What I learned from my Summer Grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I learned from my Summer Grow

1. Strain matters a lot. The average temperature in my tent is currently 86 degrees and there is nothing I can do to lower it. This was an all auto flower grow. The strain they use to make an auto flower an "auto flower" is a cold weather strain. 86 degrees is no joke and I will shortly start a new grow that will be all "Haze" strains. Haze is a strain that does really well in hot humid conditions. Trying to grow predominately Indica " which is mostly a cool weather strain that are also auto flowers during the summer, is a fools errand. I guess I was a fool.

2. Last year, using the same growing medium, I watered my girls with three gallons every third day and got about 1.5-2 qts. of runoff. Right now I am watering every third day an getting about a pint of runoff. The heat is just sucking moisture out of my fabric pots. The good news is that the evaporative cooling effect is good for the roots.

3. When plants are sprouting leaves, there is a fine line between too much and too little water.

4. I am officially done with "FIM-ing". It almost never works for me. I FIM-ed all five of my plants exactly the way it is explained in GWE.com and none of them took. Cut the top, easy and almost fool-proof.

5. A silica supplement definitely helps plants survive hot conditions.

6. No matter how many grows you do, no matter how many years,, You never know it all. I learn far more from trying to fix my errors than I do from my successes.

My current grow is going to be a bust. If I'm lucky I may get three ounces from 5 plants. As per usual, I have to learn it the hard way.
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

I'm growing a Neville Haze ryder and she is doing much better than my AK-47 auto from Serious Seeds. My temp is at top 30C in the grow room so yes hot temp play a big role during summer on autos, never had issues with photos before. At least I'm able to control my humidity with my humidifier.
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

OldManGrower Not being able to control the temp is rough, and getting rougher. I personally see the (heat) wave of the future making indoor, climate controlled growing the only option, except for a few places on the planet that aren't suffering from excess heat, fire, flooding, etc.

I leave the doors of my grow boxes open during flower in the summer when the lights are on, with the ceiling fan on, small fans inside the boxes, AC set at 72. I shut the doors when the lights go off. It makes a big difference. Is it possible for you to do something similar to get cooler air circulation inside the tents? I also grow hybrids almost exclusively now, cup winners that get tall and preserve all the good Kush characteristics. They seem stronger and more tolerant to me.
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
        bboyfromwayback commented
        Editing a comment
        I have to do the same thing. On really hot days I unzip my tent door 1/2 way and it helps with the heat when lights are on

My garage is so flippin hot and stale air no way could i grow with out using air conditioning. I'm holding off using it indoors right now for myself just using fans and closing curtains. That's all i've done when it gets warm inside the house growing in the tent is leaving door open and fans circulating. I'm sorry you can't move them outdoors OldManGrower. I'm watering them everyday and spraying down the containers to keep them cool the fabric drys so quickly. Today i may move the autos under shade of maple tree for some relief lots of concrete now where i live hotter dryer area. GG#4 , Blueberry Kush, like the outdoor temps but autos will struggle without moisture at least that's what i've seen with mine outdoors. 2x aday i water them fabric pots early morning and sundown.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Anyone else experimented with Ice Cubes

I have the same problem in the summer. Usually especially during Budding time, a few ice cubes seem to help keep the roots cooler. Making the plants happy. Trial and error definitely does not hurt, I really think the girls like it a lot.

Happy growing
        Perpetual Harvests
        Set up: 6 x 6 Grow room https://forum.growweedeasy.com/core/...lies/smile.png [ Home made],2-spyder farmer,3 best VA. 12/12 Flowering...4X4 tent,18hours light for Autos and starting photos in veg. 2 mars hydro.
        Bonsai clones & feminized Started to move outdoors in season.
        2 Exhaust fans -- 3 Circulate intake fans. as needed, all wide open currently. Potting soil Mixed with homemade organic, perlite, peat moss, Worm castings.

“On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations” (Revelation 22:2).

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          I did try ice cubes in the reservoir about 5 years ago: it worked for 45 minutes. So then I invested in chillers for my two reservoirs. This ain't no cheap hobby, I always say.

• bboyfromwayback
          bboyfromwayback commented
          Editing a comment
          Hell no it’s not!!!! 😂

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X