 1 X week with fox farms nutrients + cal mag at 1/2 strength The plants have just started to flower. They are about 5 and a half feet tall in 15 gallon pots. I have not been watering to run off.
    Looking at the pics in gwe's diagnostic pages it most closely resembles nitrogen deficiency. I tested soil with a cheap ph probe that only reaches about 4" down, and it read 6.5. Any thoughts? I'm thinking I should do a flush.?
    Attached Files

How hot is the root zone at peak heat? Any difference in pot orientation and direct sunlight?

Comment

• Stickers
      Stickers commented
      Editing a comment
      I forgot to mention that temps have been around 100 for that period. I put the 15 gallon pot into a 20 gallon pot and fill the void with soil for insulation, but I would guess it still gets pretty warm at the roots. I keep them in the same place but rotate them 45 degrees once a week

5 1/2 foot in 15gallons bigger than most indoor grows plants will need more food as well.

Plz dont flush for a deficiency lol flushing is never needed

Comment

The only thing to read rn if wanted to are soil ppms to see if theres food in the soil. If it's over 400 ppms you'll need a better ph check. Because if it's over 400ppms theres probably enough food meaning you've locked out and its probably a ph problem not allowing nutrient uptake. However being you're feeding 1ce a week at half strength would have me believe they are just hungry.

Comment

• Stickers
        Stickers commented
        Editing a comment
        Question: Should I raise the nutrients to full strength at 1X week or 1/2 strength 2X week?

• Stickers
        Stickers commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, thank you, I will try full strength next feeding. I double pot to insulate the roots it gets hot here. But I get you, the soil I use is from last years grow. I have a mound of it.I'm too cheap to use fresh soil. I'm already sniveling to self about doubling up on nutes.
        Your advice gave me another way of looking at this. I couldn't wrap my brain around a nute deficiency because I thought I was giving her everything she needed. It didn't occur to me that I wasn't giving her enough ( duh). Thanks again for teaching me a different perspective.

• GroBuddy
        GroBuddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Plant caddies and pot elevators work for me with heat. You're right pots with roots can not sit on hot surfaces. I live in alamogordo new mexico, it's a desert climate with summer temps of 120° not heat index but 120°F. I don't run photos outdoors but I'll do autos perpetually 24/7 365 minus a 2wk vacation most years. Nothing wrong with what you're doing with old soil if it works

yes i'd feed that one more, it's funny how some same strain need more than it's sisters but looks like a big gal. My indica hybreds don't get that large an i top them so 6ft is about max. I use 15gal like yours and drill about 12 holes all around the sides. Keep it off the hot cement put it on a riser of some sort also. Good luck
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Thanks for your advice. Guess I need to give it a little more water and check runoff. I have an inner pot (15 gal.) that the plant is in and a 20 gal. outer pot filled with soil that the runoff would filter through. I'm wondering if the ppm would be somewhat off. I'll check it out. Thank you.

Comment

• GroBuddy
          GroBuddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Feed more at once not more times weekly.

• GroBuddy
          GroBuddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Why do you have pots like that? You're ruining that second pot of soil using liquids letting that runoff leak into it. Saucers and pot elevators

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X