Quick question about autoflowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question about autoflowers

So I was sent an AK-47 auto by Crop King Seeds with my last order and I've never grown an auto before. It's doing really, really well after three weeks and I'm wondering how well they respond to LST? I'm sort of tempted to just let it do it it's thing without training it just to see what it wants to do in terms of height and width. But I'm wondering how well they do if you top them or train them as they get closer and closer to their point of changing to flowering
    Attached Files

I don't top autos but they respond well to lst.ak is a sativa leaning strain so you may want to tie her down some.
    keeping it green with the soil thing
    love me some frosty autos
    braap
    BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
    Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
    the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
    blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

Normally I dont do anything to autos outdoors
      could be my technique or strain choice, but I'm not too excited about current grow. 2 I let grow are my made seeds grown in winter time. Down to 36° and only recieved 8 to 10 hrs of light a day. Second is just some lst, 3rd is topped and lst. Next run I'm going back to just letting them grow lol relying on tucking and defoliation as usual
      Attached Files
      Last edited by GroBuddy; 06-10-2022, 10:22 AM.

Comment

That's how I'll train plants instead of tying down. With autos as soon as I can bend them over without plant laying in medium. If theres a fan on the back side in medium I'll remove that one. Like to do autos early due to short veg tring to get that lower growth up and moving
        Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CLONE 12A.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	929.5 KB
ID:	567245

The conventional wisdom says autos can not handle topping and training. Here is proof that an auto can be topped, HST, and manifolded.
          My one and only experience with autos, they were supposed to be photos, but what I got. They were trained into a manifold like one would do to a photo. At 7 weeks under 18/6 light they popped flowers so I moved them outside. The main take away I got from this is if you are going to do it, do it fast. Also conventional wisdom says that autos can not be cloned. Again, being totally unconventional, I was able to successfully clone and manifold the clones from the auto. The clones were small and slow, and eventually fell ill with bud rot and were terminated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CLONE 13A.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	1,012.4 KB
ID:	567246
          The auto clones.

I'm not saying that autos don't need different care, they do, and you are still working against the clock, but I wouldn't be intimidated by giving them some training.
          Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• Going2fast
            Going2fast commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree you can top some autos. You have to judge how good a strain can handle a little stress. Sativa leaning strains seem to handle it better.

Nobody says you cant clone a auto, a auto is a plant a clipping can be taken and rooted. Reason people dont clone autos is because you cant veg them. A clone will act like the parent, so little to no veg time on a already aged plant part with a short veg time before a automated flower transition. Curious how much did that topping and training actually increase yield. Without doing anything generally 5 to 6 oz 4 minimum those look like around the same. Seems rather unnecessary vs just throwing water on them and beating them with a stick until harvest. Those plants look good js work vs reward doesn't seem to add up.

I broke this ones main stalk last year during flower looks about the same just no lst. Trying super cropping. Ran it only for seeds appearance isn't pretty but as mentioned I didn't do anything but throw water on it and beat it with a stick until ripe seeds were falling off, harvested the seeds then gave plant to worm bin
          Attached Files
          Last edited by GroBuddy; 06-10-2022, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I have grown autos indoors on several occasions. I have always topped them and applied LST to them exactly as I would a photo. I've never had one die and I get much denser bud growth.
            Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
            5 gallon cloth pots
            30"x30"x60" tent
            Spider Farmer SE3000
            Coco Pearlite mix
            GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

I grow autos exclusively and after experimenting with both training methods, I now LST only. Mainly because I get a two ounce increase in yield.
              Examples of both below.
              Last edited by quirk; 06-10-2022, 05:57 PM.

Comment

• User420111
                User420111 commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, really nice. I guess that answers that question. Now do you continue to clip and prune through the flowering phase or stop when they start to flip?

You don't "flip" autos
              User420111 and I do not clip and prune my autos continusly like photos because it slows them down. They don't behave like photos and recover quickly. They break easily at about a month old.
              Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
              indoor/outdoor grower
              1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
              1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
              I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
              Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
              Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
              Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• User420111
                User420111 commented
                Editing a comment
                Well yeah, they "flip". They go from vegetative to flowering, call it what you like. You just don't control "the flipping". No need to get all pedantic about it

User420111 sorry if you got butt hurt by the comment because most growers i know call flipping changing from vegging to flowering with the lights. Flipping means changing lights from 18/6 to 12/12 this is why i said YOU DON'T FLIP AUTOS ask anyone

indoor/outdoor grower
              1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
              Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to

Comment

• User420111
                User420111 commented
                Editing a comment
                Butt hurt, huh? Nice. Very sweet.

Yes, that's what I mean. Changing from veg to flower is known as flipping. Autos DO flip. They don't start out of the seed shell flowering... do they? I mean at some point they have to change what they're doing. But Okie dokie, make an argument out of it.

I think you need better ganja to calm yourself down.

• GroBuddy
                GroBuddy commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow lol awesome reaction butt hurt aye outstanding way to be of service to someone unknowegable in lingo or terms associated with cannabis cultivation.

• Bowhunterwoody
                Bowhunterwoody commented
                Editing a comment
                Actually I have had pistils at 9 days on an auto so yes some come out flowering. Flipping to me is light timing.

Dude what the hell it's your view flip means changing light times and you don't have to with autos Your wrong and can't see what your problem is it's the term the word maybe you'd lay off the gawwwwwd what a dense knuckle dragger

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

• User420111
                User420111 commented
                Editing a comment
                lol

Name calling. A sure fire way to get your point across intelligently and politely. I'm not wrong, you just don't have the best reading comprehension to understand what is implied by using the word "flipping". There's literally six separate definitions in the Oxford dictionary for the word flipping. There must be ten thousand or more different contexts to use it in.

But NOOOOOOO... your way is the only correct way to employ the term.

yikes
                Last edited by User420111; 06-11-2022, 06:08 PM.

Flipping is to change the light timing.

Comment

That's all i was trying to get across the term flipping or flip means to experienced growers to change lighting. That's all and i'm sorry for the name calling and your misunderstanding of the term User420111 Oh and thanks for help in clarifieing what i was trying to express to the sayer Rwise your expertise is always appriciated.

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

User420111 The only clipping or pruning is done when I get a mature 5th node. I remove all growth below the fourth node and begin training. Then it's just a matter of tying down and separating nodes so they don't overlay and moving tie downs out when the branches turn back up to the light. I will remove fans that aren't getting light.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X