Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First ScrOG attempt.. how's it looking?

Hi all
    After a somewhat successful first grow, I'm having a go at a ScrOG...

Made the frame out of untreated pine and 2x2" plastic garden trellis. The frame spans most of my 2.5x2.5' tent.

Vegged mostly under 2x 50w COBs, but have had to install my 400w HPS to keep the heat up a bit, my little oil column heater was struggling with the cold air (southern hemisphere winter).

Strain is unknown, cloned from my last grow (which was from random bagseed). It has quite a mandarin/lemony smell when you break up a nug.
    ​​​​​​​
    How does it look so far? I feel like it may get too tight filling every gap with a node.

Thoughts/expertise is welcomed and appreciated!
    2.5x2.5x6' tent
    2x 55w COB veg, 400w HPS flower
    Coco/perlite with mycorrhizal mix in fabric bags
    2-part base nutes + veg/bloom boosts, bud boost, calmag
    Carbon filter/exhaust, 6" oscillating fan, usb static fan
    Gear and controllers for heat/humitidy used as needed

Strain unknown

Can’t see much from your pic but these pics is what I’m shooting for and what I consider a ScrOG. Most just throw a net in their tent overtop of their plants which only gets in the way

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent! Using this method I can still lift pots out of the tent for watering and inspection!
      Thank you very much for the idea!
      Great pictures of you ladies!!

• bboyfromwayback
      bboyfromwayback commented
      Editing a comment
      75% is a good number. Some strains give big, tall colas. Some just produce big fat tops all over

Thanks @madman….I actually saw this method in High Times years ago then tweaked it a little bit

• transcend
      transcend commented
      Editing a comment
      Those compact nets do look good!

A couple of updated pics.. I'm thinking it's almost about time to flip... the stretch should hopefully fill out the rest.
    Will be defoling at flip and again at 21 days flower.

There's a few places where the node spacing is tight enough that multiple nodes (2-3) are in the same square.
    I'm hoping that when I flip they'll stretch and I can use them to help fill out, but if there's still crowded squares when the grid is full should I chop the crowded nodes?

I know there's only supposed to be one per square and I feel like 2 or more would end up touching and maybe make undesirable pockets of humidity among the canopy.
    Anyone who's got experience with this I'd be keen on your thoughts especially, but I'm keen on any and all advice, thanks!!
    2.5x2.5x6' tent

Strain unknown

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great to me really filled in well, i'd flip it anytime cause it will nearly cover that side spaces and stretch another 6" upward on those budsites possibly more

• bboyfromwayback
      Editing a comment
      They’ll be fine. Once above the net they’ll make their space. It’s why I like 2-3” openings in the net. Those little 1x1 squares are too small

• transcend
      transcend commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks SoOrbudgal that's exactly what I'm going for! A little forest of colas would be ideal 😁

Good to know bboyfromwayback, I was hoping that would be the case. My openings are 2" squares, the net is just under 2.5 feet on the sides.

It's now 2 1/2 weeks since I flipped to 12/12. Trained as much as I could for the first week, now I'm gonna take off the reins from here on out.

I'll defoliate at the end of this week and tie some of the branches to the net if need be for spacing/airflow.
    It's a pretty haphazard canopy, she was never intended for a scrog, I had 2 candidates for a mother and this one's architecture at the time said 'scrog attempt' to me
    Next time I'll be manifolding from the get-go I think.

Have switched to exclusively bloom nutes, temps are pretty consistently 73-76°f day/60-65°f night. Humidity is about 55-57% after watering down to about 40-45% when the Coco is dry enough to feed.

So far so good I think, would've liked to have filled the grid completely but I'm happy enough at this point. Hoping for some more upwards growth for my little forest... 🤞🏼🤞🏼

​​​​​​​Sorry about yellowy pics, HPS is a baaaaastard to photograph for me, but with a bit of tweaking they look more like the colour they actually are haha.
    2.5x2.5x6' tent

Strain unknown

Comment

End of week 6 flower.. things are looking all right so far I think. Bud's are starting to fill out a bit, first pistils starting to recede. I'm hoping they'll fatten up more but already feel pretty solid to a gentle squeeze. Starting to get frosty on the sugar leaves.
      The out of tent pics were taken a few days previous but show better angles.

​​​​​​I feel like the old school /---\ shaped reflector I'm using is a contributor to the growth being higher in the middle.. will definitely upgrade for next grow.

It's a bit crowded but I've got a 6" clip fan oscillating above the reflector, and a 4" stationary clip fan both above and below the canopy blowing a decent breeze around.
      I'm wondering about defoling some leaves in the thick of things to aerate a bit and let some light through, will this slow her down much? Nothing too excessive, maybe 20 small fans.. or is that getting into hermie-inducing stress territory?
      ​​​​​​​
      Humidity at canopy is between low 40s to low 50s
      Temps between 73-78 day 55-65 nights
      ​​​
      2.5x2.5x6' tent

Strain unknown

Comment

Originally posted by transcend View Post
        Hi all
        After a somewhat successful first grow, I'm having a go at a ScrOG...

