Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What am I doing wrong, buds aren't dense...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What am I doing wrong, buds aren't dense...

Hi Everyone,

Got a problem with my most recent grow, (Gelat.OG autos from Seedsman) I followed all the "rules" - temps in the 70's, humidity in the 50's, lights on 18/6, then 12/12 for flowering stage, set to about 16", etc.
    But almost from the beginning the buds were light and airy, never got really dense, grow lasted 75 days out of 80, covered with clear trichomes a few days before harvest, it smokes ok, not great.
    Kinda disappointed...

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
    GrumpyOldMan
    Here's what I've got:

4'x4'x80" Maxsisun tent
    2 - MF2000 Maxsisun 230w LED lights
    3 - 5 gal fabric containers -
    MotherEarth Coco bale 100% coco
    RapidRooter plugs
    390 CFM exhaust fan
    2 - 6" Fans
    1 - 12" Oscillating fan
    Fox Farm Nutrients - Hydroponic Food, Tiger Bloom, Big Bloom
    Cal-Mag
    Current grow - Gelat.OG x 3

You mentioned they were autos, but you still went to 12/12 light schedule during flower. I think most people keep 18/6 during flower with autos. Maybe this would of helped?

Comment

• jamesphoto
      jamesphoto commented
      Editing a comment
      Same thing I thought went I read it...😲

Light strength need a better light

I've grown autos during winter under 8 to 10 hours of light. Its quality of light bud, that causes light airy buds. I've grown under blurples, florescent and leds. My past knows larf and light airy buds well. Lol

need a minimum of 30watts a sqft with a quality led. ( horticultural lighting group, growers choice, Mars hydro FC-SERIES and FC-ESERIES only as examples ) using lesser quality lights more wattage is needed like with blurples I'd recommend 45 unless it's a blackdog.
    multiply your grow space and divide that by lights actual wattage pulled from the wall.
    4x4=16 540÷16=33 watts a sqft
    Last edited by GroBuddy; 05-29-2022, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Well it sounds like you harvested early to me? Each one of those lights draws 230w from the wall? Nothing wrong with that sounds like you jumped the gun perhaps harvested early?
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I think both of you hit the nail on the head, while I don't think it's a light strength issue, I've added a 3rd light so now I've got nearly 700 watts in a 4x4 grow tent,
        I DO think I screwed up by not giving it the 18/6 schedule, I also believe that I should've had the lights a little closer, oh well, on to my next grow, lessons learned...
        Here's what I've got:

4'x4'x80" Maxsisun tent
        2 - MF2000 Maxsisun 230w LED lights
        3 - 5 gal fabric containers -
        MotherEarth Coco bale 100% coco
        RapidRooter plugs
        390 CFM exhaust fan
        2 - 6" Fans
        1 - 12" Oscillating fan
        Fox Farm Nutrients - Hydroponic Food, Tiger Bloom, Big Bloom
        Cal-Mag
        Current grow - Gelat.OG x 3

Comment

^^^^ he's right that's what I get for skimming instead of reading that always makes one look like a dumbass.

Autos run atleast 100 days from seed most can run up to 120 days. Depending on when they transition and genetics could run a tad longer
          Last edited by GroBuddy; 05-29-2022, 01:35 PM.

Comment

It happens
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Hey SoOrbudgal, that looks like #1004, my favorite cow at my daughter in laws farm! Seriously though right on. Early Harvest Syndrome leads to disappointment and other things too. One other thing; what is the first thing one does to a “rock hard bud” before using it?? Ding! Time is up. If you answered break it up and make it airy you are correct. So don’t blame the air. Those buds should get fatter and more potent toward the end. I say this to remind myself come Sept. and Oct. perhaps run your light a bit closer in the middle to late part of flower.
              New indoors grower.
              super soil, Pmoss, perlite mix
              2-100w dimmable quantum led panels
              2’x3’ grow space lined with auto windshield reflectors.
              4” carbon filter + other exhaust fans + one 6” fan on the plants.
              Dyna Grow + nutrients

Comment

This is why im not a real big fan of autos. I grow photos mostly, have done lots of autos as well, but the buds cant be compared. Tried 18-6, 20-4, 24-0 in 3and 5 gallon pots...produced some very large healthy plants but the bud development has always been so-so. Haven't tried any with my new light so maybe i'll give er another go after i harvest my photos...got about 15 auto seeds in my current stock
                Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
                Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
                6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
                Canna Coco/perlite
                General Hydroponics Flora Series
                Cal/Mag.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You can get them dense with that light homegrown

I used to hate autos then we went recreational and I could grow outdoors but plants cant be seen over fence. Run them perpetually outdoors 8 to 12 plants at a time 3 times a year. I run a winter grow but less plants since I have to bring them in. Minimum 4oz a plant for minimum 32 oz those 3 times running 3 to 4 different stains a grow. I dont hate autos anymore lol I'll still grow photos 2ce a year indoors and make seeds looking for a auto I can cross with a nana glue photo to give a nana glue cross able to be harvested like autos.

Comment

My Gelat.OG autos from Seedsman were all dud seeds, if that makes you feel any better?
                  Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
                  Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
                  Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
                  Various size fabric grow bags
                  Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
                  4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
                  Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

• GroBuddy
                    GroBuddy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Then seed company wants to suggest its your method lol like nah biatch it's your seeds. I had 3 Alice in wonderland from Pacific seed bank not pop they sent 3 more Alice's those didn't pop, they did let me reorder for that cost, but I've used them alot.

• SoOrbudgal
                    SoOrbudgal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sadly we are all experiencing seed failures makes you wonder?

My last purchase from Seedman was awful. It was painfully obvious that the G13 Haze I received were not mature seeds. Only 2 of the 5 were viable and it took forever to germinate them.

Comment

• Puglover1
                    Puglover1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My last Seedsman order arrived fast and the plants beautiful, thriving girls .. but I got sick. Too sick to be able to text legibly so my nephew could pH two gallons for my pet caretaker to water them. All they needed was H2O until I got back home. But the WW seeds were 100% on germination. I bought more of those beans.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X