What is dirt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is dirt?

Hi all, I'm currently growing in this potting mix and think it's a little heavy. I was planning on adding some extra perlite and Coco mulch to it for the next grow. Then I read the ingredients, there's no dirt in it. (I guess I avoided the fine print when I bought it.) I know people grow in all kinds of media but I thought I was growing in dirt.

I was wondering what else I might put in from the start this time. Now I'm wondering if maybe I should put in a shovel or spade full of soil from my lawn. My plot was on a pig farm 100 years ago and I've grown some pretty good vegetables here. And if not that, then what might you recommend? (I'm thinking micro-nutes and things.)
    Last edited by 90Gizmo; 06-09-2022, 04:12 PM.
    Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
    Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
    Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Well you can google " what is dirt " that's all i'm gonna say on that ?????????? What's wrong with the ingrediants in that bag, i'd do what you planned add additional coco an perilite. I do not bring outdoor " dirt " into my indoor grow. Just use better pots and don't over feed the N nor overwater. Sometimes newbies get to complicated with weed .
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• 90Gizmo
      90Gizmo commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reply. "Plain as dirt" is an expression I grew up with. Honestly, I wouldn't know that dirt was complicated without Google and YouTube...

I'm hoping for taller plants next time. Seed catalog says 20 to 40 inches. My tallest is 22". I know height alone isn't the goal but I think my plants aren't as big as they could be. I do plan to go to three gallon grow bags instead of the 2-ish gallon plastic pots I have now as well. Thanks again for your help.

I would not bring outside dirt into the house. Too many bugs and stuff.

I use FoxFarm mixes but add perlite to reduce the water holding. 20% is too much and 10% wasn't enough. Doing 15% this time.

Comment

• 90Gizmo
      90Gizmo commented
      Editing a comment
      I see that FoxFarm planting mix contains dirt. They have that at the local nursery but I guess I left it because it said it was for outdoor use... That and that the Fafard was literally half the price had me walking away. I might have walked too soon. Thanks for letting me know the momma-bear dose for perlite! The Fafard mix says perlite but I think its just enough to list it on the ingredients. I wouldn't even count it in figuring out how much more to add.

When purchasing soil just look at the first ingredient as you did here. The first ingredient will be what the bag is mostly comprised of. If you want a more organic mix, make sure that first ingredient is aged forest material or something in that manner. A good organic mix you wont need anything but perlite, adding coco is a personal preference

I like using that happy frog to start seeds in because of the added mycorrhizae.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GroBuddy; 06-10-2022, 12:19 AM.

Comment

This stuff is good to but they all could use added perlite this on needs it as it doesn't come with it. Normally I'll just start seeds or add this as a top layer no perlite it holds moisture underneath top soil while providing some nutrients not alot but some
      Attached Files
      Last edited by GroBuddy; 06-10-2022, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• 90Gizmo
        90Gizmo commented
        Editing a comment
        I think if I had read labels that I would have bought this instead. Next time for sure.

• GroBuddy
        GroBuddy commented
        Editing a comment
        It's good just have to be a little more careful with ph using this one as it contains dolomite lime that'll raise soil ph. Why I normally just use it as a top layer vs a whole pot. I'll start in it only if I dont have happy frog or ocean forest.

Sorry but these are good to, my notes from transitioning from liquids to organics understanding what's in soil and why and how plants benefit help. Some of that has changed since that was before I started running organics the top dressing I changed as well as the teas I've altered using those listed added more
      Attached Files

Comment

• 90Gizmo
        90Gizmo commented
        Editing a comment
        This is really good stuff. Thank you. I've downloaded the images and created a small album to keep them in.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X