Made the frame out of untreated pine and 2x2" plastic garden trellis. The frame spans most of my 2.5x2.5' tent.

Vegged mostly under 2x 50w COBs, but have had to install my 400w HPS to keep the heat up a bit, my little oil column heater was struggling with the cold air (southern hemisphere winter).

Strain is unknown, cloned from my last grow (which was from random bagseed). It has quite a mandarin/lemony smell when you break up a nug.
        ​​​​​​​
        How does it look so far? I feel like it may get too tight filling every gap with a node.

Thoughts/expertise is welcomed and appreciated!
        Maybe I missed it but what is your height restriction? We moved over the past year and no longer have my tent ( 4x5x6.5) Now I have to resort to a crawl space grow which has 38 " limit and will have to use strict training to keep them low.... building a tent under there is a real PITA especially sealing up the floor Joist, so my ventilation and scrubber will work as intended. We shall see...

Comment

• transcend
          transcend commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey, my tent is about 6.5” too (2m). Just had a measure, the tops of the tallest colas are 34" from the base of the frame. Height to the top of my reflector is about 50". I left a pretty generous gap between the pot and screen to make it easier to train/trim/feed as it's my first go at scrog and I wanted to make it easier on myself.

I can't see why if you train them them low to the pot why you couldn't get away with 38" of headroom (depending on the size of pots you wanna use) especially if you're using LEDs. HPS I'd definitely use a cooltube cos it'd get mega hot without one. Maybe have your ladies on a tray you can slide/roll in and out to tend to them..

Did you check out the pics bboyfromwayback posted earlier in this thread?
          It looks like he's got the low-to-pot scrog perfected and would no doubt have more knowledge than I on the topic.
          Last edited by transcend; 09-05-2022, 01:20 AM.

• bboyfromwayback
          Editing a comment
          38” isn’t much to work with at all considering most pots will be around 12” tall, add another 12” for your plant after training and you’re only looking at 14” clearance.

My suggestion, find another place to grow! Everything about a crawspace grow sound like a terrible idea to me besides just being a pain in the ass to deal with

That 38" starts to disappear quickly when you do the math... I do grow with LED.

Comment

• transcend
          transcend commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah it's not a lot of space to work with..
          There's a lot of 'stealth' growers who grow in tiny spaces, space buckets/computer towers etc.
          I guess it just depends on what you're after in terms of ideal harvest size.
          I wonder if it's possible to train the branches to grow out and down, then laterally so that the nodes are below the pot height. That way the canopy wouldn't be much higher than the pot (if at all).

I'm getting ideas for an experimental plant on my next grow now 😂

There is a local Apple orchid (old) that trained all there trees to grow like that...It keeps all the apples low and does not require a ladder to harvest them. Funny lots of orchirds around but that is the only one with obvious plant training.

I regenerated my GAC in a muractic acid wash for 24 hours, long enough for it to stop boiling and smoking and have since reassembled the filter / blower.. the hard part was sealing the floor joist opening.. I could of just taken heavy poly to the roof of the tent area but that would create a potential heat / fire issue with the lights being right there. The filter tucked up in the joist nicely and only hangs down a inch or so.

Slow go...the equipment is more tedious to reassemble in new environment...

This is the first time I have thought about the simplicity of fem seeds but I want to collect some pollen this time around to cross some cold weather strains for next year summer.

Comment

I've done many of experiments with photoperiod plants using different techniques bending them over, mainlining practicing with tying them down. Even twisted branches abit and you'd be amazed how well they recover and allow those tiny branches to grow upward an make nice long colas. But you gotta get them young an healthy to begin with, i do it from 4 wks onward but never tried it with autos except for LST and some tying down of branches they get stiff for me after 6wks an break.
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Beginning of week 9 since the flip. Harvest is looking imminent.. trichs are mostly cloudy and plenty of amber on the sugar leaves, waiting for some to show on the buds. Ideally I want a cerebral high but not too racey.

Had to switch out the HPS back to my LED a couple of days ago after the weather got unseasonably warm, spotted a handful of nanners (I think it was heat stress) and plucked them, found none since. From what I've read I needn't worry being in late flower there's no time for seeds to grow really.

Pretty happy with the result, got my little forest of colas 😁
            ​​​​​​Some are stacked down to the net, but others have an inch or so of stalk between but from other pics online I think that's down to the strain (turns out she's a grease monkey, note to self - labels on clones!) I've learned a few things on how to improve next time round.
            2.5x2.5x6' tent

Strain unknown

Comment

they look great... How high did they stretch from your pots?

Comment

• transcend
                transcend commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! It's just the one plant in a 5gal pot.
                There's about 8-9" between the top of the pot to the screen, just because this was my first go and it makes it much easier to water/feed/trim etc. Could definitely go lower to the pot height though. My canopy got pretty bushy so I think the extra distance was good for helping keep the canopy humidity down a bit

Last pics of my lady, harvested her yesterday. Branches are all hung up in the tent for drying.

Once they're dry and trimmed I'll update with final yield etc
              2.5x2.5x6' tent

Strain unknown

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X