Nutrient burn or light burn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nutrient burn or light burn?

Hello, I have month old plants still in their round pots that haven't been transplanted. I cannot post a picture because my camera cannot zoom into the shot. But the very tips of my plants, I mean the very tips, half a mm in length, have yellowed. It's almost unnoticeable. But if you look, you can see. The rest of the plant seems to be growing fine, albeit maybe a bit slowly. They've been growing for over a month and only about 8 inches so far.

I don't think this is normal, I'm using a 300watt LED grow light, that was 18 inches from the plant, I lowered the plants and now the light is over two feet from the plant, 55% intensity. Tips of the leaves are still coming in yellow. What could the problem be?

Without pics hard to say

300 watts is too much for a young plant 150 to 180 if you can go lower at 6 inches above canopy should suffice. I dont use 300 until they are about a month into veg so a month and 2wks old. Slow growth is generally due to over watering
    Last edited by GroBuddy; 07-03-2022, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooops was that bad info so sorry PhoenixFlower better listen to someone else. Not !!

Originally posted by GroBuddy View Post
    Without pics hard to say

300 watts is too much for a young plant 150 to 180 if you can go lower at 6 inches above canopy should suffice. I dont use 300 until they are about a month into veg so a month and 2wks old. Slow growth is generally due to over watering
    It's not 300 watts though. That's the max output of the growlight. It's more or less 150 watts. My distances should have never been an issue, I've never allowed less than 18 inches of distance between the tops of the plants and the growlight. I'm using a granular fertilizer mixed into my top soil that's 7 3 3, perhaps nitrogen toxicity? I didn't add a lot into the mix though.

The watering... I cannot seem to get this right. I either overwater or underwater. If I add 10 spritzes of water into the pot in the morning, the plants seem fine until about nine hours later when they begin to droop due to underwatering. I need to add 5 spritzes in to perk them back up. Today, I got a little adventurous this morning. Added 15 spritzes instead of 10, they began to droop. There is no happy in between lol

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      In order to know how much water the plant needs lift that pot prior to watering it needs to feel light. At a month old transplant it but water it now to runoff man it's old enough then don't do anymore till you feel it lighter weight . Yellow tips are too much N

• GroBuddy
      GroBuddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Without pics that's bad information. Yellow tips could be from a multitude of causes not just nitrogen. If the plant is stunted you may not need to water enough to have a good pot weight. Bad information all around without pics. This is also assuming op is a experienced grower and all his information given is accurate as needed to respond without pics. No knock on op but there may be issues that could be seen he's not thinking of because of experience. Giving explanations for something else when it's something else. Hard to give accurate information without pictures especially when your asking is it light or nutrient burn. Dry amendments are slow release and aren't used until plant signals its needed impossible to over feed using dry amendments only time you'll run into issues like that is using fresh compost thatll get the medium too hot for roots during the decomposition process. Unless you're adding like excessively too much per gallon organics is very forgiving
      Last edited by GroBuddy; 07-03-2022, 12:15 PM.

Spritz at a month should be giving alot more water as mentioned pics would benefit. If indoors should be watering every 3 to 5 days by a month unless in small starter pots

Hard to burn using dry amendments.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you give bad info no offence to the other post

Originally posted by GroBuddy View Post
    Spritz at a month should be giving alot more water as mentioned pics would benefit. If indoors should be watering every 3 to 5 days by a month unless in small starter pots

Hard to burn using dry amendments.
    I tried taking pics, I really did. My camera won't focus in on the spot in question. I can take a picture if you really insist, but you're not going to be able to get anything form it. My plnt pots are 4.00 round pots.My fertilizer is an OMRI granulated fertilizer that I mixed in very sporadically, there's really not a lot there. I'd argue there's probably too little, seeing how as I've been growing over a month and only have 8 inches of growth thus far..

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Try transplanting to the final pot

Howdy PhoenixFlower, your smart phone should be able to get a photo of the problem good enough to see what is happening. In the past (on some of my grows) the tips of the leaves turn yellow to brown, just on the ends, and when it is light burn, the affected leaves turn a pale yellow and can be very splotchy or 'patterned (like a pinto), and very crisp. Some photos are necessary to even begin to diagnose the problem(s).
    Good luck with your grow.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X