Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie grower looking for some input for 4 plants

Hi everyone,

Wanted to share a couple of pics from my plants with you.
    The three plants that are doing the best are Indica, autoflower females.
    The other one is a sativa.(dont ask me for more details, the seed was my friend’s)
    So the two plants that are doing the best, they were hardened off properly and slowly.
    I also started to grow them inside, even transferred them to a bigger pot before planting them outside.
    One of those two(the shorter one) was topped, And is actually doing pretty well, I see two(kinda even 2 other ones too) main stems now and the plant looks strong.
    The taller one was not topped and this one also looks very healthy. I did the topping about a week and a half after they were planted outside.
    I did notice recently with these two that some roots started showing, kinda more and more… Is this something to worry about? I read that it’s because of lack of oxygen for the roots or overwatering?
    The soil is sand based and very porous so I doubt it’s from overwatering. I live in western Europe and it’s getting pretty warm but still rains a good amount.
    The other two, the ones that don’t look as great…. They were hardened off too quickly, the smallest one definitely got shocked.
    And I actually topped them while they were still inside(they were growing quite well) in their small containers. They had a bunch of leaves turning yellow and I removed them.
    The bigger one of these two seems to be recovering… Kinda…
    So I’d like some input in regards to the smaller ones, if they can still be saved or not.
    And for the bigger ones I am more concerned about the roots but aside from that they seem to be doing pretty well I’d say for a first time grower

They were all planted April 2nd, indoors.
    The two weaker ones had a very slow start as well.
    They pulled through well but I think I messed it up by topping and the hardening off shock + transfering outside all together too fast.
    May 18 the two big ones were transferred to outside soil.
    May 25 I topped one of the two big ones, and I topped the smaller ones(still inside small pots, inside)
    June 2nd, move the smaller two outside as well.

I have used some dried cow dung pellets as nutrition for the plants, about once every 3 weeks I add some.

Thanks!

PS: left the watering can in one of the pics so you can have a perspective how tall it is.

Well problem with that dung tends to be like mud allows for less drainage and air to the roots. Now in my experience with roots coming out of soil happens alot to me. I just pile more soil over them. Next time when you plan for outdoor inground must improve drainage and soil mix. Dig that hole and make a more porious soil mixture with perlite stones. I make my own soil with mixtures of recycled soils from outdoor pots, added coco and bagged organic soils with out added ferts. Your autos may of been in too hot soil with that cow poo. Looks like sludge sorry man.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Originally posted by SoOrbudgal View Post
      Well problem with that dung tends to be like mud allows for less drainage and air to the roots. Now in my experience with roots coming out of soil happens alot to me. I just pile more soil over them. Next time when you plan for outdoor inground must improve drainage and soil mix. Dig that hole and make a more porious soil mixture with perlite stones. I make my own soil with mixtures of recycled soils from outdoor pots, added coco and bagged organic soils with out added ferts. Your autos may of been in too hot soil with that cow poo. Looks like sludge sorry man.
      Thanks for the tips in regards to the soil.
      Now you say sludge - obviously some of these pics were right after watering…
      And I didn’t put too much of the cow poo(this was also weeks before these pics were taken actually)
      Any recommendations moving forward with these 4?

Comment

Why would they help anymore, if you dont think that puddle of water is an issue? Should never do that before, during or after watering. It may puddle up, but water should have seeped before you could take a pic. Not only are you drowning roots and slowing growth over time that dirt is going to become compact and restrain root growth... triple whammy drowning them out, depriving oxygen and preventing growth

Imo you've already lost growth per plants age, could be genetics. Outdoors is fairly simple, best to be preventative and active against pests, mold and mildew. Good luck bud
        Last edited by GroBuddy; 06-24-2022, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• GroBuddy
          GroBuddy commented
          Editing a comment
          you didn't use the shit properly as mentioned, cannabis needs aeration. Should seep in like 3 seconds.

• Gilligan8812
          Gilligan8812 commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh dang. Okay… Since I have some more pellets left - how should I do it ? Rake the soil around it(how deep?) and just sprinkle them in and then cover up? Or how?

• GroBuddy
          GroBuddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably just ride it out and adjust how you use it next grow. I've never used manure directly on plants. I've always let it decompose and turn to nutrients then plant in that dirt. When fresh organics breaks down that causes heat. Sometimes if used enough that heat can burn plants. Some people add it to the very bottom so it has time to break down while roots stretch into it. Really nothing you can do now roots could be several feet down cant aerate all that.

I start mine in their final home, never transplanted and never topped. I dont water until they wilt a bit, until its that dry outside I let Mother Nature water them (some times thats to much). I also use raised beds with open bottoms (helps with drainage) that hold 135 gallons of my own organic soil.
        Are those bull pellets aged or just pelleted? Cow poo is not a bad thing as long as its aged/composted and not over done.
        Whats the PH of your soil?
        Cover those roots, I often cover up to and including 6 lower branches, all that is cover can grow roots.
        When you water do it away from the plant, in a circle around it. If you go out and look at a healthy plant just after a lite rain the ground under the plant will be dry. The water should not stand on the surface at all. You need to work on drainage, PH and watering.
        This Black Willie was sprouted March 29 in the pot it sets in now, those are onions planted with it, this pic is about a week old.

Comment

• Gilligan8812
          Gilligan8812 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the tips!
          I do not know the Ph of the soil to be honest.
          Tbh I also am not sure if the pellets are aged or just pelleted, got them from a florist friend.
          I will keep the watering tips in mind!
          In regards to the draining, what can I do currently to improve this?
          The soil is quite porous already.
          Btw: nice looking plant you got there!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X