Dark Brown Outflow with rising pH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dark Brown Outflow with rising pH

I have 2 indoor Bruce Banner plants in same closet in full bloom. One has clear tea colored outflow with pH of 6.7. The other has a very dark brown outflow with a pH of 8.2. This happened before with 2 plants and when I started giving them pH Down they both literally died overnight! I did not know plants could die so quickly. I have learned that during the Veg stage, the pH is always perfect but when they start to bloom, the pH drops quickly. To counter this, I have applied "fast acting lime" to the soil a couple weeks before blooming. Can anyone tell me what this dark brown fluid is? Is it a fungal infection? I have been adding a little vinegar to the water of the affected plant, but the pH is not coming down. This plant is not as happy as the other plant but still seems to be staying alive. Any advice would be appreciated.

You know vinegar is in organic weed killer like green gobbler, be careful there. If you used that on the other 2 that would kill them over night. I use the green gobbler over concentrated weed killer like round up any day. Round up may take a couple days that vinegar based starts working in hours

Comment

• LouSativa
      LouSativa commented
      Editing a comment
      I added a couple ounces of vinegar because I am assuming that this may be root rot, a fungus infection. Fungi hate vinegar. The vinegar does not seem to be hurting the affected plant. pH down was murder. I just want to know, what is that brown discharge?

• GroBuddy
      GroBuddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Humm I always use peroxide not vinegar good luck. I would assume soil is anaerobic which is what's causing that.

Well i use Epsome salts to bring back soil to neutral flush with 1 tablespoon per gallon of plain water don't give anything else then i'd check your runoff after a few days using just water. Give it a try it's a cheap old fashioned way of healing sick plants.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Vinegar (lemon juice) is not good as a PH down, if you let the vinegar adjusted water set for 12 hours and retest you'll see the PH fluctuation, well it does the same in the soil.
      I use sulfuric acid, it is a good stable PH down, it will also burn you. BE CAREFUL.
      I also use pelleted sulfur in the soil, sulfur water and 02 slowly make sulfuric acid. The plant can move it around to make the PH what it wants. Dont get carried away with it.
      The color is likely from rotting stuff if the pot, lets hope its leaf mater and not roots.

Comment

Brown discharge would be organic matter wouldn't it? The dead roots and or bacteria, fungi.

Comment

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          We see the same thing.

UPDATE! One closet, 2 identical blooming potted plants treated with identical light, watering, and fertilizers. One plant had a pH of 6.5 and had a clear outflow. The other plant had a pH of 8-8.5 and horrible dark brown crap in the outflow. pH down killed the last plants that I treated with this condition. I added around 6 oz of white vinegar to each gallon of water to the sick plant only. Over a 3 week period the brown outflow slowly cleared and ultimately became as clear as the healthy plant. As noted by Rwise above the pH did not ever get below 8.0! Despite the high pH, the sick plant continued to bloom as normal as the healthy plant. I can only conclude that my sick plants were suffering from root rot, a fungal infection. Vinegar kills fungus very effectively. I also learned that my plants seemed to thrive at a pH of 8-8.5 (and 6.5), so there is no need to take emergency measures to lower the pH to avoid nutrient lockout. I have also concluded that adding pH down to a plant with root rot will kill the plant overnight. I cannot explain this but be warned! Now if only I can find a way to prevent bud rot on my outdoor plants.....

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello LouSativa glad you found a way to correct the pH. All i can say outdoor plants need air circulation and less dense foliage if you don't have breezy conditions. To many plants next to eachother will help that mold form. I myself just check a little spare plant i put into a flower bed cause i wanted to not deal with another potted plant. Anyway this little gal only grew about 24" an she was a photoperiod. I never fed her only water she got was when i watered my flower be. She grew and flowered but i harvested her early cause i notice mold gray mold. She was crammed inbetween flowers no air except for the top portion which was fine.
          None of my large pots get this unless it get misty cold and not under a canopy. Air air and foliage removal it's a lot of work .

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          PH can be off and the plant still grow well IF everything the plant needs is in the soil. The plant will move some stuff around to make the soil what it wants/needs. Still better to have the PH in the zone, pelleted sulfur is a PH down buffer. Our girls need sulfur, the sulfur will take on air and water to create a small amount of sulfuric acid.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X