Filtering da extract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filtering da extract

Ok I use 190 EC decarb the weed and wash it with the 190. I just tossed all my damn coffee filters in the trash as the extract does not go through it, a few drips and then nothing. Maybe bad filters? Maybe I need more patients? Maybe I should ask just how long it takes others to filter a quart of extract?
    I have 24 quarts decarbed in the freeze ready to wash, I'd like this batch cleaner than the last. Any thoughts?

i would imagine that gravity filtration is very slow. Try vacuum filtration with a buchner funnel and filter paper. This saves much time and does a good job.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll give that a search.

Howdy Rwise, what are You putting the coffee filter in? I made some ethanol extract from some trim some time back. I placed a 'flattened out' coffee filter in the bottom of a large 8inch strainer screen (from kitchen supply store), then I used several layers of cheese cloth (to get the big chunks out). The process still took about an hour to finish draining. Also, I think that the cheaper filters work better.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      I have tried different things, a half gallon jug with the flat removed and filter in its place, I have put the filter on a screen to give wore surface (not). Then I tried bags from wine making, then white paper towels these go fast but dont work so well. The coffee filters were generic, and left from another project they did not work well for, I tossed 'em this time.

Looks like I can use the source turbos vacuum pump with a buchner funnel, prices are all over the place!

Comment

Originally posted by Rwise View Post
      Ok I use 190 EC decarb the weed and wash it with the 190. I just tossed all my damn coffee filters in the trash as the extract does not go through it, a few drips and then nothing. Maybe bad filters? Maybe I need more patients? Maybe I should ask just how long it takes others to filter a quart of extract?
      I have 24 quarts decarbed in the freeze ready to wash, I'd like this batch cleaner than the last. Any thoughts?
      You have 24 quarts of decarbed bud in the freezer?

Comment

quirk yes I do and 24 more to bake (its to damn hot out right now). With 6 nice large plants in the yard I need to run a few batches to down size inventory.

Comment

What are you planning to do with this extraction? I have less than an ounce of decarb that I want to process soon for gum drops. The last time I did fast, very cold QWET I dumped the jar though a metal sieve then after more freezer time I poured it through the mesh sieve below. Since I wasn't trying to make carts with decarb I probably could've bypassed the one coffee filter strain. It was really clean.

24 quarts of decarb, wow. Jar decarb'd or done in foil? Can you remember who showed pics of putting their bud in nut or tea or smash bags and let in hang out in a jar or EverClear, to avoid draining, straining, and wringing the material? I can picture it but forget whose kitchen it is. Click image for larger version

Name:	Funnel.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	570535

Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
          Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
          Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
          Various size fabric grow bags
          Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
          4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
          Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

Filtering a quart through coffee filters could be like watching paint dry. Just 3 oz seems to take a while sometimes. Spring for a big ST, the ExtraCraft eToh recovery and all the necessary gadgets. I'll be jealous.
            Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
            Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
            Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
            Various size fabric grow bags
            Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
            4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
            Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              I think paint dries faster, the buchner funnel (above) sounds nice, but its glass and I would break it, so those that are 600+ smackers are out. I could just see me using it 1 time and breaking the vacuum port off of it.

I ingest some for sleep before bed time, I just want to make it look better, nice and amber. I decarb in the jar 8 quarts at a go.
            I can picture that, but know nothing about that method.

Comment

• Puglover1
              Puglover1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Wish I could remember who did that. Anyway, I didn't use that metal funnel only the mesh strainer plastic part, the wash was almost clear afterward.

Rwise That's what I was going to recommend: Source machine extract with buchner funnel and micro filters. Works like a charm. Here's a topic of mine w/ pictures of the buchner doing its thing. Here's my topic on making sap from sugar leaves using buchner: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-sap-from-trim
            Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
            2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
            Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Greetings Rwise,
              I get very good and fast results after a cold QWET extraction by just stretching a #120 Bubble Hash bag tightly over the mouth of the extraction jar and pouring it through. Golden, clear and delicious!

If you intend to reach a purity appropriate for making vape cartridges the Buchner filter is the way to go.

Cheers,
              -Grouchy
              My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
              I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
              Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• Rwise
                Rwise commented
                Editing a comment
                I like this idea, thanx, I want some bubble hash bags anyway!

Originally posted by Rwise View Post
              quirk yes I do and 24 more to bake (its to damn hot out right now). With 6 nice large plants in the yard I need to run a few batches to down size inventory.
              Got it. I thought perhaps the quarts was a misprint and should have been grams. You're way out of my league. I double bag 14 grams in rosin bags and let it drip dry after extraction. I use the source turbo to reclaim only, as I don't need to filter. With your volume, as you and Puglover1 mentioned, it would be like watching paint dry.
              On a side note, do you find taking the tinc at bedtime eliminates all dreams and nightmares?

Comment

• Puglover1
                Puglover1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for refreshing my memory. It's photographic but no so much with text than numbers. My plastic ring mesh strainer above is 200 microns, seemed like running that wash through a coffee filter was a waste. After draining through the rosin bag do you winterize then process to use as planned? Is your weed decarbed before extraction or depends on what you're making?

Here's the top shelf with 20 qts.
              No I find the only thing is if I am disturbed, I may not to "with it" and a bit grouchy, stoned to the stumbling point so to say. I get 2-4 hours sleep without it, and ~8 with it.

Comment

• Puglover1
                Puglover1 commented
                Editing a comment
                How much are you allowed to gift down there? LoL. Sounds like my sleep, with or without gum drops. I can't do alcohol tincture. I dice up the gummies and try to hold them to dissolve in my mouth.

• Rwise
                Rwise commented
                Editing a comment
                We cannot share, gift or otherwise, big nono not that it dont happen and once around the corner who can tell? I dont want the alcohol in it either.

If you or someone you know has a 3d printer, I find the following print very useful. I get 1qt through a filter overnight. This allows you to keep it cold throughout the process.

Comment

• Rwise
                Rwise commented
                Editing a comment
                Most of those I hang with cant afford these big boy toys, there is a place in Tulsa that does the 3D prints.

• Rwise
                Rwise commented
                Editing a comment
                Unfortunately they will not let me view their site, I change my settings for no one! They can keep their cookies!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X