CRISPR + Cannabis -> Giant canna trees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CRISPR + Cannabis -> Giant canna trees?

This is highly speculative but it's a cool thought, I think.

I'd love to see a genetically engineered cannabis plant that grows to the size of and displays a duration of life similar to a large hardwood tree.

Taking closeup pictures within the canopy of a trained cannabis plant makes me want to move in and build a treehouse there.

I don't necessarily care about bud production, I just want the tree. I want to sit under it, climb it, build in it.

If it were possible to introduce genes that regulate sap production, say from a Sugar Maple, I definitely wouldn't mind sipping on some THC sap or sucking on a piece of Cannabis "fatwood" a la resinous conifers.

Presumably, though I'm very much an ignorant layman, we could introduce a mutation in which the THC sap doesn't require decarboxylation to induce psychoactive effects.

Thought some of you might like to riff on this idea.
    5 gallon DWC grower
    Blue Planet + Hydroguard + Terpinator

Successful 1st grow Summer '21 Lemon Haze Auto 🍋

Current: Strawberry Lemonade 🍓🍋
    Trying a "cross" manifold at nodes 2 + 3.
    Starting in AeroGarden. Transfer to 5 gal bucket.

Interested in incorporating Fibonacci relationships into all things.

That would be better with a fast growing plant like hops or potatoes, corn, yahoooooo
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• HIPHI
      HIPHI commented
      Editing a comment
      As long as we're fucking around with the genetic material we could probably increase the growth rate.

Well for that to happen, one would need to convert the cannabis plant from a annual to a perennial. I thought to myself, not a chance! So, had to google it ffs. Holy Shit! Yes it is possible! https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1109193431.htm I have no idea if that link works, im not too savvy with the copy paste stuff, but its there if you want to read it. One drawback is that it affects the flowering production of the plant. Anyone know a botanist?
    Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
    Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
    6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
    Canna Coco/perlite
    General Hydroponics Flora Series
    Cal/Mag.

Auto plants Strawberry Pie Auto(fast bud) Night Queen Auto(dutch passion) Chem Dog Auto(ethos) Unknown mix Auto(butterbean seeds)
    Photo plants Blue Cheese(butterbean seeds) Green Crack(Canuk seeds)
    Purple Gelatto(Canuk seeds)

Comment

• HIPHI
      HIPHI commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome. Great link.

I knew a dude that crossed cannabis with hops, they are cousins so it is possible, he had a vine that grew up into the trees and the buds hung down.

Comment

• Ckbrew
      Ckbrew commented
      Editing a comment
      Did they produce THC?

• HIPHI
      HIPHI commented
      Editing a comment
      Was he growing for the hops or the cannabis flower or just for shits n gigs?

• 90Gizmo
      90Gizmo commented
      Editing a comment
      Hops are perennials... What about the hybrid?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X